Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improve your hosting setup - Let's Play A Game
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Improve your hosting setup - Let's Play A Game

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited August 2019 in General

So the idea is to answer these 5 questions/statements at the best once ever so often, to keep track of your setup.

Simply fill out the brackets and add some further explanation if you want:

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with [Provider] because...[reason]

2) The latest outage of my services has been on [date] and lasted [time]. [Provider] did a [good/bad/7$] job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have [no/daily/weekly/monthly/yearly] backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes [Provider/me (if provider is deadpooling)] about [estimated time] to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be [Provider] because...
Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be [Provider] because... .

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be [Provider] because they have this awesome feature..

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implent it would be...because

Let's go :)

Comments

• solairesolaire Member
    edited August 2019

You might want to ditch the "current month and year", as a post already includes that, even on Vanilla. And frankly, nobody remembers specific dates..

1) In 2019 I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with InceptionHosting because good stuff

2) In 2019 the latest outage of my services has been last week and lasted few hours. HostHatch did a good job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool in 2019, I would have daily backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about 4 hours to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes in 2019 it would be InceptionHosting because good stuff.
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider in 2019 it would be N/A because all good.

Thanked by 3Ympker uptime ITLabs
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2019

@solaire said:
    You might want to ditch the "current month and year", as a post already includes that, even on Vanilla. And frankly, nobody remembers specific dates..

1) In 2019 I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with InceptionHosting because good stuff

2) In 2019 the latest outage of my services has been last week and lasted few hours. HostHatch did a good job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool in 2019, I would have daily backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about 4 hours to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes in 2019 it would be InceptionHosting because good stuff.
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider in 2019 it would be N/A because all good.

Removed the date prompt :) Added two more^^

1) In 2019 I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with Hostmantis because performance has been great and I have still a couple of months before having to decide whether I stick with them or not.

2) In 2019 I don't remember any significant outage. The last downtime reported by my Uptimerobot was on InfinityFree Nameservers on 2019-08-24 22:31:42 for 12 minutes. Given that he service is free and I did not encounter a downtime of my website as a result, I wouldn't give it any thought.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool in 2019, my provier would have daily backups in place. I would have weekly backups (only personal sites right now). From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about 30-60 minutes to restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes in 2019 it would be Smallweb because @Mic-hael shows us what is possible with even a tiny shared plan :)

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be LunaNode because I have free credit and they have some cool opions to tweak your experience like custom scripts/ISO/Snapshots/Volumes/Firewall.. and everything works smoothly so far.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implement it would be automated migration like Brixly does because it eases the workflow.

Thanked by 2solaire MichaelCee
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

The answer to all six is O V H.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • UndergridUndergrid Member
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with Hetzner because... they have unbeatable value for money

2) The latest outage of my services has been on 8th July and lasted 22 Mins. Inception Hosting did a good job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have a mix of daily and weekly backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about a few hours (for the most important services) to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be N/A because...
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be N/A because... .

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be DigitalOcean because they have this awesome feature.. no particular feature, they are just good.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implent it would be 2FA on their control panels...because security is good!

Thanked by 2Ympker Hetzner_OL
  • imokimok Member

Sorry. I'm too lazy.

I love @VirMach, Incero and Inception Hosting. I don't remember when the latest outage happened. Daily backups. 2 hours to be back on production by myself.

If something goes really wrong with them, Lunanode and Vultr to the rescue.

Thanked by 2Ympker ITLabs
  • 1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with BuyVM and AWS because... BuyVM: Cheap and free licenses, AWS: AWS Amplify is so easy and simple

2) The latest outage of my services has been in the last month and lasted a few hours. BuyVM did a good job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have daily/weekly backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about 6 hours to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be HostDoc because... very lowend budget-wise, prem service and support
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be Cycloneservers because... they are terrible but still haven't deadpooled...

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be AWS because they have this awesome feature.. tons of free credit!

