Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I forgot to cancel my PayPal subscription at Stockservers. - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I forgot to cancel my PayPal subscription at Stockservers.

Comments

• imokimok Member

@yokowasis said:
    Drama aside what happened to deleted account? I can't find any legit reason for a provider to delete an account without specifically asked by the user.

The problem is not the account deleted (from the user view) or suspended (from the provider perspective).

The problem is the lack of communication, as usual.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @Lee said:

AuroraZ said: That is generally what happens when you don't pay for something, either that or you get kicked out, or your car repossessed, lights turned off, etc......

But somehow on LET, not paying your bills on time and being suspended is unfair and makes a bad provider.

Could be solved easily, Ban any and all recurring paypal payments on LET. You get caught doing it as a provider then you lose your ability to post here. You want it as a client set it up with the provider off LET, but do not come here and bitch afterwards. You do that you get a ban, So simple a child could understand it.

We are not and never will be any provider's helpdesk. If you have a problem with them take it to them not us. People here need to stop answering this shit then maybe someone will get that idea through there heads.

• HxxxHxxx Member

IIRC , providers have the ability to cancel PP subs.

• LeeLee Veteran

Hxxx said: IIRC , providers have the ability to cancel PP subs.

Not that simple, as already pointed out.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I had one of the best ones ever a few weeks back which probably tipped me over the edge on this, "Hi I have had an account since 2012 and I only had a VPS for around 6 months, I have just noticed you have been charging me every month since then, if you could just refund plus any interest you have gained that would be great"

So did you give them their $0.20 of interest back?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hxxx said: IIRC , providers have the ability to cancel PP subs.

So do you, and its yours.

Unlike the company you make a manual action and deliberate decision to set up a subscription, the company is a passive recipient, you make an active and considered decision to cancel a service, the company is a passive participant in that.

When you have 10,000+ active services you start to see cancellation requests in bunches daily, but thats just an email notification, it does not say that the customer has a subscription or not and when your concallation request email and on screen tells you to cancel your subscription if you have one, saying "providers have the ability to cancel pp subs" is about as helpful as tits on a fish.

Thanked by 3uptime Lee PureVoltage

hostnoob said: So did you give them their $0.20 of interest back?

yes and a free pocket lamp.

• @AnthonySmith said:

hostnoob said: So did you give them their $0.20 of interest back?

yes and a free pocket lamp.

Damn it!!!! Now I want an Inception Hosting pocket lamp.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2019

@AnthonySmith many companies literally require the customer to agree and accept the PayPal sub. On these cases I see the responsibility more on the provider side.

Thread is so long i forgot why are we even discussing this, PayPal gives the customer like 120 days to ask for a refund IIRC.

While it is a dick move to go through the PP route instead of talking it with the provider, it is the customer right to go that route if he/she prefer that way. Some providers define this act as as a violation to the contract of services, so it might vary.

It cant be that hard to code a hook that call the PayPal REST API and kill the sub upon termination of all services...

• @AnthonySmith said:
    tits on a fish

hmmm ... welp, that's enough LET for today I think.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
    edited August 2019

Hxxx said: @AnthonySmith many companies literally require the customer to agree and accept the PayPal sub. On these cases I see the responsibility more on the provider side.

None of them do, you are thinking about a paypal pre approved payment, that is a different thing, the subscription agreement is 100% made between paypal and the customer post redirection to the processor.

Hxxx said: It cant be that hard to code a hook that call the PayPal REST API and kill the sub upon termination of all services...

Go for it then, you will make a none negligible amount of money selling that to hosts for what you assume is a negligible amount of time, just remember 1 sub can cover multiple services so it needs to be intelligent enough to also reduce the subscription amount to cover the other services without the end users authorization to the paypal account... good luck.

Thanked by 3AuroraZ Hxxx uptime
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2019

IIRC, on WHMCS you can activate the "Pay with PayPal" button but also a variation which says "PayPal Subscription". I've seen cases in the past, my personal experience, where the button to pay just one time with PayPal is disabled and there is just the "PayPal Sub" button at the top right on the invoice shown by WHMCS.

It varies by provider.

In the end is just the billing code that is terrible. If there were active services and then they were cancelled and the PP subscription continues, the billing system should trigger at least a refund upon receiving the money, automatically. Probably easier to code in Blesta.

@AnthonySmith said:

Hxxx said: @AnthonySmith many companies literally require the customer to agree and accept the PayPal sub. On these cases I see the responsibility more on the provider side.

None of them do, you are thinking about a paypa pre approved payment, that is a different thing, the subscription agreement is 100% made between paypal and the customer post redirection to the processor.

Hxxx said: It cant be that hard to code a hook that call the PayPal REST API and kill the sub upon termination of all services...

Go for it then, you will make a none negligible amount of money selling that to hosts for what you assume is a negligible amount of time, just remember 1 sub can cover multiple services so it needs to be intelligent enough to also reduce the subscription amount to cover the other services without the end users authorization to the paypal account... good luck.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith

Hxxx said: In the end is just the billing code that is terrible.

Agreed.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@joepie91 said:

@Bopie said:
    @joepie91 you do realize the subscription it not setup via our site and is setup with PayPal, PayPal just gives us the option to monitor that subscription to see if a payment is made, whmcs doesn't impliment this very well as standard and we have refunded the OP as he didn't have a service so we won't keep the money, we are looking into billing agreements but in the mean time we have disabled PayPal subscriptions.

I'd like to say this again, the customers does not agree to pay us they agree to pay PayPal, the subscription is setup on PayPal website as thus we are not the liable person, but either way PayPal tos explains all this.

