Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Cloud Platform will charge for External IP on their VMs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Cloud Platform will charge for External IP on their VMs

I just received an e-mail from GCP saying that:

First, we’re increasing the price for Google Compute Engine (GCE) VMs that use external IP addresses. Beginning January 1, 2020, a standard GCE instance using an external IP address will cost an additional $0.004/hr and a preemptible GCE instance using an external IP address will cost an additional $0.002/hr.

Second, we’re reducing the price for Cloud NAT. Beginning January 1, 2020, Cloud NAT gateway will cost $0.0014/hr per GCE instance up to a maximum of $0.044/hr and Cloud NAT data processing charges will be fixed at $0.045/GB for all regions.

They will discount any external IP usage for the first 3 months (until April 1, 2020)

I'm using their free f1-micro VM, but it's time to avoid GCP now.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

$2.94/month per IP.

Woo.

Francisco

Thanked by 1receivedthanks
  • ouch not good

• OujiOuji Member

So free tier is now dead as it seems? I didn't receive such e-mail

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ipv4 only or are they charging for ipv6 too?

• jack1142jack1142 Member
    edited August 2019

I got that email 1 hour ago :/
    Looks like I'm gonna need to look for some cheaper alternatives cause paying 3$ for an IP doesn't really seem like a good deal.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2019

Had a long chat last night with a friend who tried hard to convince me of gcp's many pros. There might be many, but now this....

• The biggest pro was that it was "Always-Free", the f1-micro didn't even cost you a cent and the performance was acceptable for basic uses. But now, with the prices for IP however...

• Thanked by 1receivedthanks
  • We will fully discount any external IP usage for the first 3 months to help you quantify the impact of these pricing changes. Please take note of the following dates:

January 1, 2020: Although your invoice will show your calculated external IP-related charges, these will be fully discounted and you will not need to pay these.
    April 1, 2020: You will need to pay for any incurred external IP-related charges shown on your invoice.

April Fools.

• xaocxaoc Member

Aww dreams shattered.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jack1142 said:
    I got that email 1 hour ago :/
    Looks like I'm gonna need to look for some cheaper alternatives cause paying 3$ for an IP doesn't really seem like a good deal.

Brace for it. RIPE.is going to be out this year, you’ll see what IP prices will look like ;-)

• @raindog308 said:
    ipv4 only or are they charging for ipv6 too?

I read GCP only supports IPv6 in the load balancer, not on VMs. Which I think is a joke. IPv6 support in the cloud isn't what it should be. For example Amazon only allows a couple of IPv6 addresses per VM, and not a routed prefix.

Thanked by 3Ouji rm_ receivedthanks
  • about $3 per month? emmmmm the ip prices increased alot

• OujiOuji Member

They actually changed the page of the Free Tier and added this:

Your Always Free f1-micro instance limit is by time, not by instance. Each month, eligible use of all of your f1-micro instances and associated external IP addresses are free until you have used a number of hours equal to the total hours in the current month. Usage calculations are combined across the supported regions.

• @Ouji said:
    They actually changed the page of the Free Tier and added this:

Your Always Free f1-micro instance limit is by time, not by instance. Each month, eligible use of all of your f1-micro instances and associated external IP addresses are free until you have used a number of hours equal to the total hours in the current month. Usage calculations are combined across the supported regions.

So the free f1-micro is still free?

• OujiOuji Member

sanvit said: So the free f1-micro is still free?

It seems like. This sentence wasn't on the page before (at least is what a Way Back Machine from Aug 9th shows), I guess they added to specify that the free tier would still be "possible"

• This is the best news I heard today. I'm so happy this is a false alarm :smiley:

• OujiOuji Member

Well, tbh, I'd wait to be totally sure. Make backups of your instances, just in case.

• Just to be more sure, I also asked on GCP Billing Support.

• OujiOuji Member

That's awesome. Thank for that.

• Just started using gce...thanks for this info.

• My English isn't very good, and I wasn't sure what it meant. Thanks for the clarification.

• Ive got some Google Cloud Coupons. $100k each. If anyone need, we can talk.

• I've just got this

My English is not good enough to understand what Google has wrote

Should I worries for the Apr?

• @hlv_trinh said:
    I've just got this

My English is not good enough to understand what Google has wrote

Should I worries for the Apr?

I think no. If you are using free f1-micro.

• IP cost will wipe out all lowend forum someday.

• @elliotc said:
    IP cost will wipe out all lowend forum someday.

yup, but will lead into more smarter use of IP's more a push for using more ports in a single ip.