Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocatio in West Midlands,UK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocatio in West Midlands,UK

hey guys, I am looking for a colocation in west midlands or surrounding. Can anyone recommend me a company? I spoke with a company today they charge a lot for 2.5A server. They were after £125 + VAT. My budget is £50-£60 inc VAT.

Thanks

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

125 for 2.5A is reasonable

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Yes but not for me. I got an offer from Germany they charge 40 euro 10A. I want to host in the UK.

• edited August 2019

UK Servers have a datacentre based in Coventry in the West Midlands but power costs might be outside your budget - https://www.ukservers.com/colocation/server-colocation/

• @Maximus said:
    Yes but not for me. I got an offer from Germany they charge 40 euro 10A. I want to host in the UK.

That's maybe power DELIVERY but not actual power USAGE. tl;dr the wires can handle 10A but there's no way that that's the price for 2300W continuous power usage (=1600KWh on a monthly basis, or 330 euros worth of electricity at 20c per kwh)

• hzrhzr Member

Maximus said: Yes but not for me. I got an offer from Germany they charge 40 euro 10A. I want to host in the UK.

You are kind of comparing apples and oranges here, especially wrt colo. And power prices per country. For example, if you want cheap french nuclear, you have to put it in france.

Who the hell is selling 10A for 40,- ? That's insane

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

The 10 amps as @teamacc said is most likely just the port and he would have to pay the usage on that. :)

2.5 amps of power isn't cheap in the UK or most places out there. That is quite a bit of power usage. Do you really need that much power? What type of server are you running?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • MaximusMaximus Member
    edited August 2019

@PureVoltage said:
    The 10 amps as @teamacc said is most likely just the port and he would have to pay the usage on that. :)

2.5 amps of power isn't cheap in the UK or most places out there. That is quite a bit of power usage. Do you really need that much power? What type of server are you running?

The server I am consumes has 2.5 amp. It has 30 cores @ 2.4GHZ and 128gb ram.

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

Wolverhampton? VeloxServ can definitely look after you - https://www.veloxserv.co.uk/

Thanked by 2Bopie veloxserv
  • Any reason for it to be in the West Midlands? It's not going to benefit you latency wise.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

2.5A of 240v UK power?
    You are saying it needs 600 watts?

@Zare said:
    Wolverhampton? VeloxServ can definitely look after you - https://www.veloxserv.co.uk/

Recommended. We use them for 5+ years, and quite happy with their service.

Thanked by 1veloxserv
  • BopieBopie Member
    edited August 2019

@Zare said:

Iv been to see them today and they praise Zare ;) A little birdy tells me that Hydra's past includes them :P

Thanked by 1veloxserv
  • Also @Maximus there won't be any UK company that well offer you 2.5A at that price and if they do then you won't actually get that, I my self am in the midlands and have toured a few DC's including Veloxserv today and that is massive power usage,

UK servers are cheap but cheap doesn't mean good

• I am looking for used high performance blades on ebay but couldn't seem to find any low power consumption. Can you guys help me with that? If I can get high performance server which consume low power then I have no issue to use veloxserv. This is my first time to coloc server and I am already learning a lot. Thanks!

• If you are looking for high-performance blades then do you intend to buy the chassis aswell? How will you run them?

• TerensMTerensM Member
    edited August 2019

You will hardly find servers with 1 CPU that consume more than 1A, I'm running some Dual Xeon E5-2660 with an actual consumption of about 200w (~1A)

If you need multiple nodes in a small colocation, You can take a look at some SM microcloud or Gooxi microcloud which is 3 blade in 1U

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

ukservers.com

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Zare said: Wolverhampton? VeloxServ can definitely look after you

Never used them but they were the only place I could think that was West Midlands.

• UkServers is a great option as others have suggested

• I have been told "Dell PowerEdge R620 2x Xeon Six-Core 2.50Ghz E5-2640 128GB RAM 1U Rack" server will take 2.5A. And HP DL380p Gen8 server with dual E5-2690 with 128gb ram will also take same amount of power. I am not sure if it's really true based on the above comments. Can you please advise?

@Maximus said:
    I have been told "Dell PowerEdge R620 2x Xeon Six-Core 2.50Ghz E5-2640 128GB RAM 1U Rack" server will take 2.5A. And HP DL380p Gen8 server with dual E5-2690 with 128gb ram will also take same amount of power. I am not sure if it's really true based on the above comments. Can you please advise?

2.5A...but that is 110V, not UK 240V !!!....for 240V you probably closer to 1.0-1.25A only.
    Depends on load though, we see anywhere from 200watts to 400watts on Dual E5-2670's with 128GB and full loads of drives.

Thanked by 1Maximus
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

That's what I was thinking, it would have to be pretty beastly to take that many amps 240V.
    Best option if you have the equipment is to test the power usage yourself so you know for sure the usage.
    We have some 1U systems that pull a boat load of power however they are for AI with 4x GPU's however all future builds have been in 4U with more cards and larger fans which cool better.

I think 2.5A is a bit overkill maybe 2 max with spinners.

• @PureVoltage said:
    That's what I was thinking, it would have to be pretty beastly to take that many amps 240V.
    Best option if you have the equipment is to test the power usage yourself so you know for sure the usage.
    We have some 1U systems that pull a boat load of power however they are for AI with 4x GPU's however all future builds have been in 4U with more cards and larger fans which cool better.

I think 2.5A is a bit overkill maybe 2 max with spinners.

Thank you. I think it's a good idea to test power at home first.