Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you still order hosting if you knew this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you still order hosting if you knew this?

If you came across a provider who had this on their About page would you still order shared, reseller or unmanaged vps hosting from them? They don't have 100 people working for them, just themselves doing everything. They are a one man operation. They didn't own their servers but rented them. They provided support by ticket system only. Even though the business is new the owner has been around the hosting industry for years.

If you read all that on the About page on their site would you still order services or not? Are they being too honest with their customers or potential customers? Just how much information should a hosting provider share about themselves?

Comments

• Bluehost has lots of people working for them. Good luck with thay lol.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited September 2019

If price is low and vps outperforms the tag, why not?

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@level6 said:
    Bluehost has lots of people working for them. Good luck with thay lol.

He did not mention bluehost? What you talking about?

I think yes and no, some clients will order if they see the company is big enough, and some others like honesty more than anything and would order even from a one man hosting company.

• I love honesty. If an obviously solo host goes out of his way to use "We" and "Us" it's kinda a turn off for me, though I can see why they needa do that.

• @armandorg said:

@level6 said:
    Bluehost has lots of people working for them. Good luck with thay lol.

He did not mention bluehost? What you talking about?

I think yes and no, some clients will order if they see the company is big enough, and some others like honesty more than anything and would order even from a one man hosting company.

Your reading comprehension is really something. I was giving an example of a host with many people. Some of the best value hosts here are one person operations.

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • @caracal said:
    I love honesty. If an obviously solo host goes out of his way to use "We" and "Us" it's kinda a turn off for me, though I can see why they needa do that.

Transparency is a rare commodity in the web hosting biz. I like it.

• I'd look up reviews and read over their public posts (if there is any), to see how they handle themselves, then make a decision.

Most likely I would have no issue and still buy from them, unless there is a pattern of scammer accusations, or if they treat people like garbage publicly.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • It depends on whos buying the Hosting. Some will be happy to read that, some will not. So it depends on the audience, and since you can't make everyone happy - might as well be honest and deal with people that are okay with what you are as a company, instead of working on showing yourself to be more than what you actually are, and disappoint people while doing so. Cause its usually pretty easy to spot a one person business.
    With that being said - I personally prefer honesty and small businesses.

• I do not buy hosting off what their sites say or do not say. Their sites can say anything they want you to hear. I check facts, and reviews, and if that is not enough I check with who they say they are registered as a business with, or sole trader. The I would only do a monthly deal until I figure out if they are worth my time or not.

I have made this mistake before and it cost me quite a bit, now the process stays and there is no deviation.

• @JohnMiller92 @t0ny0 and @AuroraZ have said it all. Especially in the lowend market, it is difficult to pay wages, taxes and other costs and still profit. So it's common to see "one man show" shops and I don't see any problem with that.

I believe we should always consider the use case. For personal use, the one man show solution is perfectly suited, while for multi-million dollar mission critical applications maybe not ;-)

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

If company outsourcing the tech staff from elsewhere it doesn’t mean that support team is company staff so the legally still one person operated business with plenty of staff working for that company.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

There is probably no yes or no answer to that question.
    He can do a good job for years or he can simply mess up.
    If you don't know the person it is hard to judge.
    If it is about hosting a critical application, I personally only go with established providers I trust.
    If it is for a personal playground, I might give it a try and him a chance.
    If I feel like gambling, I might be crazy enough to spend a yearly payment.
    Otherwise I pay only monthly to reduce the loss in case of failure.

That's more or less my personal logic when I need to answer such a question.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited September 2019

For one-time service (not just hosting), it's not a problem. Like - having something fixed/done.
    For longer term service - there's one thing to consider:

Things like getting sick, or going on a vacation. You need to have that covered - somehow.

That's what I'd ask in the pre-sales, straight forward: what happens if a server is down and you are on a vacation, or spending a day at the hospital (God forbid)?

If the answer works for me, then it's good.

Honesty is a good thing, but (an extreme example) if the honest reply you get is "I'm clueless and inexperienced", you might reconsider hosting a business (money making) website with them.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • Yes yes I will because of honesty!

• For my own stuff providing they have a decent reputation yes, worst case something goes bang and I'm slightly inconvenienced.

