Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Research: What are you looking from a DNS provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Research: What are you looking from a DNS provider?

Can you help me by answering the following questions please?

1. What is the decision maker when choosing a DNS provider? cost? performance?
  2. What features are you will to pay for extra?
  3. What features are you missing from your current provider?

Thank you all

Comments

• Here are some rough thoughts from me:

a) Features that I expect to have out of the box: Anycast with multiple pretty well spread out locations, IPv4 AND IPv6 DNS servers, ability to import/export zone files (and import incrementally i.e. import and ADD records without deleting existing records), decent UI and login security (with 2FA), API support, AXFRs (Master-Slave type of setups), decent pricing (on both zones and queries without really penny pinching)

b) Some extra features that can be paid addons: DDoS protection, Geo DNS for nearest host type of answers, custom NS settings, maybe dedicated IPs, some other "luxuries" that I'm not even aware of since I'm just an LETian.

c) I use multiple providers and what I've found is that amongst the biggies (CloudFlare, Route53, ClouDNS to name a few) all these features exist and are at different price points/plans/whatever. It has saved me a fair bit of time+effort to have managed DNS in many cases and is worth whatever control I lose

There are quirks across all of them but once you know/get used to it, I think they're quite satisfactory.

It would have been great if CF had a PER record token (for dynamic DNS updates). As I know/am aware of, the token is a account specific one which is quite dangerous if it leaks (ClouDNS does this nicely). Similarly, CF doesn't have incremental import (to my knowledge - correct me please if I'm wrong) but ClouDNS does it right.

Pricing varies quite a bit and one has to be careful esp. when it comes to query volumes (if you have small TTLs).

Can't think beyond this right now.

• 1 - Good results at: https://www.dnsperf.com/
    Cheapness.
    2 - Don't need any extra features than Cloudflare is currently offering for free.
    3 - Nothing I'm aware of.

Thanked by 1laoban
  • no cooperation with inteligence agency

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2019

In addition to @nullnothere's great comment: ALIAS/ANAME support, DNSSEC, and a very restricted API specifically for updating Let's Encrypt TXT records without allowing the entire DNS zone to be edited, for security reasons (think something similar to acme-dns)

Thanked by 2imok uptime
  • williewillie Member
    edited August 2019
    1. Better privacy than the usual free providers

2. $7/year max cost for fairly large number of domains (10+) but low query rate. It's ok if extra queries cost more. That's an LET thing though and if you rely on LET customers to keep the business running you will die. But as an LET idling enthusiast there is enough free DNS around that I don't want to pay more than a minimal amount for paid DNS.

3. API should push out changes faster than namesilo's 15 minutes. Letsencrypt authentication apparently takes two updates so it takes the namesilo-letsencrypt script 32 minutes which is a pain.

• leytonleyton Member
    edited August 2019

@nullnothere - Was setting up a new CloudFlare account this week and noted that they've added a beta for scoped API keys.

Demo: https://i.imgur.com/i9xSDZX.png

It's per-zone rather than per-record, but better than the original key which covered the whole account.

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • mrclownmrclown Member
    edited August 2019

Fast, reliable, more advanced features.

P.S. not just typical boring stuff of 25 years old thing. Nobody need will pay for standard service and gonna take as granted.

• anycast with a few locations, ability to set low TTL, DNSSEC support, IPv6 support (including the DNS servers) and a nice UI :wink:

• It might be silly but I won't use a provider that doesn't support the ANY lookup.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

1) Something that supports reverse zones as well. Reasonably priced, prefer paying a fixed fee per zone rather than per queries. No blocking of ANY queries or other similarly braindead nonsense. HTTPS API support is a must.

2) Anycast (well tuned), DDOS protection

3) My current provider doesn't allow me to put A/AAAA/MX/TXT records in reverse zones. Yes, I'm weird and I understand I'm the only customer that would ever request something like this.

• FHR said: My current provider doesn't allow me to put A/AAAA/MX/TXT records in reverse zones

Huh... why not? it's just a regular zone. O_o

• Vanity nameservers. Earlier godaddy premium DNS used to offer it, but they discontinued. So I'm looking out for vanity nameservers DNS server at LET prices.

Thanked by 1JasonSM
  • Compliance with RFCs, reverse zones, up-to-date and complete DNSSEC support, non-bullshit APIs (e.g. ability to rotate KSK)

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • Any updates on this by any chance?

• Accepts Bitcoin

• CrelingCreling Member
    edited September 2019
    1. downtime monitoring and auto switch.
      at least, providing some api for update/add/del records
    2. alias.
  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited September 2019

Anybody here using DNSpod.com (english version of dnspod.cn)