Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Email Provider you using for Personal Use? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Email Provider you using for Personal Use?

Comments

• Mxroute & gsuite (free 1 domain)

• Self hosted on a Hetzner dedicated, using exim, rspamd and dovecot.

• Rackspace

Thanked by 1lnx
  • @quicksilver03 said:
    Self hosted on a Hetzner dedicated, using exim, rspamd and dovecot.

any tutorial you can provide so to benefit for others and i also make a note ?

• @amsaal said:

@quicksilver03 said:

I can't remember if I followed a specific tutorial, however there was a lot of trial and error before I got to be confident enough in my setup to cancel my previous subscriptions with Fastmail.

The key for me was having setting up a second VPS with the same setup but on a different domain, to which no one but me was sending email, and to try a lot of different configuration until I found the correct one. I still keep this VPS as a staging environment to test configuration changes and new versions of the email software I use.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @quicksilver03 said:

@amsaal said:

@quicksilver03 said:

I can't remember if I followed a specific tutorial, however there was a lot of trial and error before I got to be confident enough in my setup to cancel my previous subscriptions with Fastmail.

The key for me was having setting up a second VPS with the same setup but on a different domain, to which no one but me was sending email, and to try a lot of different configuration until I found the correct one. I still keep this VPS as a staging environment to test configuration changes and new versions of the email software I use.

That is great to know things are working for you and that the setup you found is working perfect. May be if you have some time. make a blog or some guides for us those who are using a open source mail hosted like mailcow so we can know in-dept of what happens behind the system. And it is also good what i am using Mailcow as its a open source but the setup is breeze to install by anyone who is novice in linux.

• Protonmail looks and feels good. I'm not using email much. Just basic things. So I can't say if it's good for heavy users or not.

• @amsaal said:

@HyperK9 said:

@amsaal said:

@HyperK9 said:
    I previously to used Yandex.Mail but now I just use self hosted with Amazon SES SMTP as backup

do you pay for it? price is how much?

Yandex.Mail is free with unlimited use but I just felt like moving to my own. With Amazon SES I am on the free tier so there is no charge for now.

yes i know you just add a credit card it gives you 1 year for free to access all the products that comes under free tier but after that what happens? i think you have to switch since the cost will be more .

Well after the free tier, $0.1 for every 1,000 emails you send which is pretty good.

• @HyperK9 said:

@amsaal said:

@HyperK9 said:

@amsaal said:

@HyperK9 said:
    I previously to used Yandex.Mail but now I just use self hosted with Amazon SES SMTP as backup

Yandex.Mail is free with unlimited use but I just felt like moving to my own. With Amazon SES I am on the free tier so there is no charge for now.

yes i know you just add a credit card it gives you 1 year for free to access all the products that comes under free tier but after that what happens? i think you have to switch since the cost will be more .

Well after the free tier, $0.1 for every 1,000 emails you send which is pretty good.

thats great :) . Thanks for the update. i might use it for some other purpose sending for autoreply .

• I have heard that SES deliverability is not the greatest; I don't have personal experience with it, though. GSuite for me, maybe gradually moving to MXRoute.

• @alento said:

bikegremlin said: P.S. anyone used Yandex?

Other than that, it seems great other than you are obliged to use their DNS for the domain that they host email on - which I am not overly fond of.

Wrong, I have hosted tons of domains there and they do not force their own DNS. You can add some CName records to verify the domain and you are good to go.

• Using Gsuite, it's been working good for years. Looked at switching to mxroute, but after playing with it for a few days, i had many emails (from forms) marked as spam and not sent through them. Failure rate that early turned me off of them. No ticket system in place made it difficult to get help with the issue.

I'm still keeping my mxroute account but won't be switching my personal stuff over. Possibly a little too restrictive on their spam control and no way to edit or bypass those restrictions. In order to provide a good product at such a great price, i understand why Jarland needs to have these restrictions in place.

I know many others use mxroute and are very happy, it seems my problem may be an isolated case. For my needs, at this point, i will stick with Gsuite.

• @seanho said:
    I have heard that SES deliverability is not the greatest; I don't have personal experience with it, though. GSuite for me, maybe gradually moving to MXRoute.

SES is working great for me. Did some tests and it worked perfectly fine with GMail, Outlook, Yahoo, MXroute, and some corporate mails. I did have problems sending emails via MailChannels though :(

Thanked by 1seanho
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

@HyperK9 said:

@amsaal said:

@HyperK9 said:

@amsaal said:

@HyperK9 said:

AWS SES cost is based on 3 factors: the number of emails you send, their size, and the size of attachments. Emails are charged at $0.10 per 1,000. Emails' size is accounted for as data transfer out from EC2 to the Internet. Attachments are billed at $0.12 per GB.

The free usage tier (62,000 messages per month) applies only when you call SES from an application hosted in EC2.

• rm_ said: The best provider out there, I use that one too!

Me too :)

postfix+dovecot+spamassassin runs nicely on my BuyVM 128MB OVZ for maybe 7 or 8 years now.

Thanked by 2rm_ DarkCarnage
  • Outlook and gmail. Nothing else

• GSuite legacy for personal domains ... yandex mail for few website domains.

• mxroute, cloudcone's hosted email

Thanked by 1Cloudcone
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Using Google Apps for personal mail and agenda

• After many years using roll my own postfix/dovecot/mailgun finally switched to an mxroute BF special package. No problems so far, well apart from a spamassassin rule flagging ALL .co.uk senders, which I can't see how to override.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@cochon said:
    After many years using roll my own postfix/dovecot/mailgun finally switched to an mxroute BF special package. No problems so far, well apart from a spamassassin rule flagging ALL .co.uk senders, which I can't see how to override.

DM me some headers if you'd like. It's not my intent to be scoring high based on that.

• MPGMPG Member

mxroute for server personal email tutanota.com has been good.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • gsuite is having offers now 3 usd but i forgot which site is offering it anyways my hosted mailcow is running fine.

• @MPG said:
    mxroute for server personal email tutanota.com has been good.

it hard to recover if you lost keys ... right?

• MPGMPG Member

You loose master pad and game over. But most are like that.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • mxroute, and Gmail..

• jamjam Member

Mailcheap at the moment, but the spam filter is a pain for me.

looking for try Mailcow, but i do not know a vps providers that is ok with mail services.
    i want to try Servercow but i do not understand German xD

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited August 2019

@jam said:
    Mailcheap at the moment, but the spam filter is a pain for me.

looking for try Mailcow, but i do not know a vps providers that is ok with mail services.
    i want to try Servercow but i do not understand German xD

Most providers should be OK (I've asked @VirMach and @Bopie) with mailservers as long as outbound emaila go through a relay and not directly through their IPs. I use Mailcow with one of the VirMach specials and put Amazon SES as a sending relay, and it works great :)

Thanked by 2jam vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2019

sanvit said: as long as outbound emaila go through a relay and not directly through their IPs

If it's for personal use as the thread title says, they should be OK with occasional 1-2 outgoing mails to a single recipient, too. We aren't talking about mass mailing after all. And for personal use it is a massive overkill to sign up for a dedicated SMTP sending service.

Just check your IP for block lists e.g. on https://bgp.he.net/ (search for the IP, then switch to "RBL" tab).

Thanked by 2Ouji jam
  • HostUpHostUp Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

Gmail/gsuite. Although I had some problems with it. For one it blocks ipv6 connections.

This discussion has been closed.