For mission critical stuff where there's SLA's to answer to then I'd be looking for a bigger provider who have escalation contacts.etc

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

@geekyhillbilly said:
    If you came across a provider who had this on their About page would you still order shared, reseller or unmanaged vps hosting from them? They don't have 100 people working for them, just themselves doing everything. They are a one man operation. They didn't own their servers but rented them. They provided support by ticket system only. Even though the business is new the owner has been around the hosting industry for years.

If you read all that on the About page on their site would you still order services or not? Are they being too honest with their customers or potential customers? Just how much information should a hosting provider share about themselves?

Sounds like what I do. Why hire people if you don't need them? Why would I (ex) outsource support when I could do it? Same for management. Maybe they don't need the extra people right now or they aren't able to pay for someone full time in their country. I provide support via ticket only because it keeps you sane and everything is logged in the proper support channel. Doing live support over chat or phone can be hectic if A.) person is agitated or angry B.) if person expects instant fix for their problem C.) if your live support channel attracts trolls/spammers. Rented servers are fine if there a niche market for them but yeah if it's just a generic VPS then not really the best.

If you want the backbone of a large company for support or something then go for those, it's a personal choice. If it's for long term security of service then that really doesn't matter much imo. Only difference is a big company would sell out, a smaller company more than likely won't want to sell their client data if they get out of the business, but some do.

• I would order. Besides I get to pay with money which are not mine (belong to the bank) and have a value that is not established by me. So I would totally buy it.

• I'd probably stay clear of 'lifetime deals' unless they've been in business 3-4 years.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2019

We are two in the company, I and my girlfriend Sara. She handles marketing and finances while I handle the IT departament. Its basically a one man show. I dont see any issues with it personally. Granted that we will grow our team but the company needs to grow first.

• For non-mission-critical stuff, sure. Honesty is refreshing.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Company can be owned by a single person but it doesn't mean that they don't have staff and it's one man show.
    I will definitely buy if their price reasonable and if they solve my issue on time. It doesn't matter to me if they only provide support via ticket.

Also many I'll check for reviews and recommendations before buy anything..

• It is a non issue for me. Prefer to support the small town host.

For HA stuff though redundancy thru multiple providers across the globe.

I sure hope they made plans for service continuity in the event of any emergency exOne climbing exp co based out in the sierras the owner took a hard fall off a fkn rock ledge died people paid in advance never got their moneys worth and all.

• As long as they make money and you got reliable services, why not. Win-Win.

Thanked by 2vimalware Egyarmy
  • WOW!!!! Didn't expect so many replies so quickly! The reason I made the post in the first place is because I was going to start a hosting service. I have always been an honest man and have been accused a time or two of being too honest for my own good. I just always believed in letting people know the good and the bad about something upfront and then let them decide. That's why I could never be a used car salesman. I would rather the service be more for say developers or personal websites or people who want to host something that's not really mission critical and I would mention that on my site. If they had a large business with a lot of customers depending on them then I would recommend that they go with a more established host. As for the servers, they are two dedicated servers that customers would be on. I just wanted to see what others thought and if people would actually order services or be turned away because they found out it was a small operation. Really appreciate everyone's input. I knew if there was a place to find an answer it would here. This community is really great! Thanks again for all the replies!!!

• $7

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • me expecting drama, but you bring this soft shit.

Thanked by 1Blazing
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2019

I dont really mind as I never really tend to use the support system unless something goes wrong on providers end.

I have 3 VPS on MikeA which is TS3 and other stuff and they run just fine even if its one man company. Would I consider paying more for a bigger brand with same features? Maybe, but so far theres only two providers I know which offer OVH Game VPS cheap (under 20 USD/m) and have custom whmcs plugin which allows you to access network firewall rules via OVH API to make changes in game firewall.

If you can automate most of the stuff, whats the use of having more people?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @geekyhillbilly said:
    The reason I made the post in the first place is because I was going to start a hosting service. I have always been an honest man and have been accused a time or two of being too honest for my own good.

Am I the only one who read between OP's lines correctly?
    YES, you can start a host.

I am subscribed to more than 2-3, one-man operations, because I trust the character of the person behind them.

Hang around. Engage with the community.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Should you store your bitcoin with a one man show? No.

But you can with a one man hosting company if you have backups and knowledge to move said data easily.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalware said: Am I the only one who read between OP's lines correctly?

Nope chose to ignore it and give some advice instead of the usual rant.