Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS naming?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS naming?

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited February 2012 in General

Howdy,

I'm wondering how you name your servers. (Like, in hostname). I myself just name the servers in order I buy them (vps1, vps3, vps4, vps5, vps2 was nordicvps and disappeared...). However in our home network I name them to planets, my workstation is Mars, my laptop is jupiter, netbook pluto, girlfriends workstation Venus, girlfriends laptop Phobos, router Sun.

So, do you have any schedule or pattern in it? Like, star trek? Or just functional names?

Comments

• I use monsters: werewolf, yeti, vampire, zombie, etc. :)

• adygadyg Member
    edited February 2012

Have a look: here and here

• I try to give them a name that describes what they do. For example, I have:

"images" - generates and serves images for one of my sites
    "shared" - LNMP hosting server for a few people
    "status" - monitoring and syslog server
    "dev" - where I store projects that I'm working on, such as OpenStatus
    "ns2" - take a guess :P

My laptop is "nick-laptop" and my desktop is "nick-desktop". Not very creative, I know. I would never remember what server is doing what if I named them after planets or anything like that.

• Pet Shop Boys albums. There's more than enough, if nothing else..

• @raymii: Nothing named Uranus!?!? :D

On our hosting network, things are named for gemstones.

On our home network, things are named for what they are. For example, "Roku" is the Roku, "Xbox360" is the Xbox 360, "Damian-Laptop" is my laptop, etc.

• I'm using this

• Well this is how we name our servers

"Node Type""Location"Node Number".basshost
    So
    SharedKansasCityThree.basshost =SKC3.basshost

This way it is easy to remember and track.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited February 2012

@Aldryic said: My in-house stuff is all Touhou themed. My ST stuff, all named from plants/characters in Phantasy Star 4. I suppose I could attempt to be refined and claim my other group is based on Egyptian mythology... but yeah, Zone of Enders is what sparked my interest in those names :P

Although now, the list has grown a bit and also includes Rune in internal; Hathor, Selkis, Isis, and Nephtis in external, and 3 Status[1-3] instances.

• I name them after flowers :P

Rose, tulip, and lily are all I have so far.

• I name them after locations, sometimes providers or their expected usage and park it on a domain that I own (to add A records later) e.g.

evorack.lowend.be
    ramhost.la.lowend.be
    dns.uk.lowend.be
    nagios.nl.lowend.be

etc

• I name myn after space ships, I've been through,

Cerberus
    Normandy
    Destiny
    Voyager

and more. But I always call my dedicated servers under a type of food, for Zazoom I used cakes, Pancake, Fishcake, Carrotcake

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • I am somewhat similar to Daniel, I have done spaceships, or just modes of transportation really. Some of these are current, some are retired, but I have had:

Daedalus
    Prometheus
    Enterprise
    Voyager
    Death Star
    Moya
    DeLorean
    Tardis
    Serenity
    Yamoto
    Swordfish

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • I name mine after aircraft for some reason :) Starting with those that I have flown in

• Like @CBebop and @Daniel I name my vps like spaceships. Normally "size" of the ship is related to the size of the vps (little ship == 64/96mb, ecc).

• @liam said:
    Stargate? :P

>

Indeed.

• I use two or three letters from the provider name. If I have several boxes, I just number them

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @Daniel and @CBebop Before my girl and I moved I had named all the PC's in my apartment to Star Trek Voyager characters. Very funny to hear a good friend say: Seven of Nine is down, go up and fix her...

I find it very interesting to hear all the creativity in the naming here. Like the flowers as well.

@Aldryic You use a local hosts file? May I ask why? I have a local DNS server in the house, but the hosts file on all the machines is not used...

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited February 2012

@Raymii said: You use a local hosts file? May I ask why?

Convenience. ssh Inhert [] is quicker than ssh inhert.********.*** [], among other reasons.

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • Debian and Gentoo.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

I am naming them for functionality:
    gate, sambaserver, sambaservernew, sambaserverold (yeah, I know, kinda braindead but changes are ordered overnight and what I put up temporarely remains there permanently because the changes are soon too complex to undo them without further disruptions) l7gate, pfSense, vpn-gate, tor, debtor, freeNAS, debrouter, gate192, gate195, debhost, www, debtest, you get the idea...
    Those are from work, home and rented not in any particular order.
    M

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

My personal servers Alpha, Boron, Chromium, Dubnium, Erbium, Francium, Gallium, Helium, Iodine, Lithium, Xenon. [Most of 'em are empty/not pointed to an existing server]

Shared hosting servers Zeus [DA], Tiger [cPanel], Leopard [nothing atm], Lion [backup].

• Normally I name them like the providers they are with.

If I am boring I use vps, myvps. Otherwise I name them like edis1, edis2, securedspeed1, incept1, incept2, xenvz1 and so on... :P

• Stargate? :P

Indeed.

Stargate was awesome.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

normally hostnames are based on server location,
    london.*
    paris.*
    usa-w.*
    usa-e.*
    and services:
    vps-node*
    backup*

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited February 2012

Battlestar Galactica characters!

(Baltar, Starbuck, Adama, Apollo and so on)

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • @Aldryic In Sovjet Russia, Local Hosts You...
    Don't know if it is russian, but it looks Cyrillic... Joke is also not meant personally, googled for Syndtech and found http://seed.syndtech.net

• I tend to advise clients of small to mid range size use mail host name ...

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited February 2012

@Raymii said: Don't know if it is russian, but it looks Cyrillic... Joke is also not meant personally, googled for Syndtech and found http://seed.syndtech.net

Correct, that is Russian. Потому что Я Русский. Syndtech is a fairly old, rather private company; I currently use the domain for A records to various machines. Seed is the web box.

• My naming is based on characters of Hayate no Gotoku anime. Hinagiku, Nagi, Tama, etc...
    Я тоже русский.

• @ValdikSS said: Я тоже русский.

И я! :)))))))))))