Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How i determine is it good vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How i determine is it good vps?

raihan0888raihan0888 Member
edited February 2012 in Tutorials

recently i buy a vps.and getting too slow speed in webpage loading.can you please comment about this info.is it good,if not good what was the lacking?in future what i need to see before purchase. :(

cat /proc/cpuinfo

[root@host ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 8
model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4174 HE
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2183.377
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 6
core id : 0
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc nonstop_tsc pni cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy altmovcr8 abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw
bogomips : 4600.36
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate [8]

using dd command

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 14.8596 seconds, 72.3 MB/s

using this script: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/758/leb-script-3/p1

[root@host ~]# sh bench.sh

CPU model : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4174 HE
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency : 2183.377 MHz
Total amount of ram : 256 MB
Total amount of swap : 0 MB
System uptime : 48 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 29.2MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 3.17MB/s

mention that unable execute full script.dont no why.

Comments

• Are you happy with it?

Is it fast for your needs?

How's the uptime?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

It is excellent for a webserver.

Thanked by 1raihan0888
  • What are you trying to run on it exactly, and what are your resource allocs that you're working with?

• raihan0888raihan0888 Member
    edited February 2012

What are you trying to run on it exactly, and what are your resource allocs that you're working with?

when i write this thread that time speed is too slow...mayb some one doing hard stuff... but now its ok and fast.

wordpress+kloxo+lightpdd+auto website content leeching from forum+rss+blog then repost in wp.

• raihan0888raihan0888 Member
    edited February 2012

@Damian said: Are you happy with it?

Is it fast for your needs?

How's the uptime?

just 1 week running...not confirm about uptime.
    happy at that price only 2.36 usd with 128mb ram.
    i am not confirm is it fast server?cause i confused how you guys judge this mattter. :)

• Looks good. Try dd when it gets slow, slow i/o is usually the reason for slowness.

• @raihan0888 said: i am not confirm is it fast server?cause i confused how you guys judge this mattter. :)

Does it seem slow? If not, don't worry about benchmarks.

• @Kairus said: Does it seem slow? If not, don't worry about benchmarks.

no its not slow.just asking you is it good?
    when you its bad?

• @raihan0888 i think uptime is a universal measure of performance-Need to keep it up ...

• @raihan0888 said: happy at that price only 2.36 usd with 128mb ram.

i am not confirm is it fast server?cause i confused how you guys judge this mattter. :)

The only confirmed benchmark is the disk speed of 72 mb/s which is good enough IO for a webserver.

A CPU and overall test can give you an idea of the CPU speed and system speed.

http://byte-unixbench.googlecode.com/files/unixbench-5.1.2.tar.gz
    or

Geekbench
    http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

You mentioned sometimes it is slow, you should try testing at different times of the day to see what speeds you get.

Once you get your numbers, do a search here at LEB, there are alot of benchmark threads where you can compare your numbers.

For $2.36/month, you can't expect blazing speeds but it looks like a good deal to me.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • From the benchmarks you posted it looks good. Another reason why it might seems slow is network. You can use mtr (or winmtr) on windows to check if there is some packet loss. Any loss above 10% would make ssh sluggish and make it seem as the server is slow.