Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there money in developing WHMCS modules?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there money in developing WHMCS modules?

As I understand modules or plugins or whatever they are called is something that you can develop for WHMCS to enhance its functionality. Is there money in developing modules for WHMCS?

And do you need to buy some developer license to make modules?

I am sure there are thousands of modules already created and the market may be saturated but still can you give any idea where there is still room for improvement?

Comments

• From my prospective there is plenty of missing modules that can be created.
    Then I don't think that custom modules jobs are ever missing.

If you don't get your modules nulled, then yes, there is money.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • As a developer do you require WHMCS license?

• alilet said: As a developer do you require WHMCS license?

Requires a developers license AFAIK.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • SoftShellWebSoftShellWeb Member, Patron Provider

WHMCS does offer a second development license which can be obtained for free if you purchased your license directly from them.
    There are plenty of hosts using WHMCS as their billing cms, so in my opinion there is plenty of room for improvement and new modules to be developed.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @alilet said:
    As a developer do you require WHMCS license?

You need a license for testing and development purposes.

Additional resources that may be useful for you:

https://developers.whmcs.com/
    https://whmcs.community/forum/41-developer-corner/

Thanked by 1alilet
  • Thanks for the comment everyone. So what are some areas that can be improved using module?

• @alilet said:
    Thanks for the comment everyone. So what are some areas that can be improved using module?

https://requests.whmcs.com/ is probably a good (slightly sneaky) place to get some ideas! Won't all be possible but am sure there's a lot that could be implemented as a module.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @Fizzadar said:

@alilet said:
    Thanks for the comment everyone. So what are some areas that can be improved using module?

https://requests.whmcs.com/ is probably a good (slightly sneaky) place to get some ideas! Won't all be possible but am sure there's a lot that could be implemented as a module.

This is great!

• You can build modules like extended cpanel/directadmin and sell it at monthly price or one time.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @LowVM said:
    You can build modules like extended cpanel/directadmin and sell it at monthly price or one time.

You mean develop modules for cpanel and directadmin?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Niche modules. I've had things made like a module to manage giveaways/raffles because nobody had one made already. Make them a higher price if it's something few people would use. People would buy it if they really want it.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2019

Yes, if you are skilled you can make as much as $7/mo from developing WHMCS modules. Just enough to pay for a VPS.

Thanked by 1imok
  • LowVMLowVM Member
    edited September 2019

@alilet said:

@LowVM said:
    You can build modules like extended cpanel/directadmin and sell it at monthly price or one time.

cPanel and Directadmin module for WHMCS.

Develop module for Blesta. There is good demand for modules in blesta.

Thanked by 2alilet alento
  • The real money is in CraftCMS modules and the add-on segment isn't saturated.

• It seems barrier to entry in Blesta development is high because its cheapest license costs $250 (one time) while WHMCS is $18.75/month.

• @LowVM said:

@alilet said:

@LowVM said:

Aren't cpanel and directadmin admin panels like WHMCS? So this integration between cpanel and WHMCS doesn't make sense to me! Or may be I am missing something?

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

Here's an idea.

ServerPing used to offer a provisioning module based on configurable option.

For example, you offer hosting services in 5 locations. You could select a location during paling the order and the module would create an account on a server from that location.

Don't know why, they no longer offer that module.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

@MechanicWeb said:
    Here's an idea.

ServerPing used to offer a provisioning module based on configurable option.

For example, you offer hosting services in 5 locations. You could select a location during paling the order and the module would create an account on a server from that location.

Don't know why, they no longer offer that module.

ModulesGarden offers that, it's called 'ServerAllocator' which uses the configuration or addon options to then select a server/location - we use it and works well but don't see why some one couldn't create an alternative to it :)

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

HostMedia said: ModulesGarden offers that, it's called 'ServerAllocator' which uses the configuration or addon options to then select a server/location - we use it and works well but don't see why some one couldn't create an alternative to it

What they did is too complicated for WHMCS. The application itself is quite large. I do not like tinkering with WHMCS DB so much which can otherwise be done without even touching the DB.

• @alilet said:
    As I understand modules or plugins or whatever they are called is something that you can develop for WHMCS to enhance its functionality. Is there money in developing modules for WHMCS?

And do you need to buy some developer license to make modules?

I am sure there are thousands of modules already created and the market may be saturated but still can you give any idea where there is still room for improvement?

How about for Wisecp?

• In short, Yes. I've made OK-ish to Good money by developing a few WHMCS modules.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@MechanicWeb said:

HostMedia said: ModulesGarden offers that, it's called 'ServerAllocator' which uses the configuration or addon options to then select a server/location - we use it and works well but don't see why some one couldn't create an alternative to it

What they did is too complicated for WHMCS. The application itself is quite large. I do not like tinkering with WHMCS DB so much which can otherwise be done without even touching the DB.

