Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup "Guaranteed best price" vs First Root
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup "Guaranteed best price" vs First Root

ofitofit Member
edited September 2019 in General

Hello LET. Found an offer "Guaranteed best price" on netcup website vServer (VPS) tab.

What was write on it:

Guaranteed best price
We offer you the best price for comparable feature of our VPS offers. This guarantee is not restricted to offers from Germany. If you find another provider who offers a comparable vServer system for less, please contact our Support before placing your order. We will then beat the price offered by 10%.

I wrote to them about "Guaranteed best price" and have showed the KVM Power Start offer from First Root. I had comparing KVM Power Start with netcup VPS 500 G8 plan.

They had asked me many questions about provider and specifications but then said:

thank you for your message.

The performance and conditions must be at least equally good. Since e.g. the Ram is lower and you can upload your own operating system ISOs with us, we cannot carry out the price reduction.

I tried to challenge their arguments but still got the following answer.

thank you for your answer.

The best price guarantee can only be used if the competing product is at least equal in all points. However, this does not apply to RAM. Furthermore, you cannot upload your own ISO. For this reason it is not possible to use the best price guarantee.

Kind regard

Christian Liewald

netcup Team

I would agree with them if the cost of 40GB SSDs were less than 2GB of RAM or First Root provider used cheap equipment and so on, but this is not. @FR_Michael many times said that he use enterprise Hardware and so on.

In my opinion, they were confused by such a offer and decided to quit. i'm not from Europe Union and that mean that I'm not need pay VAT. I did not need offer from netcup because all netcup offers go with VAT but wanted to try how "Guaranteed best price" worked. Anyway i think netcup high quality provider, but "Guaranteed best price" is commercial step :).

What do you think about this situation? Please post your opinion.

KVM Power Start from First Root

2 shared CPU (CPU-Passthrough, Intel XEON Processor)
    2048 MB ECC Ram
    80 GB SSD
    5 TB @ 1 Gbit/s
    1 IPv4 address
    /64 IPv6
    F-Com Control Panel
    4 EUR / month without VAT or 43,20 EUR / year without VAT
    4,76 EUR / month with DE VAT or 51,41 EUR / year with DE VAT
VPS 500 G8

2 vCore
    4 GB RAM
    40 GB SSD (RAID10)
    40 TB Traffic
    Remote-Konsole uvm...
    4,29 EUR / month or 51,48 EUR / year with DE VAT (only 6 month contract, can't order for month)

Screenshots of email conversation

1 email

2 email

3 email

4 email

5 email

Comments

• I don't see much difference on pricing or specs to be start with. Shouldn't even ask for comparison.

Why not ask them to compare with contabo?

Thanked by 1manish
  • @mrclown said:

Its like comparing an Oneplus 7T with a Nokia 6310.
    You can make calls with both phones but .. uhm .. yea :P

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • double the ram will always give a reason to back out of such marketing guaranteed blabla. it's not comparable and that's it.
    challenge them on contabo and they probably tell you 100 Mbit is not comparable to what they offer. that's life.

Thanked by 1ofit
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2019

@ofit

If you like the First Root VPS so much (which I could understand) and it's cheaper too, why don't you simply buy it?
    If on the other hand you prefer the netcup VPS why don't you buy that and pay the - slightly higher - price?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • ofitofit Member
    edited September 2019

@mrclown said:
    I don't see much difference on pricing or specs to be start with. Shouldn't even ask for comparison.

Did not know about this provider. Price on couple cents cheaper on yearly plan in First Root. And 40GB SSD cost more than 2GB RAM for my mind.

• ofitofit Member
    edited September 2019

@fLoo said:

@mrclown said:

Its like comparing an Oneplus 7T with a Nokia 6310.
    You can make calls with both phones but .. uhm .. yea :P

I'm newbia at VPS market. Can you please explain why you think netcup better than First Root?

• @Falzo said:
    double the ram will always give a reason to back out of such marketing guaranteed blabla. it's not comparable and that's it.
    challenge them on contabo and they probably tell you 100 Mbit is not comparable to what they offer. that's life.

I think the same.

4 GB memory instead of 2 GB is far more valuable for most VPS users that double the disk space.

I don't see your point anyway because netcup is actually cheaper because AFAIK their price includes VAT, so your omparison is simply wrong.

Btw, is your time worthless, worth less than a couple of $ per year? I'm asking because you invested quite a lot of time and efforts to save less than 5$ per year.

• @jsg said:
    @mrclown

If you like the First Root VPS so much (which I could understand) and it's cheaper too, why don't you simply buy it?
    If on the other hand you prefer the netcup VPS why don't you buy that and pay the - slightly higher - price?

