Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone interested in dedicated servers in Prague, CZ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone interested in dedicated servers in Prague, CZ?

FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
edited September 2019 in Providers

Hey,
I'm trying to figure out if there's any interest in dedicated servers on a good network in Central Europe – Prague, CZ.

I'm thinking we could do provide this (or similar) config:

• E5-2650 (8 cores, 16 threads, 2GHz clock, 2.8GHz turbo)
  • 64GB RAM
  • 500GB/2x240GB SSD OR 2TB/2x1TB HDD
  • Permanent IPMI / KVMoIP
  • 50 TB bandwidth on a 1G port | /29 IPv4, /48 IPv6 | Free BGP/Bring your own IPs

72 EUR / 80 USD per month

Obviously with the option to alter resources (add a second CPU, add/remove RAM, add disks etc…) for price discount/increase.

Would anyone be interested in such configurations?

//EDIT: If you would like another configuration instead, please let me know which one.
Oops, editing my post resets the poll.

Question Time:
  1. Are you interested?37 votes
    1. Yes
      27.03%
    2. Yes, but I want another configuration (tell me which one)
      18.92%
    3. No
      54.05%

Comments

• dz_pajidz_paji Member
    edited September 2019

"Yes" option cant be chosen.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@dz_paji said:
    "Yes" option cant be chosen.

Sorry, fixed. Also, if you want another configuration, please tell me which one :wink:

• I personally do not require such a server, but honestly - if I ever did - Skylon would be my go-to place for that, as I have been nothing but happy with my VPS there.

Thanked by 2FHR vimalware
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Yes - kind of. I think that Prague, CZ is an excellent choice for a location, but ...

• if it's not cheaper than DE locations it's not attractive
    • I personally find 72€ for an 8 core mid range Xeon system (as specified) too expensive
    • I'd be interested in either a clearly cheaper (read: older, e.g. 2450) System or a significantly better one (read: AMD 8 to 12 cores).
    • 5o TB traffic is nice but way too much. I'd prefer to pay less and only have say 10 TB with a cheap option to upgrade bw.

All in all I think that Prague would be a good location mainly for cheap dedis which also would help acceptance (again: being more expensive than a DE location is not an option).

Thanked by 1dragon1993

@jsg said:
    Yes - kind of. I think that Prague, CZ is an excellent choice for a location, but ...

• if it's not cheaper than DE locations it's not attractive
    • I personally find 72€ for an 8 core mid range Xeon system (as specified) too expensive
    • I'd be interested in either a clearly cheaper (read: older, e.g. 2450) System or a significantly better one (read: AMD 8 to 12 cores).
    • 5o TB traffic is nice but way too much. I'd prefer to pay less and only have say 10 TB with a cheap option to upgrade bw.

All in all I think that Prague would be a good location mainly for cheap dedis which also would help acceptance (again: being more expensive than a DE location is not an option).

Thank you for the feedback - completely see your point, especially since Hetzner is just around the corner. With that said, Hetzner uses desktop hardware on their cheap servers, which I'm trying to avoid (and can't really compete with) and would like to offer redundant PSUs and stuff instead…
    But I guess we're on LowEndTalk after all.

Would a setup for the same price, but a dual E5-2650 (possibly v2) instead be more interesting?

Regarding your point about bandwidth, it's fairly cheap for us so we can offer a lot.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard

@FHR said:
    Thank you for the feedback - completely see your point, especially since Hetzner is just around the corner. With that said, Hetzner uses desktop hardware on their cheap servers, which I'm trying to avoid (and can't really compete with) and would like to offer redundant PSUs and stuff instead…

Would a setup for the same price, but a dual E5-2650 (possibly v2) instead be more interesting?

Regarding your point about bandwidth, it's fairly cheap for us so we can offer a lot.

Frontup for the sake of fairness: While I try to think generally (what would many users think?") I'm probably not the type of customer you try to attract. My main dedi (which has me perfectly happy) is a dual 2450L with 44 GB memory, 250 or so GB SSD, 5 IPs, and 10 TB iirc for a bit under 50€. That box is considerably slower than yours but it's all I need plus some reserve.

As for your question, of course making it a dual 2650 v2 changes a lot and makes your offer considerably more attractive. I'd like to think that I'm still the wrong addressee but many might like it, but frankly, I don't think so. Simple reason, again: Europe is seen (by many) as being DE, FR, NL ... plus UK ... and ... then ... eastern Europe and servers in eastern Europe are supposed to be cheaper, period.

I personally like Prague and consider it be "almost DE" but many (most?) probably just see it in the eastern Europe drawer. And honestly, why would anyone pay DE or NL prices for a server in Prague?

TL;DR Making it a dual 2650 helps a lot but the vast majority of candidates will think "I don't need 50 TB" and "Huh? Same price in Prague as in Germany? No!".

But you mentioned something that is important to many (certainly to me): Professionalism, e.g. dual PS. I think you should stress that point more. Maybe even offer a cheap (but good) link to your main location in DE and then run a "Dual everything. Professional dedi" promo. "dual CPU, dual disks, dual locations with interconnection, dual bandwidth 2x25TB included". And then wrap it creating the feeling "He can do that for that price only because it's in eastern Europe" (and make the german pendant 10+% more expensive).

Thanked by 2FHR Chievo
  • Can you colocate singleboard computers like a Raspberry Pi too?

• dmca ignored :cookie: ?

As I come across this again, let me make another suggestion that I think will seriously increase attractivity yet cost little:

Why either 2x240 SSD -or- 2x 2TB? I think 1 x 100 or so GB SSD plus 2 x 2 TB spindles would make that offer quite a bit more attractive. Maybe even offer up to 2 x 10TB spindles (for a higher price of course).

