Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Market Research] Budget "Cloud" OpenVZ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Market Research] Budget "Cloud" OpenVZ

2»

Comments

• Who will remember all those brands... :P

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

DomainBop said: There was the openvz Incero Vapor Cloud which never made it out of beta...

That server sure is a beast :)

• Is this custom cloud made by your company?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

OpenVZ bääähhh, offer KVM.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

So many marketing threads...

• i hope there is a west coast location especially for LA :)

and have ipv6 too

• This quite interesting I pretty sure we'll purchase one to play around with.

• An API that allows the end user to scale resources.

• Btw this (scaling resources) is possible even with the standard whmcs+solusvm combination, however the billing would be daily, not hourly.

• i think this is something similar to what cloud3k(rockmyweb) is offering.

• pump,

please love me back, backupsy.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

A few considerations:
    I dont think it will be a cloud without SAN. Fail-over without some kind of constant replication will be impossible.
    I agree KVM resize of the disk is a bitch. We have this issue with people which like to resize, but there are ways, from adding/removing disks to clonezilla and other methods to make your own templates and deploy them on any size disks. It will not be working without a reboot (unless adding/removing disks), of course but you can deploy an isolated network, do another instance, copy the stuff, boot, change port forwarding and the service is almost uninterrupted.
    You could offer OVZ with fail-over, simply run it in gigantic KVM instances and if the node fails, another can pick up. There will be problems with ssd caching and running a san with ssd is very expensive as well as somewhat defeating the purpose since the latency will be there anyway.
    Why disallow own ISO ? Granted, wont work with OVZ, but with KVM it is a feature people love. We used to have tons of people asking for windows, bsd derivatives, obscure distros, keeping those updated was a problem, not to mention some wanted older versions for some own apps, now they simply link own iso and problem solved.
    Floating IPs will be great as people will be able to move their instances very easy, add a migration option to the panel and many will be very happy.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Maounique said: I dont think it will be a cloud without SAN. Fail-over without some kind of constant replication will be impossible

Pfft. :) There's more than one way to skin a cloud. There's plenty of cluster techs that don't need IaaS fail-over and won't treat it any different than an isolated network partition.

If you're aiming to steal some of the DO/EC2 crowd, then SAN failover is highly over-rated.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Personally, I would also give failover for the scalability and low overhead of OVZ. One of the big problems is the provisioning of capacity in a cloud. With OVZ it is much easier to predict and even if you dont guess right there is a bigger margin of error.
    Maybe OVZ will come up with something more stable, suitable for companies more modern and compatible. So far, that is a problem, it will work in the budget area, I am curious how serverian's cloud will float, so far he has been very successful.

• @serverian said:
    This won't work with KVM since it's not possible to scale it without rebooting.

I don't mind rebooting

• @serverian said:
    I don't like to use OVZ myself, either. However, I don't think there is any other way to provide all the listed features with KVM.

At least you could give people options and warning them pros/cons of each

• @serverian I came across this OpenVZ on OpenStack talk which you might be interested in. Almost out-of-the-box :)

• @Zen said:
    Pretty sure Nova has really dodgy OpenVZ support.

Not to mention it's a royal mess. The thing is too big and tangled with components all over the place.