Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 how many have it at home ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 how many have it at home ?

MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
edited February 2012 in General

I recently received my IPv6 /64 from one of my providers. Seems that not many ISPs in my country (Romania) support it for SOHO market.
How is this going in your country/ISP ?
M

Thanked by 1Jacob

Comments

• Wasn't there some mandatory internet filtering in the UK? If so maybe this is the reason why you don't get ipv6 - the providers would need to buy ipv6-capable filtering equipment, which could be a very expensive investment.

• @Maounique said: How is this going in your country/ISP ?

Some UK providers are offering it, mostly more niche providers than the bigger mainstream though.

@liam said: thus my google turns dutch.

Doh! That's why my Google keeps trying to make me go dutch! I hadn't linked those things together, thanks.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

"Some UK providers are offering it, mostly more niche providers than the bigger mainstream though."
    Hum, here is the other way around, the biggest of them all with presence in the countries around is offering it on a demand/test basis so far. 6th of June is closing in tho, I hope more will join in.
    M

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You could see if your ISP supports toredo?

Francisco

• My ISP(s) doesn't provide native IPv6 address but I use miredo tunnel.

Hum, I do get higher ping on ipv6 (native, not tunnel) and the speed is also 4-5 times lower.
    I suppose they were not expecting so many ppl to take up the glove and try. Reading impressions from places where was introduced earlier, it looks like IPv6 was faster than IPv4 in the first days. Probably there is some limited initial capacity.
    M

• Not natively, though I did find something interesting is with our new router; A Netgear WNDR3400v2; it has the ability to do 6to4 tunneling in the router and serve up v6 addresses to LAN machines. All in the stock firmware.

• RophRoph Member
    edited February 2012

I use IPv6 over Virgin Media (Large UK ISP) just fine. When I look at my torrent swarms, I see a lot of IPv6 connections. Apparently I can't load IPv6-only sites though. Maybe something up with my browser settings.

!(http://i.imgur.com/3SaoD.png)

http://test-ipv6.com/

• I am from Canada and I see no sign of getting IPv6 support from our ISPs anytime soon (for home connections, that is)

We seem to get all of the new "features" late. We recently just began getting more and more third-party internet service providers that offer Unlimited bandwidth.

• @Francisco said: You could see if your ISP supports toredo?

Teredo?

And no, in Mexico that's a dream, it seems we will never have ipv6, all the ISPs will start to NAT like idiots u_u

• Russia. I know that 1 provider in Moscow have native ipv6. Some providers provide(lol) 6rd tunnels.

edited February 2012

@Roph your DNS does not have IPv6 and this is why you cant load IPv6 sites.
    Your ISP does not offer native IPv6 but you should be able to use it if you put some IPv6 enabled DNS. Google ones seem to work (tested here) as well as opendns.
    M
    P.S. I asked same provider (RCS-RDS) to give me IPv6 at work also and said they only offer for residential customers... This after I explained the corporate account manager (!) what IPv6 is and he called some ppl around to ask what the hell I want from him...
    I am afraid 6th of June is too close for IPv6 to have a real launch...

• I have teredo with Comcast.

• No IPv6 with my ISP. I've done the tunnel thing just to play with it, but I just don't see general use until I can have a native connection.

• My ISP has no support for IPv6. Their rolling out Fibre-optic and they support it on that, but we're not due it till at least 2020.

Also Freenet6 is the only tunnel that works for me, but compiling the UNIX client is sometimes a pain in the neck.

• tunnelbroker.net on my desktop.

• @yomero actually if you upgrade to fiber on telmex (hellmex for most of us) you get 1 ipv4 and 1 ipv6, and by the way their routes are damn broken.

Currently I'm using a he.net tunnel.

• I think my house on lake erie has it. I should test it soon ...

• Update to last post ... and yes I have an IPv6 IP also at lake erie.

• @liam said: Doesn't that fat bloke have a monopoly on internet in Mexico?

Yes, but new companies are starting to offer fiber at >10mbps with very cool pricing.

@thekreek said: actually if you upgrade to fiber on telmex (hellmex for most of us) you get 1 ipv4 and 1 ipv6, and by the way their routes are damn broken.

OMFG you are from MX too!? :D Well, I didn't knew that, but the fiber stuff is very new.

Oh, Hellmex and telshit ftw!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Bitcable said: tunnelbroker.net on my desktop.

Thanks for the link. Just added it to my router. :)