Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudFlare Registrar
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudFlare Registrar

Today is the first time i've seen CloudFlare registry service. I have most of my domains spread out between Google, Namecheap and Porkbun, but at a glance CloudFlare's renewal pricing seems better. Anyone using them have anything to say so far?

Comments

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2019

As far as I know, they don't allow you to change the nameserver, so you must use Cloudflare's DNS services. If you already use Cloudflare, it seems like a decent option. I transferred https://babeljs.io/ there earlier this year, mainly because it made administration a bit easier (the Babel team already have Cloudflare accounts, so having the domains in the same account is useful).

Thanked by 1neps
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Using Cf for my personal domain. Works great as I don't need to change the nameservers. If you need to, just transfer the domain.

Thanked by 1neps
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Fuck the 1$ I save, I rather run my own DNS.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Just another registrar, nothing great nothing bad.

• Everyone seems to agree one thing. The price is better. But how better? How much can you save actually?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@yokowasis said:
    Everyone seems to agree one thing. The price is better. But how better? How much can you save actually?

They basically sell at cost. .com is $8.03. If you already use them for DNS then you can save a buck or more, depending on where you're moving it from.

If you don't want to use CF then you can use Namesilo which is $8.99, or Porkbun which is $8.56 at the moment.

• The prices are great specially in the renewal .. :wink:

• I just finished moving all my domains from CF to Porkbun. Stick to someone other then CF.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited August 2019

@Harambe said:

@yokowasis said:
    Everyone seems to agree one thing. The price is better. But how better? How much can you save actually?

They basically sell at cost. .com is $8.03. If you already use them for DNS then you can save a buck or more, depending on where you're moving it from.

If you don't want to use CF then you can use Namesilo which is $8.99, or Porkbun which is $8.56 at the moment.

So, it's just about $1 a year? I mean we need to request the code, wait for the code, and then register the new domain, paying it, etc etc.

I don't know about you guys, but I won't do that for $1.

• nepsneps Member

yokowasis said: I don't know about you guys, but I won't do that for $1.

I wouldn't do it for $1, but I'd be willing to spend a couple hours to save $1 x a few hundred, year after year from now on.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Cloud#%&$ the corporation that de-platforms people and is the biggest MITM known?

Thanks no, I don't buy from extortionists, blackmailer, and suppressors. And I value freedom much higher than saving a couple of $.

Thanked by 2angelius GuyP
  • @jsg said:
    Cloud#%&$ the corporation that de-platforms people and is the biggest MITM known?

Thanks no, I don't buy from extortionists, blackmailer, and suppressors. And I value freedom much higher than saving a couple of $.

Also: a few years ago “the DDoS crisis” started. Where attacks started getting in the 3 digit Gbps territory.

Everybody was actively talking about having systems for distributing ACLs to the edge. As in: block IPs at their ISP (or at the ISP’s upstream if the ISP didn’t participate) and not wasting any more bandwidth.

It would benefit everybody in not having to deal with illegitimate traffic spikes. This whole thing seems to have fallen apart when CF and other DDoS shields started throwing buckets of money into marketing :-(

1. Cloudflare does not allows your to use external or your web host's DNS/Nameservers at all. If you want to use them, you've to transfer-out from cloudflare. So I'll always avoid such registrar who imposes restrictions.

2. Recently Cloudflare started "monitoring" user websites for content and even suspending them entirely (Read: 8chan). So I don't think one should keep their domain names with Cloudflare especially if you are running a forum or have user-submitted content. You are giving Cloudflare a right to suspend your account (services) and domain FOREVER. Suspended domains cannot be renewed or transferred to any other registrar. So you loose the right to hold your domain.

For saving a dollar or two, I don't think to transfer my domains from other registrars like namecheap, namesilo, Eranet, or epik to Cloudflare.

Thanked by 1GuyP
  • Cloudflare registrar is not the same service as cloudflare the Http/s caching proxy-for-hire.

I do not use their MITM as a service. Dns, registrar :yes

• kalipuskalipus Member
    edited August 2019

@jsg said:

kino x is hosted by them (former ddos guard), which is a pretty big illegal movie streaming site and reputed for beeing connected to russian or eastern mafia

the site has been taken down about 3-4 times from international raids, the two guys are chased by interpol and made millions with their site, basically they just give a shit now about the site or mess about the police, but as far they trust cloudflare, somehow they have to pay the costs and if you follow the money... normally, but i think they are also using frontmans and offshore companys etc.
    however the site still brings in some nice cash i think and it's now over 1,5 yrs on cloudflare

• kalipuskalipus Member
    edited August 2019

@vimalware said:
    Cloudflare registrar is not the same service as cloudflare the Http/s caching proxy-for-hire.

I do not use their MITM as a service. Dns, registrar :yes

oh boy...

btt

using it now for over half a year and transfered a few .net domains to them, cause prices are about 3-4$ cheaper than namecheap and their interface is much nicer.

you can also try alibaba domains, complete fucked up interface, but really nice prices on some domains, for example i transfered my main business .tech domain to them and saved about 30$ first year, but they don't offer whois, so i had to redact it myself, now support says it is on by default, but i don't trust chinese ^_^

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2019

@Daniel15 said:
    As far as I know, they don't allow you to change the nameserver, so you must use Cloudflare's DNS services.

@JasonM said:
    1. Cloudflare does not allows your to use external or your web host's DNS/Nameservers at all. If you want to use them, you've to transfer-out from cloudflare. So I'll always avoid such registrar who imposes restrictions.

From an earlier thread:

tl;dr if their support changes your nameservers (upon request) within seven days, they're in the clear

Source: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/approved-with-specs-27jun13-en.pdf

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

ClouDNS for the win, wouldn't touch Cloudflare with a 10 foot barge pole

Thanked by 1aaronstuder
  • @doghouch said:

@Daniel15 said:
    As far as I know, they don't allow you to change the nameserver, so you must use Cloudflare's DNS services.

@JasonM said:

From an earlier thread:

tl;dr if their support changes your nameservers (upon request) within seven days, they're in the clear

Source: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/approved-with-specs-27jun13-en.pdf

No registrar or even ICANN really cares about this, you can definitly place anywhere somehow data, the only confirm you have to make is to click the link in the confirm email, there is no other checks made, it is just big bla bla for justice reasons.

• @kalipus In addition to this, I’ve done it before — I had my nameservers changed (domain registered @ CloudFlare) by ticket within 48 hours.

Thanked by 1yoursunny