• For me dual cpu version (v2) could be i interesting.

• fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited November 2019

With that said, Hetzner uses desktop hardware on their cheap servers, which I'm trying to avoid (and can't really compete with) and would like to offer redundant PSUs and stuff instead…

That seems a bit disingenuous talking about quality hardware when proposing a CPU thats nearly 8 years old. How will you even get spares for such motherboards etc.., ebay? pillage the local computer museum?

To be clear, I'm not saying there no use for these old power hungry machines, and indeed even big boys like Hetzner/OVH offer old CPUs in their range, but I think you have to accept the reality that you are competing in such arena, the discount arena, you can't pull your level up and above and turn your nose up at it all (to quote "this is LET after all" etc..) whilst using dated hardware..

• @FHR said:
    Hey,
    I'm trying to figure out if there's any interest in dedicated servers on a good network in Central Europe – Prague, CZ.

I'm thinking we could do provide this (or similar) config:

• E5-2650 (8 cores, 16 threads, 2GHz clock, 2.8GHz turbo)
    • 64GB RAM
    • 500GB/2x240GB SSD OR 2TB/2x1TB HDD
    • Permanent IPMI / KVMoIP
    • 50 TB bandwidth on a 1G port | /29 IPv4, /48 IPv6 | Free BGP/Bring your own IPs

72 EUR / 80 USD per month

Obviously with the option to alter resources (add a second CPU, add/remove RAM, add disks etc…) for price discount/increase.

Would anyone be interested in such configurations?

//EDIT: If you would like another configuration instead, please let me know which one.
    Oops, editing my post resets the poll.

Hetzner offers best things for a cheaper price. Reconsider it. If someone is interested in a dedicated server would choose hetzner. You must offer better features or cheaper price than them. If not it would not work.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
    edited November 2019

@fpmagic said:

With that said, Hetzner uses desktop hardware on their cheap servers, which I'm trying to avoid (and can't really compete with) and would like to offer redundant PSUs and stuff instead…

That seems a bit disingenuous talking about quality hardware when proposing a CPU thats nearly 8 years old. How will you even get spares for such motherboards etc.., ebay? pillage the local computer museum?

To be clear, I'm not saying there no use for these old power hungry machines, and indeed even big boys like Hetzner/OVH offer old CPUs in their range, but I think you have to accept the reality that you are competing in such arena, the discount arena, you can't pull your level up and above and turn your nose up at it all (to quote "this is LET after all" etc..) whilst using dated hardware..

Uhm, it's a well established fact that virtually all providers - incl. the big brands - use old hardware in the price range that's relevant for LET.

@FHR is perfectly right to mention that he uses server hardware while many providers use desktop hardware. Most servers from halfway reputable companies are built to last and also for a DC environment. Plus they have things like IPMI on board that you won't find on a desktop.

And "old" is relative. For example I have access to a Sun server that is from the 90ies and is still in use at a large institute. That box still kicks quite a lot of cheap VPSs.
    Also, e.g. a new current version E-26xx with 8+ cores costs north of $1500 while a v3 8+ cores is more like $250 - and usually one needs 2 of those because the servers usually have dual core main boards. When playing in the LET range getting 80% to 90% of the performance for less than 20% the price absolutely makes sense. And btw, it's rarely the CPU that dies in a server, it's usually HDDs or PSs.

Also, most LET dedis do not come with dual PS. That @FHR's dedis do come with dual PSs is a big fat plus.

Edit: Oh and you wrong with "old power hungry machines" too. Most cheap dedis come with low power CPUs (e.g. 2450L, L56xx, etc) and the power beasts (performance) don't use much less el. power than the old ones (say, post 2009).

@Chievo

Congratulations on your promotion from serially opening threads with (often newbie) questions to the position of providing insight to people like @FHR who really know their business and offer fine provider services ...

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@FHR is prem, he knows what he is doing. I agree the dedi could be a bit better for 70EUR, but you are getting a premium service. After all, you do get what you pay for. And that is what you are paying for here. Give Filip ideas and he runs with them.

I have a few E5-1650 V3 at Hetzner, they work fine for what they are needed for. But the one thing I miss is IPMI, in case anything goes wrong we have to wait for Hetzner to add their KVM/LARA and sometimes that can be an hour plus wait. Having that permanent IPMI is a lifesaver when you really need it.

That is the difference between companies using desktop-grade motherboards and server motherboards with the added IPMI being a lifesaver. Plus parts are always available.

Maybe go for a V2 processor, and keep everything else the same. I'm glad you went with two SSD's though, instead of the one most companies provide these days.

I'm surprised anyone found this thread after so much time had passed. Thanks for the additional insight everyone.

@MarkLuun said:
    Can you colocate singleboard computers like a Raspberry Pi too?

Unfortunately not, I do not see Raspberry colocation / dedicated servers as viable.

Thanks to the high administrative overhead (SD cards dying, having to create yet another provisioning system, figuring out custom chassis, frequent trips to the DC), it would have to be fairly expensive. And nobody is going to buy a 15 EUR/m Raspberry when a 5 EUR/m VPS provides higher power, more convenience and is more reliable.

@donko said:
    dmca ignored :cookie: ?

No.

jsg said: Why either 2x240 SSD -or- 2x 2TB? I think 1 x 100 or so GB SSD plus 2 x 2 TB spindles would make that offer quite a bit more attractive.

That's an interesting proposition - and now that you mention it, this sort of dual storage could be interesting on VPS as well.