Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request for CPU power
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request for CPU power

Hello LET,

I want to run a CPU intensive program that can be distributed on several cores. On my desktop linux computer it will take years to complete. What I'm looking for is CPU power for a cheap price. It would be acceptable if the CPU power is only accessible at night or at weekends, if its cheaper... I dont want to mine crypto coins or find seti aliens (exluded in some TOS). I rented some low end VPS from www.wishosting.com, but they throttled the rented cores to 12.5% after some time. www.gullo.me canceled my VPS after a month without any comment. Maybe because of the CPU load, but they dont give a warning message like in the TOS mentioned. Can someone give me an advice?

VZ Type: ANY!

Number of Cores: 1-99
RAM: 128 MB
Disk Space: 2+GB
Disk Type: any

Bandwidth: any
Port Speed: any

DDoS Protection: No

Number of IPs: 1 shared IPV4 or 1 IPV6

Budget: low

Billing period: any

Comments

• You want dedicated cores, if I read it correctly, is this correct?

If so then you are better off with a dedicated server, then a VPS.

• AvoroAvoro Member, Host Rep

Hello,

if you need dedicated cores in germany: https://avoro.eu/cart.php?gid=3 :)

Regards
    Theo

• Dedicated cores are much more expensive than VPS. The virtual CPUs can divided through the current load and if no other requests the CPU... all for me. :)

In germany are the energy costs very high. I think it would be best to place it in china or india.

• @peterfarge said:
    Dedicated cores are much more expensive than VPS. The virtual CPUs can divided through the current load and if no other requests the CPU... all for me. :)

In germany are the energy costs very high. I think it would be best to place it in china or india.

Not going to happen in China cheap. Try Hetzner and see what they can offer you in Germany. You will be hard pressed to find something in a VPS that can beat a Dedicated, for almost the same price.

• hzrhzr Member

what exactly are you doing?

• @peterfarge Our AZ dedicated threads node sounds like it would be perfect for your use.
    We will NEVER intervene your usage as the threads are 100% yours to do with as you please.

1 Dedicated Thread @ 2.8GHz
    3GB Dedicated RAM
    30GB SSD
    60GB HDD
    1 IPv4
    1TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    Only £5 per month.
    https://clientsarea.hostdoc.co.uk/cart.php?a=add&pid=853

You can stack as many threads as needed.
    There is no movement on these plans, they are pre-configured and fixed whether the disk, ram or bandwidth is excessive for your use case.

• @HostDoc said:
    @peterfarge Our AZ dedicated threads node sounds like it would be perfect for your use.
    We will NEVER intervene your usage as the threads are 100% yours to do with as you please.

3GB Dedicated RAM
    30GB SSD
    60GB HDD
    1 IPv4
    1TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    Only £5 per month.

There is no movement on these plans, they are pre-configured and fixed whether the disk, ram or bandwidth is excessive for your use case.

When will you make a 1-2TB offer I can not refuse? No need for any ssd.

• @AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:
    @peterfarge Our AZ dedicated threads node sounds like it would be perfect for your use.

3GB Dedicated RAM
    30GB SSD
    60GB HDD
    1 IPv4
    1TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    Only £5 per month.

1-2TB of what? Storage?

• @HostDoc said:

@AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

3GB Dedicated RAM
    30GB SSD
    60GB HDD
    1 IPv4
    1TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    Only £5 per month.

1-2TB of what? Storage?

Yeah, couple cores, 4-6 gb ram, couple TB of bandwidth maybe. That type of offers.

• You need a dedi. What is the application? You don't have to tell us, but holding back about it suggests mining or password cracking or something similar, which are not conducive to helpful responses. If you're doing something interesting, I have a few mostly-idle dedis that I could contribute some cycles from, but I'd have to know what it is.

• @AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

@AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

3GB Dedicated RAM
    30GB SSD
    60GB HDD
    1 IPv4
    1TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    Only £5 per month.

1-2TB of what? Storage?

Yeah, couple cores, 4-6 gb ram, couple TB of bandwidth maybe. That type of offers.

We do have "reasonable" storage plans with a decent amount of RAM and once again, plans are mainly fixed.
    They come in 1TB chunks with 1GB RAM and are stackable.

1 vCore @ 3.2Ghz
    1GB RAM
    3TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    1TB HDD
    1 IPv4

Depending on your usa case, you could stack 2 for your 2TB storage and then scale the additional 2-4GB RAM (£1.49/GB).
    These are only $5 (£3.95) per month. New stock has been added as they seemed to be out of stock.
    Test IP

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @HostDoc said:

@AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

@AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

3GB Dedicated RAM
    30GB SSD
    60GB HDD
    1 IPv4
    1TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    Only £5 per month.

1-2TB of what? Storage?

We do have "reasonable" storage plans with a decent amount of RAM and once again, plans are mainly fixed.

1 vCore @ 3.2Ghz
    1GB RAM
    3TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    1TB HDD
    1 IPv4

Depending on your usa case, you could stack 2 for your 2TB storage and then scale the additional 2-4GB RAM (£1.49/GB).
    These are only $5 (£3.95) per month. New stock has been added as they seemed to be out of stock.
    Test IP

Thank you I will take a look over the weekend. I tend not to make any purchases after I have about 6 beers. I end up like @Nekki with 500 services I do not remember buying for some reason.