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implement it would be free DirectAdmin / other software licenses because who doesn't love those <3

Thanked by 3ITLabs Ympker uptime
  • rzlostyrzlosty Member
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with BuyVM/Buyshared because... since 2015 I've hardly had any problems. I also like to think I am supporting @Francisco and it makes me feel good to know that my (admittedly small) monthly payment is going towards improving someone's life and not just into the pockets of a big faceless business.

2) The latest outage of my services has been on 2019-08-16 09:02:41 and lasted 15 mins. BuyVM did a good job in resolving the issue (which I didn't even notice and doesn't really matter all that much for the few personal sites I host).

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have some weekly backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about 30 mins to restore the backups. (most of my sites are personal static landing pages and I just keep a copy of the site before I upload onto the server, so daily backups are not really required).

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be BuyVM **because... **why not? His service is solid and he keeps adding more and more free shit and how can anyone say no to that?

I don't usually subscribe to the hype around certain members here or companies but I don't have a bad word to say about Fran / BuyVM.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be Vultr **because **they are the only hourly billing VPS company I have used, and for the amount of testing I do, I spend less than £10 per year! Other brands exist and I am sure they are just as good.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implement it would be... free extra features because I'm cheap and I don't use any of my servers for commercial use, so the option to use paid software/extras for free is great to enable me to learn and play about with stuff!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Cool to see so many of you guys participate :) Keep the posts coming! Always nice to see what setup others have^^

1. impactvps, because of dead cheap price and resource pools, so i can spin up vpses easily and can allocate ram,space as i need between all vpses.

2. most of my vpses are development based so i really don't care and i don't remember i have seen any downtimes in last 2-3 years with impactvps or DO

3. i didn't pay much to this but i keep some backups and all the data is in git

4. pass

5. DO
    6. upgrade to openVZ7, docker support, openlitespeed
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with OVH because they give me lots of storage for fuck all money, and I have a bunch of specials I can't let go of.

2) The latest outage of my services has been on 23/8 and lasted is still ongoing. HostSolutions did a bad job in resolving the issue. (It's still ongoing)

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have daily backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes OVH and I about 2 days to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be InceptionHosting because Ant is always coming up with the sext UK-based offers.
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be HostSolutions because.you need to know what you're signing up for.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be no-one because I don't operate in that space and have no clue who can do what. I use Azure professionally and hate it with a passion, so sweet clear of that.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implement it would be BIG FUCKING STORAGE OPTIONS.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with Hetzner because they're affordable, have a good connection to both my country and worldwide and their cloud environment usually works

2) The latest outage/degradation of my services has been on a month ago and lasted few hours (Ceph related issue/100% iowait). Hetzner did a N/A job in resolving the issue because I migrated my Cloud VM myself using snapshots.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have daily/weekly backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about few hours to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be DataPacket because we've been very happy with their colo services and knowledgeable support teams.
    Don't want to warn about any particular provider, just do due diligence before buying from anyone (like checking if the company exists, or if terms of service/about us page even mention the company behind it)

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be … I can't really answer this question as my response would be "myself/SkylonHost", and I've been using that for whenever I need to test something.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implement it would be an option to bring in your own IP ranges, or even better BGP

• @Nekki said:
    1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with OVH because they give me lots of storage for fuck all money, and I have a bunch of specials I can't let go of.

2) The latest outage of my services has been on 23/8 and lasted is still ongoing. HostSolutions did a bad job in resolving the issue. (It's still ongoing)

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have daily backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes OVH and I about 2 days to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be InceptionHosting because Ant is always coming up with the sext UK-based offers.
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be HostSolutions because.you need to know what you're signing up for.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be no-one because I don't operate in that space and have no clue who can do what. I use Azure professionally and hate it with a passion, so sweet clear of that.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implement it would be BIG FUCKING STORAGE OPTIONS.