Yes, I have been told several times now that technically the customer interacts directly with PayPal. I've also explained several times that that's an entirely irrelevant implementation detail.

It's good that you're looking into billing agreements now, but I want to be really clear about this: if you take PayPal subscriptions, and you integrate that into your payment flow, you absolutely are liable for any overcharges (in many jurisdictions), regardless of what the PayPal TOS say. PayPal TOS do not trump the law.

So am I equally liable if the Customer sets up a standing order with their bank to send money to me, and then forgets to cancel it ?

Sure, Customer deserves a refund, but that’s by no means my fault.

PayPal subscription is basically equal to a standing order with your bank.

Thanked by 3Lee jackb quadhost
    edited August 2019

Clouvider said: PayPal subscription is basically equal to a standing order with your bank.

I think part of the issue here and perhaps I am wrong, standing orders are pretty unique to the UK, everywhere else is cotton wool land.

If I am wrong i cant think of any other good reason for people to literally throw their money away and make it someone else's problem, that is excluding "I forgot" as a valid reason.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: about as helpful as tits on a fish

Pros and cons, discuss.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • stupid sexy fish

Thanked by 1Lee
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

@Hxxx said:
    IIRC , providers have the ability to cancel PP subs.

Depends on the customers PayPal account. Accounts created before ~2010 usually got PayPal subscription IDs starting with S. These cannot be cancelled by the provider via API. Newer accounts usually got PayPal subscription IDs starting with I. These can be cancelled via API.

Billing agreements have worked way better for us.

@Clouvider said:

I like this analogy. I think this is the first time I've seen it described that way, it fits.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited August 2019

@Clouvider said:

@joepie91 said:

@Bopie said:
    @joepie91 you do realize the subscription it not setup via our site and is setup with PayPal, PayPal just gives us the option to monitor that subscription to see if a payment is made, whmcs doesn't impliment this very well as standard and we have refunded the OP as he didn't have a service so we won't keep the money, we are looking into billing agreements but in the mean time we have disabled PayPal subscriptions.

I'd like to say this again, the customers does not agree to pay us they agree to pay PayPal, the subscription is setup on PayPal website as thus we are not the liable person, but either way PayPal tos explains all this.

Yes, I have been told several times now that technically the customer interacts directly with PayPal. I've also explained several times that that's an entirely irrelevant implementation detail.

It's good that you're looking into billing agreements now, but I want to be really clear about this: if you take PayPal subscriptions, and you integrate that into your payment flow, you absolutely are liable for any overcharges (in many jurisdictions), regardless of what the PayPal TOS say. PayPal TOS do not trump the law.

So am I equally liable if the Customer sets up a standing order with their bank to send money to me, and then forgets to cancel it ?

Sure, Customer deserves a refund, but that’s by no means my fault.

I brought this up two pages ago. Some call it billpay it is a standing order you setup at your bank. Only you can cancel it, not the payee. If you don't cancel it your bank will tell you oh well it is your fault. They will not go after the payee, nor will they reimburse you for your moronic shit.

What people really need to do it take responsibility for their own shit and not push it on to some one else. It is not just this, but in ALL aspects of their lives.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Use paypal pre authorization - customers get annoyed that you took money when they planned to cancel and you then have potentially weaponized your billing system against customers made by a company with a less than average security record.,

WEAPONIZED WHMCS.

Weapons of Math Destruction.

• AnthonySmith said: As a host, you literally cant win.

absolutely this.

@AnthonySmith said:

Clouvider said: PayPal subscription is basically equal to a standing order with your bank.

I think part of the issue here and perhaps I am wrong, standing orders are pretty unique to the UK, everywhere else is cotton wool land.

at least for Germany I can tell that standing orders are very common here too. and YES, if someone forgets to cancel exactly that standing order after cancelling the contract it belonged too (landlord, power, mobile, server, etc.) - the receiver/provider by no means can simply keep that overpaid money.

after the contract ended, keeping the money would be 'unjust enrichment' and gives legal reason to demand it back (or damage compensation, legal blabla). if you send it back you probably could deduct fees and such - if they occured.

however. I agree it's a pain in the ass for providers. all stupid customers are. on the other hand, it's simply a business risk you definitely should factor in ;-)

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

@Falzo said: [...]

Yes yes of course but what about @AnthonySmith's tittyfish ???

EDIT2: Am I a furry now...? Dammit LET.

Thanked by 2Falzo AnthonySmith
  • @uptime said:

here you go

• I'd tap that.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @Falzo said:

@uptime said:

here you go

Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.

• Is tittyfish a thing, or just a natural progression of a LET thread about subscriptions and refunds...

• @ricardo said:
    Is tittyfish a thing, or just a natural progression of a LET thread about subscriptions and refunds...

It is a song by Dethklok, but I am almost positive Ant did not mean the song.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

I had no idea ...

@ricardo said:
    Is tittyfish a thing, or just a natural progression of a LET thread about subscriptions and refunds...

The natural progression, and the logical conclusion.

Tittyfish shall be the Alpha and the Omega of all LET threads.

Henceforth and forevermore.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • uptime said: I had no idea ...

Still no idea after seeing that

Thanked by 2AuroraZ uptime
  • @uptime said:
    I had no idea ...

@ricardo said:

The natural progression, and the logical conclusion.

Tittyfish shall be the Alpha and the Omega of all LET threads.

Henceforth and forevermore.

This is what happens when I start drinking and NOT taking my meds lol.

@ricardo Yeah it is more of an eclectic group, Dethklok fans.

Thanked by 1uptime
This discussion has been closed.