Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bitbucket retires Mercurial SCM support.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bitbucket retires Mercurial SCM support.

vimalwarevimalware Member
edited August 2019 in General

https://bitbucket.org/blog/sunsetting-mercurial-support-in-bitbucket

TLDR:

After much consideration, we've decided to remove Mercurial support from Bitbucket Cloud and the API. 
Mercurial features and repositories will be officially removed from Bitbucket and its API on June 1, 2020.
What used to be a very fragmented version control software market has rapidly matured.
 Mercurial usage on Bitbucket is steadily declining, and the percentage of new Bitbucket users choosing Mercurial has fallen to less than 1%. 
At the same time, Git has become the standard. 
According to a Stack Overflow Developer Survey, almost 90% of developers use Git, 
while Mercurial is the least popular version control system with only about 3% developer adoption.

Mercurial was my first VCS.
and Bitbucket was premium with free private hg repos back in 2009.

I learnt hg first, because I didn't like what I saw in git.

Why is everything a popularity contest ...

Comments

• lnxlnx Member, Patron Provider

Having used both, I much prefer git. If they are seeing declining usage then it probably just makes sense to put those resources to better use rather than support it further.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

vimalware said: According to a Stack Overflow Developer Survey, almost 90% of developers use Git,

Sure.

And about 90% of those also use CVS, Subversion, Visual Source Safe, and a half-dozen other SCMs to support legacy crapbuckets their employers still use.

git is very popular, no doubt. But legacy is always the most common.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2019

@lnx said:
    Having used both, I much prefer git. If they are seeing declining usage then it probably just makes sense to put those resources to better use rather than support it further.

Makes sense from a business perspective, sure. But they could've kept a read-only archive going (which requires ~no support), and instead they've chosen to just delete it all, repositories and everything.

That shows very poor form to me, and is certainly a reason not to trust them in the future, IMO.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • tbh I wish Mercurial won the DVCS wars rather than Git. It's much easier to hack on it (given it's written in Python rather than C) and in my experience the CLI is friendlier.