It works very well. I dont think its heavy at all.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@LowVM said:

@alilet said:
    It seems barrier to entry in Blesta development is high because its cheapest license costs $250 (one time) while WHMCS is $18.75/month.

Uhmm, check again .... did you click the monthly options button? You were likely only looking at the one time plan. The lowest is $12.95 for the branded license. Also, some providers, such as BuyVM/BuyShared, are offering free Blesta licenses.

Personally after the cPanel fiasco, I'd like to see much more attention being paid to Blesta ... before Oakley starts to charge WHMCS users per client!

Thanked by 1alilet
  • alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@alilet said:

@LowVM said:

@alilet said:

@LowVM said:

Aren't cpanel and directadmin admin panels like WHMCS? So this integration between cpanel and WHMCS doesn't make sense to me! Or may be I am missing something?

WHMCS is NOT an admin panel. It is client billing software. Maybe you've confused it with cPanel's WHM?

• This hard way to find good WHMCS developer who knows what to do. For example, we still looking for Good one. So yes I suppose there is good money in WHMCS devs

• @sdglhm said:
    In short, Yes. I've made OK-ish to Good money by developing a few WHMCS modules.

How do I retrieve product properties if I know its ID? I know one way of doing is to query tblproducts table. I guess another way of doing is to call the API. But I also found following link which states product properties and methods. How do I use this? There doesn't seem to be any example available.

https://classdocs.whmcs.com/7.8/WHMCS/Product/Product.html

• Use a model's static find() method to locate a record by its primary key. find() retrieves the record or returns null if the record doesn't exist in the database. Alternatively, use the static findOrFail() method to throw an exception instead of retuning a null value if the record isn't found.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Using_Models#Retrieving_Records

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @alilet said:

@sdglhm said:
    In short, Yes. I've made OK-ish to Good money by developing a few WHMCS modules.

How do I retrieve product properties if I know its ID? I know one way of doing is to query tblproducts table. I guess another way of doing is to call the API. But I also found following link which states product properties and methods. How do I use this? There doesn't seem to be any example available.

https://classdocs.whmcs.com/7.8/WHMCS/Product/Product.html

I started to develop stuff for WHMCS more than 10 years ago. If you want to fly high, I suggest you NOT TO rely on any function, class, model or library included in this software. Let me give you an example.

Years ago interacting with database was possible with "SQL Helper Functions" that were very limited and frustrating to use. Years later they have been deprecated and replaced by Laravel that is even worse to use.

Do you like the idea of rethinking all your scripts every time WHMCS change its mind about something? It happened so many times and you have no control over this. That's why this is a big «No» for me.

If you want to create something big, I recommend you to create your own framework and methods that will work even when WHMCS deprecate or change something. It takes time but it's worth it.

Don't get me wrong, having classes, models, libraries etc. is fine for newbies, non-developers or developers whose focus is to create small modules. I mean, why on earth would you use the super-verbose Laravel when you already know how interact with database with PDO/Mysqli?

@alilet said:
    Is there money in developing modules for WHMCS?

Yes but, at least in my case, modules are just a way to acquire new customers. Real money come from custom projects and dedicated support. Imagine how much you can earn from providers that earn 20-250k euro / month. Of course before you can reach this goal you need to master WHMCS more than their own developers. It took me 10 years and I'm still learning lol.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @Katamaze said:
    Don't get me wrong, having classes, models, libraries etc. is fine for newbies, non-developers or developers whose focus is to create small modules. I mean, why on earth would you use the super-verbose Laravel when you already know how interact with database with PDO/Mysqli?

One word. Consistency.

Thanked by 1Tr33n
  • Katamaze said: I started to develop stuff for WHMCS more than 10 years ago. If you want to fly high, I suggest you NOT TO rely on any function, class, model or library included in this software.

I just gave an answer to his question. For backward compatibility i would also suggest not to rely on these models. As far i know, there are nowhere information which WHMCS version support which classes / models, but i do not agree with the laravel stuff you said.

Katamaze said: Years later they have been deprecated and replaced by Laravel that is even worse to use.

Even though the last WHMCS releases were pretty shitty, WHMCS continues to evolve. A good sign. Laravel can be awesome for development, it is very unlikely that WHMCS will remove laravel in the foreseeable future.

Apart from that, WHMCS has even rebuilt the mysql functions (eg mysql_fetch_array), so that this deprecated function still works with current PHP versions and old WHMCS modules.

Even WHMCS itself is not fully migrated to laravel. If you look at the source code, you can see that they still use the deprecated functions in some parts of the code (yes, sometimes it is necessary to look at the source code of WHMCS on any of the "decoded WHMCS" github pages, as the documentation is often not clear enough).