Thanks for commenting^^ Let' hope @cociu gets things working soon again :)

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with OVH because their DDoS protection is amazing and they’ll happily tank all the attacks that I get when I visit (insert_summer_host_here)’s IP grabber by mistake. (usually happens after I/another staff member bans them)

2) The latest outage of my services has been on anyNode and lasted for a MASSIVE TWO MINUTES. anyNode did a $6.99 job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have weekly backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes Hetzner/OVH about an hour replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be InceptionHosting because of Ant’s hawt birthday offers.
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be HostSolutions.ro because of their lack of a PR/disaster recovery team.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be Vultr because they have stellar support and most importantly: FREE BGP. You hear that, DigitalOcean?

6) If there was a feature I’d like to see (more) providers implement it would be: snapshots. They make life sooooooo much easier when you need to ex. move a VPS to another location.

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with OVH because of the DDOS protection as well as unlimited traffic!

2) The latest outage of my services has been on 27/07/2019 and lasted 5 hours. LunaNode did nothing in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have two type of backups daily backups for normal servers and no backups for "summer hosts" servers in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes OVH about a hour to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be Leaseweb because of the custom deals!
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be HostSolutions because if the free beta testing from your own pocket!

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be Vultr because they have so many locations!

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implent it would be unlimited traffic...because estimating expenses makes a breeze

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • edfoxedfox Member
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with Contabo because their VPS SSD XL server is actually as powerful as a dedicated and they seem very stable.

2) The latest outage of my services has been on sometime in August and lasted almost a day or so. Francisco was basically sleeping.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have weekly backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about less than one hour to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be BuyVM because... they know what they are doing
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be Contabo because it's not actually bad, but you have to be careful with it.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be Hetzner because they have this awesome feature.. awesome price/performance ratio

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implent it would be cheap storage blocks because i need to scale

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with OVH because they offer pretty good connectivity and DDoS protection at a low price point.

2) The latest outage of my services has been in June and lasted about an hour. OVH did an okay job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have weekly backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes OVH about 4 hours to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be First Root because my VPS with them has a pretty good performance and @FR_Michael knows what he's talking about.
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be Time4VPS because their servers are slower than a two legged dog on tranquilizers.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be CloudVPS because they are a company I have worked with in the past and did a good job. You can also bring your own IP-space and duplicate your data to 3 different locations.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see more providers implent it would be 2FA for logging in on customer panels because security rules. I also would like to see more providers offer back-ups on a geographically different location.

Thanked by 2Ympker First-Root
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with VirMach because...Cheap

2) The latest outage of my services has been on August 25 and lasted 1.5 Hours. HostSolutions.ro did a reasonable job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have daily backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about an hour to restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be CloudJiffy because... their service is revolutionary.
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be MyW because...you'll be paying MikePT more than you expected, because you love those (lifetime) hosting deals.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be Lunanode because you can shelve the VM for only storage (and optionally IP) cost and bring it back online any time you wany.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implent it would be cheap HDD/SSD block storage because I WANT MORE STORAGE!

Thanked by 2Ympker leapswitch
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2019

@edfox said:
    1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with Contabo because their VPS SSD XL server is actually as powerful as a dedicated and they seem very stable.

2) The latest outage of my services has been on sometime in August and lasted almost a day or so. Francisco was basically sleeping.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have weekly backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about less than one hour to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be BuyVM because... they know what they are doing
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be Contabo because it's not actually bad, but you have to be careful with it.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be Hetzner because they have this awesome feature.. awesome price/performance ratio

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implent it would be cheap storage blocks because i need to scale

Glad to see some ppl are still using @contabo_m here :) Could you share an uptime robot of your vps xl @edfox ? Wanna pm me as to why be careful or you'd reckon it's nothing I already know about them? :P They've been always happy to help in my case and get more hate than they deserve imho (not to start a discussion).

• @debaser said:
    1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with OVH because they offer pretty good connectivity and DDoS protection at a low price point.

