so ... I set out to install a kanban, and ended up with a sandstorm. And now my todo list is well into the yo dawg dimension.
Needless to say I'll be spending some quality time with the sandstorm.io docs, and whatever other random sources of insight I might find on the web. I have found just a few mentions here on LET, going back a few years - including a recommendation from @vimalware to check out sandstorm and several associated applications ...
Anyhoo ... I surely would appreciate any fresh suggestions from the low-end point of view - specifically as to possible shortcuts to learn the important things, and possibly if any areas maybe better to avoid. And also, which of the available apps stand out for better or for worse? Any surprises or discrepancies from the docs?
The aspects that are most important to me, in general:
My use case at this point is mainly experimental, to see what some of these janky php (etc) apps have to offer by way of inspiration, and if at all possible to glean some immediate usefulness for simple things like kanban, chat, etc. At the moment planning to involve just a couple other users: one is non-technical (with some ideas for an application), the other with a good bit of circa-2000 web development experience. So there's no big enterprise requirement here, but I'd like to be able to present (as much as possible) a simple, painless experience for these two end users and then take it from there, with or without sandstorm.io in the mix.
What I've done so far:
On a fresh 4 GB ram / 4 shared vcore / SSD kvm vps
0) installed Debian 10, setup firewall and nginx
1) setup wildcard DNS and LetsEncrypt for SSL
2) setup outgoing email for authentication purposes (any email at the domain can be sent a token)
3) created an admin account and a normal user account in sandstorm
4) played with wekan and rocketchat, and a few other apps
1) easier authentication for end-users: setting up LDAP (and possibly SAML)
2) review setup and study documentation, especially with regard to potential security issues
3) looking for quality rather than quantity in terms of other apps to explore, but am generally interested in good examples of minimalist UI
4) maybe actually using wekan (or some other kanban) - which is what I originally set out to do a few days ago, lol ...
Also, one more possible issue I may or may not care to get into eventually:
Might I expect potential conflicts if also running Docker for other things (ie, Discourse) on the same server - or would it be best to just leave this VPS entirely for (a lightly used) sandstorm? I had originally been scheming to use this one for Discourse - so, depending on how resource-intensive Discourse and the sandstorm stuff turn out to be, I may shuffle either Discourse or sandstorm onto another VPS (or dedi).
tl;dr: comments and suggestions about any or all of these areas (sandstorm, security, authentication, LDAP, applications, kanban, Discourse) would be much appreciated!
the Amitz.party lives on!