• @AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

@AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

@AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

3GB Dedicated RAM
    30GB SSD
    60GB HDD
    1 IPv4
    1TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    Only £5 per month.

1-2TB of what? Storage?

1 vCore @ 3.2Ghz
    1GB RAM
    3TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    1TB HDD
    1 IPv4

Test IP

Thank you I will take a look over the weekend. I tend not to make any purchases after I have about 6 beers. I end up like @Nekki with 500 services I do not remember buying for some reason.

:flushed:
    And that is an additional reason why I do not touch alcohol amongst others :wink:
    Sure, take your time.

• @HostDoc said:

@AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

@AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

@AuroraZ said:

@HostDoc said:

3GB Dedicated RAM
    30GB SSD
    60GB HDD
    1 IPv4
    1TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    Only £5 per month.

1-2TB of what? Storage?

1 vCore @ 3.2Ghz
    1GB RAM
    3TB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
    1TB HDD
    1 IPv4

Test IP

:flushed:
    And that is an additional reason why I do not touch alcohol amongst others :wink:
    Sure, take your time.

I have to, to be able to be around others lol.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

AuroraZ said: I end up like @Nekki with 500 services I do not remember buying for some reason.

It's a real problem. I thought I was doing well until I realised what I'd stopped spending on VPS I'd starting spending on dedis instead. I current have 1x Clouvider, 2x Kimsufi, 2x Hetzner, 1x SYS, only one of which I actually use.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ uptime
  • @Nekki said:

AuroraZ said: I end up like @Nekki with 500 services I do not remember buying for some reason.

It's a real problem. I thought I was doing well until I realised what I'd stopped spending on VPS I'd starting spending on dedis instead. I current have 1x Clouvider, 2x Kimsufi, 2x Hetzner, 1x SYS, only one of which I actually use.

I know it is, because I have run into the same problem.I have so many with so many companies it is insane. I spend more on Dedis a month then I do food or my mortgage. I own quite a few as well, I do not count those in the renting part, if I did FFS I would make some people cry.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

@peterfarge you can have a "not-so-powerful" dedi from WSI (8 Cores / 16 threads) for about $40/m.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@peterfarge said:
    I rented some low end VPS from www.wishosting.com, but they throttled the rented cores to 12.5% after some time.

Please feel free to switch to any KVM package if you don't want your VM to be throttled for high CPU usage. I can do 8x3GHz cores VM for $20/mo.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • peterfarge said: I rented some low end VPS from www.wishosting.com, but they throttled the rented cores to 12.5% after some time.

Erm, I assume you got throttled on OVZ Mini. Don't you think that a $3/year VM isn't suitable for your "program"? Try out monthly based plans from wishsoting.com as they usually don't have such limitations.
    btw. I love how you generalized all wishosting plans without mentioning that you are running heavy CPU intensive program on the most cheap-ass VM the world knows.

• @peterfarge said:
    Hello LET,

I want to run a CPU intensive program that can be distributed on several cores.

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • @default said:

@peterfarge said:
    Hello LET,

I want to run a CPU intensive program that can be distributed on several cores.

You know I have thought about this, in between drinks of beer that is, and it sounds like coin mining shit again.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@AuroraZ said:

@Nekki said:

I know it is, because I have run into the same problem.I have so many with so many companies it is insane. I spend more on Dedis a month then I do food or my mortgage. I own quite a few as well, I do not count those in the renting part, if I did FFS I would make some people cry.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @peterfarge said:

What I'm looking for is CPU power for a cheap price. It would be acceptable if the CPU power is only accessible at night or at weekends, if its cheaper... I dont want to mine crypto coins or find seti aliens (exluded in some TOS).

They're excluded due to cpu load and you are competing on price against miners whether you realize it or not. What you want will not be cheap because someone else would pay more if it was.

• popspops Member

@peterfarge said:
    Dedicated cores are much more expensive than VPS. The virtual CPUs can divided through the current load and if no other requests the CPU... all for me. :)

You are wrong, China's network will not be very cheap, but CPU memory will be very cheap, these can be used in computing.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

AWS Spot instances

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I'm new to renting VPS/Dedicated servers in the internet.
    I have to rethink my approach.
    Thanks for the information.

• @peterfarge said:
    I'm new to renting VPS/Dedicated servers in the internet.
    I have to rethink my approach.
    Thanks for the information.

We are not trying to be deliberately rude as well, most of us here have seen this request before and are trying to figure out how best to advise you.

When you give little information as to what are doing, we have a hard time trying to find you what you need, specs and costs wise.

If we advise you to a host, and then a month later they disappear, We tend to take those things seriously, and you should as well.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • I'm know how the internet works, jokes are ok for me :)

I have created a little shell script which calculations. I cant tell what it does. I dont want to mine coins, but in the end its right: I compete in this point with the coin miners. I thought I could rent a bunch of cores for 2-3 Euros/year. This would be much cheaper than run my desktop/laptops day/night because of the electricity bill.

• @peterfarge

Erm, how exactly are you competing with coin miners?

• @peterfarge said:
    I'm know how the internet works, jokes are ok for me :)

I have created a little shell script which calculations. I cant tell what it does.

Thanked by 2default uptime