2) The latest outage of my services has been in June and lasted about an hour. OVH did an okay job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have weekly backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes OVH about 4 hours to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be First Root because my VPS with them has a pretty good performance and @FR_Michael knows what he's talking about.
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be Time4VPS because their servers are slower than a two legged dog on tranquilizers.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be CloudVPS because they are a company I have worked with in the past and did a good job. You can also bring your own IP-space and duplicate your data to 3 different locations.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see more providers implent it would be 2FA for logging in on customer panels because security rules. I also would like to see more providers offer back-ups on a geographically different location.

I still need to try @FR_Michael services some time. He gets praised often here (also by @Falzo I believe?!). Never got around testing their services yet and currently no need. But will keep in mind.

Thanked by 1First-Root
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with ImpactVPS because...excellent promo deals, 10GB connection, fast support, closest DC to me, black Friday credit matching, very high uptimes.

2) The latest outage of my services has been on over a year ago and lasted an evening or so. VMbox may or may not have did anything in resolving the issue (another user abusing CPU) taking down whole node. Edit: I did have some brief downtime on Virmach in the last year, but they had status updates and auto credited my account. Made me like them more based on how it was handled.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have [daily/weekly] backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about an hour to replace the drives/restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be [Provider] because...
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be Host Solutions because of lack of responsive support.

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be Luna Node because they are Canadian and I've only read good feedback about them.

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implement it would be provisioning servers with SSH keys without password login because first login often shows 10000+ login attempts on a 20 minute server provisioned server.

• You could make a nice flowchart out of this for newer members and their expectations given what happens with their chosen providers.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited August 2019

1) I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with no single provider because have not found an anchor so far

2) The latest outage of my services has been about a month ago and lasted not sure, hours?. Letbox did a good job in resolving the issue.

3) If the drives of my servers were to fail or my summer host would deadpool, I would have daily backups in place. From past experiences and community posts I'd assume it takes me about an hour to restore the backups.

4) If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be First-Root because they in for the long game
    Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be none because there are plenty of people doing that and it helps me avoid already

5) If I had to recommend a vps provider with hourly billing for spinning up a quick testing/development environment it would be hetzner because they hourly billing is cheap, xeon gold, fast nvme, good newtork, cheap backups

6) If there was a feature that I would like to see (more) providers implement it would be backups in remote location because one can never have too many backups

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Ympker said:

Glad to see some ppl are still using @contabo_m here :) Could you share an uptime robot of your vps xl @edfox ?

All my servers are always available at https://status.foxo.me
    Frontend is BuyVM, backend is Contabo.

Wanna pm me as to why be careful or you'd reckon it's nothing I already know about them? :P They've been always happy to help in my case and get more hate than they deserve imho (not to start a discussion).

I've had a lot of issues connecting to Telegram servers, which disappeared after some time but came back later on. It is a particular ip (149.154.175.60). The traceroute shows it up to 10.0.50.2 (which i assume is their node) and then goes all * * *.

Additionally, I've had some issues with some https requests as well. My telegram bot (that uses a longpoll to api.telegram.org) as well as some imageboards cdn (like i.4chan.org) sometimes cannot open a connection at all and go timeout.

Still a great host and great server, but you have to know what you're doing because of little quirks here and there.

Thanked by 1Ympker
    1. I am hosting the majority of my hosting related services with Hetzner because there i get 1 gig unmetered for 25€
    2. no outage so far
    3. ansible script on github and no persistent data beside private keys of which i have a encrypted copys of at multiple places.
    4. If I had to mention a provider that has been giving me positive vibes it would be Hetzner because they have very good prices and hardware support
      Likewise, if I had to warn people about a provider it would be Hetnzer because their abuse team sucks and their policies like no porn too.
    5. i don't care
    6. unmetered 1 gig and 10 gig ports with their servers as standard while maintaining a good price.