Are you drunk to tag me?

• @jsg said:

I'm not like or dislike First Root. I'm trying different providers for past 1,5 year to understand what provider good for me (my location). Because even good providers like LiteServer, UltraVPS and others not optimized for my location but other good providers like Inception Hosting, Netcup, First Root, Virmach in same locations work great for my location.

I have been a happy netcup client since last year. The problem is that I need more space, but 2GB RAM is enough. Just what First Root offers. If I buy 80 GB SSD from netcup then the price will be 89.88/year EUR against 43.20/year EUR. Which is almost 2 times more expensive. If i'm not seen different between VPS why pay more? That why i'm ask people on LET, because they have more experience with providers.

@mrclown said:
    Are you drunk to tag me?

Oops, my mistake. Apologies. It's corrected now.

• I found those "price match" or "price guarantee" offers quite useless in the past. No matter who provides them. It is always the same marketing blabla and when you try to nail them (again, no matter who) on their offer, then they always come back with evasiveness like that.

Thanked by 1ofit
  • @jsg said:
    4 GB memory instead of 2 GB is far more valuable for most VPS users that double the disk space.

For me not. Do not agree with you.

I don't see your point anyway because netcup is actually cheaper because AFAIK their price includes VAT, so your omparison is simply wrong.

Not. 51,41 EUR / year with DE VAT (first root) vs 51,48 EUR / year with DE VAT (netcup)

Btw, is your time worthless, worth less than a couple of $ per year? I'm asking because you invested quite a lot of time and efforts to save less than 5$ per year.

Already answered in previous post

• @Amitz said:
    I found those "price match" or "price guarantee" offers quite useless in the past. No matter who provides them. It is always the same marketing blabla and when you try to nail them (again, no matter who) on their offer, then they always come back with evasiveness like that.

Agree :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • mrclownmrclown Member
    edited September 2019

@jsg said:
    Oops, my mistake. Apologies. It's corrected now.

no worries mate.

@Amitz said:
    I found those "price match" or "price guarantee" offers quite useless in the past. No matter who provides them. It is always the same marketing blabla and when you try to nail them (again, no matter who) on their offer, then they always come back with evasiveness like that.

Some providers here and very handful amount in WHT honored that well but not 100% price match at all. While most are simply saying different reasons to refuse as you said.

Thanked by 1Amitz

@ofit said:
    I'm not like or dislike First Root. I'm trying different providers for past 1,5 year to understand what provider good for me (my location). Because even good providers like LiteServer, UltraVPS and others not optimized for my location but other good providers like Inception Hosting, Netcup, First Root, Virmach in same locations work great for my location.

I have been a happy netcup client since last year. The problem is that I need more space, but 2GB RAM is enough. Just what First Root offers. If I buy 80 GB SSD from netcup then the price will be 89.88/year EUR against 43.20/year EUR. Which is almost 2 times more expensive. If i'm not seen different between VPS why pay more? That why i'm ask people on LET, because they have more experience with providers.

Sorry but that's how things are. Providers define products, sometimes with upgrades available, and that's what you can buy. If you need 80 GB disk space then you must buy a VPS with 80 GB disk space.

But I've always found netcup support to be friendly. Maybe if you use a more direct and honest approach and simply ask them whether they could ad 40 GB disk space to your VPS or sell you a "bespoken" VPS for a reasonable price like 1.50 €/mo, they might be able and willing to do it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

General tip: Before looking for VPS offers be sure to have a small list with some parameters that are absolutely essential for you and either exclude offers that don't meet your requirements or ask them frontup whether they can change/upgrade their offer for your needs.

@ofit said:
    Not. 51,41 EUR / year with DE VAT (first root) vs 51,48 EUR / year with DE VAT (netcup)

You could have earned way more in the time you invested in saving 7 cents per year.

Good luck anyway.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2019

Wait. That whole discussion (also with Netcup) was about some cents per year? Sorry, I admit that I did not read the whole thread. Jesus.

• @jsg said:

@ofit said:

Sorry but that's how things are. Providers define products, sometimes with upgrades available, and that's what you can buy. If you need 80 GB disk space then you must buy a VPS with 80 GB disk space.

But I've always found netcup support to be friendly. Maybe if you use a more direct and honest approach and simply ask them whether they could ad 40 GB disk space to your VPS or sell you a "bespoken" VPS for a reasonable price like 1.50 €/mo, they might be able and willing to do it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

General tip: Before looking for VPS offers be sure to have a small list with some parameters that are absolutely essential for you and either exclude offers that don't meet your requirements or ask them frontup whether they can change/upgrade their offer for your needs.

Thanks for that. Did not think use support that way. I do not use support until everything works well.

@jsg said:

@ofit said:

You could have earned way more in the time you invested in saving 7 cents per year.

Good luck anyway.

As i said befor i want to understand how "Guaranteed best price" work.

I should have received an offer with a 10% discount. It’s a big difference to get an offer from netcup with 10% discount (offer that netcup not offer but exectly what i'm looking for) and this is much more than a couple of cents. Please be attentive. As I said earlier, I'm not live in EU and not need pay VAT, so even if they made me an offer, the price was higher than what First Root offers without VAT.

You could have earned way more in the time you post your commenst :). Thanks for your opinion.

@Amitz said:
    Wait. That whole discussion (also with Netcup) was about some cents per year? Sorry, I admit that I did not read the whole thread. Jesus.

Read above

@ofit

Haha, I'm under the impression that you generally like to have your very "individual perspective" or, in other words, to unnerve people with nitpicking and merciless "negotiating".

But you see if you pay no VAT and the price difference with VAT is 7 cents, then the difference without VAT isn't bigger.

Unlike netcup or First-Root however I'm not hoping to make a deal with you, so just f_ck off and unnerve someone else.

• It looks like you forgot to read the first post, but already commented.

I don’t know how you think about me, but for you I will make an exception and try to explain in a language that is accessible to you.

Firstly, It was the first ticket for 10 months of using netcup. I do not open tickets until there are technical malfunctions (unavailable, low speed, very high ping or similar problems) or I need help with payment.

Secondly, I accidentally stumbled upon the "Guaranteed best price" offer from netcup and followed what was written there. Choosed First Root because I consider it a good analogue of Netcup (at least for me). In the "Guaranteed best price" it is indicated that the price should be lower than the offer from Netcup and it does not matter if it is 1 cent or 1 dollar.

Thirdly. As I said, I do not live EU and my goal was not to get a cheap offer because First Root will have a lower price without VAT, but make sure that the "Guaranteed best price" from netcup works.

Netcup had a special offer with 2xCPU 4GB RAM 300GB SAS (Optain SSD cache) for 4.29 EURO which is more interesting to me than what they would offer with "Guaranteed best price". All my VPS are paid until Black Friday so I will wait until Black Friday. I hope to see there a similar offer from Netcup. But if not i have First Root.

I did not offend anyone or violated any rules. It doesn’t matter if I received an offer or not from Netcup since In any case, I received information that will help me and the people who will read this topic because users who will look for information on the "Guaranteed best price" from netcup on the Internet or on LET will not waste time scumbling about a lower price as I did. Users will not ask Netcup support about the "Guaranteed best price" if they read this topic, which will also save Netcup time. Also, when users will look for information about Netcup they will see that I said that First Root is an analogue i.e. again an advertisement for First Root. In the end, who will suffer from this post?
    As a result, everyone remained in positive except of me, who spent his time to publish this post and listen to insult from some users.

I wanted to ask LET users can i compare them or not (i mean they are equal or not). And why? As I said, I am new to the VPS market and maybe I don't know something.

I never said that netcup is a bad provider or something like that. I just wanted to say that the "Guaranteed best price" from netcup is not worth your attention since There is always a way to circumvent this warranty in order not to fulfill the conditions.

I also hope that I will not meet a provider like you. Although I am patient, I cannot stand a rude attitude. As I already said. Thank you for your opinion, but you came to my topic and be rude. So you should calm down. That's all. Thank.

• pavel... your last name and emailadress is visible in the screenshots above!

Thanked by 1ofit
  • UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

ofit said: Because even good providers like LiteServer, UltraVPS and others not optimized for my location

Can you please send me an affected IP address by PM? I'd like to have a look into this issue. Thank you!

• Just jump on their latest offer and stop whingeing before it runs out, the 6.99 8Gb offer is sold out. - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/160130/netcup-does-it-again-but-i-am-not-taking-the-bait-no-more-idling-for-me#latest

I will go for something like that when I get my OpenVZ 7 groove on, their nested virt needs to be paid for a year in advance.

• @hyperblast said:
    pavel... your last name and emailadress is visible in the screenshots above!

Thanks

• @rchurch said:
    Just jump on their latest offer and stop whingeing before it runs out, the 6.99 8Gb offer is sold out. - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/160130/netcup-does-it-again-but-i-am-not-taking-the-bait-no-more-idling-for-me#latest

I will go for something like that when I get my OpenVZ 7 groove on, their nested virt needs to be paid for a year in advance.

That was awesome offer, but for me half of that configs will be enough