Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for KVM VPS 2 Core / 4 GB for development
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for KVM VPS 2 Core / 4 GB for development

My Requirements:

Stability comes the first. At least 99.9% SLA.

Number of Cores: 2, or 1 dedicated or 100% usage allowed.
RAM: ~4GB
Disk: at least 40GB SSD

Bandwidth: at least 1TB(download) over 100MB port

IPv4: ~2
IPv6: required, at least /112

Budget: ~120 USD/Year.

It should have good route to both Mainland China and the United States, both IPv4 and IPv6. So US / HK / Japan / NL is preferred.

Budget is flexable. I would definitely pay more for long-term contract with 100% SLA, more resources, block storage or premium network & support.

Waiting for recommendations. Thanks a lot >.<.

Comments

• Do take a look at @HostDoc dedicated CPU plan.

Thanked by 2HostDoc dahartigan
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

I know that you have specified KVM but we can offer dedicated server for that budget:

Dallas, TX
    Dedicated server:
    Intel® Atom™ C2750 (8-Core, 2.4GHz)
    8GB RAM
    240GB SSD
    100 mbps unmetered DDoS protected port
    Premium bandwidth mix
    Fully automated os installs or guided net-installs
    12 USD per month with promo code YBDX4U70Q
    For yearly payment we can add 2nd IPv4 as a bonus.
    https://drserver.net/dedicated.php

One note: Those systems does not have KVM console. However you have recovery console and automatic / guided OS installs.

If you like some of other dedicated servers in our stock list which is out of stock please let me know, we have daily stock change of servers so preorders are possible.

We have 100% SLA on power and network.
    Bandwidth mix: Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, GTT, Telia, Equinix Peering, DECIX Peering, Private Peering

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

drserver said: However you have recovery console

What does the recovery console do, if it isn't KVM?

• Look at @HostDoc and BuyVM.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I have SG and DE KVM from @HostDoc and must say it has never been down in 6 months.
    The performance is also great needless to say anything about their wonderful support.

@joepie91 said:

It loads recovery os with access to your disk. So you get console access via ssh.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @cybertech said:
    Do take a look at @HostDoc dedicated CPU plan.

@Galeej said:
    I have SG and DE KVM from @HostDoc and must say it has never been down in 6 months.
    The performance is also great needless to say anything about their wonderful support.

Thanks guys.
    The mentions are appreciated but we only guarantee 99.7% uptime currently so do not think we are a match for OPs request. Yet!

Thanked by 2sanvit dahartigan
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

SunriseFox said:

Stability comes the first. At least 99.9% SLA.

Number of Cores: 2, or 1 dedicated or 100% usage allowed.

may be good for OP to clarify with regard to the "100%" usage allowed for CPU

that is - 100% usage how often, and for how long?

Some details about the application / development environment could be helpful as well.

For example - "application uses database which needs SSD with good I/O (etc) and also want graphical environment for an IDE" (or whatever ...)

Based on the "Stability comes first" request - I would suggest to check with First-Root (@FR_Michael) who offers some pretty nice service in Germany (I don't know how connection to China is, but it worked well for me in western USA when I last tried it a few months ago). Also - the KVM has nested virtualization (First-Root seems to be one of very few providers - along with @HostDoc - who offer this feature "out of the box")

Also might check UltraVPS.eu (@UltraVPS) and CrownCloud (@SpeedBus) for something decent in Los Angeles - they are both quite reliable in my experience.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2019

@drserver said:

@joepie91 said:

It loads recovery os with access to your disk. So you get console access via ssh.

Aha. Does that allow booting into arbitrary ISOs also?

(I'm not the OP, but I'm always looking for cheap dedicated servers that I can install NixOS on without too much hassle... and basically nobody carries that out-of-the-box.)

• uptime said: Some details about the application / development environment could be helpful as well.

For example - "application uses database which needs SSD with good I/O (etc) and also want graphical environment for an IDE" (or whatever ...)

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I'm planning to use it as a web server and sometimes use it to run some docker-ready apps or work as a CI agent. I just don't quite like to pay attention to the resource management and sometimes may be unaware of resource-consuming apps...

Thanked by 1uptime
    edited August 2019

Aha. Does that allow booting into arbitrary ISOs also?

(I'm not the OP, but I'm always looking for cheap dedicated servers that I can install NixOS on without too much hassle... and basically nobody carries that out-of-the-box.)

We have VNC based iso installer for non kvm machines. We can test that specific iso.

Lmk if you want to have free test drive.
    @joepie91

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

@SunriseFox - well that sounds reasonable enough, shouldn't be a problem for the providers I mentioned (First-Root, CrownCloud and UltraVPS.eu)

I have been using CrownCloud's storage KVM in Los Angeles (in two datacenters) for over a year (one for over 18 months) and checking my records, I see they went offline for brief periods a total of 3 times - all with notification in advance. Twice were for scheduled maintenance (once for a switch upgrade, once for applying security patch to kernel), and the other was due to RAID card problem and subsequent migration to a fresh node (no data loss). TL;DR - they have demonstrated ability to stay on top of things and are able to handle issues quickly and effectively if something comes up. And would also note that they have avoided any power failures even when Psychz (one of the data centers they use in LA) has had outages elsewhere in their facility recently.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/159181/crowncloud-4-gb-ram-60-gb-ssd-kvm-at-frankfurt-los-angeles-7-month-more/p1

I have as more limited experience with First-Root and UltraVPS.eu but am comfortable recommending them based on that, and also from what I've heard about them from others.

Also have good experience with @DrServer and would definitely suggest to take a close look at their offer mentioned above

One more to consider - especially for "unlimited" CPU use - would be Wishosting (@exception0x876) - they are also very reliable and easy to work with in my experience. Be sure to check their "Deal of the Day" which currently seems to be a beast of a KVM in Los Angeles (but about twice your stated budget)

• I'm more than 6 months into UltraVPS, no downtime. Their SSD special should fit your requirements , less SLA

Thanked by 3uptime Ouji UltraVPS
  • antonpaantonpa Member, Patron Provider

Please look at our offer https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/159523/kvm-vps-just-1-77-mo-200-mbit-unlimited-4-locations-ipv4-ipv6-15-days-moneyback

DataLine location has good route to USA and China:
    you can check this here:

http://ping.pe/46.17.40.85

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited August 2019

Netcup.eu (English ordering page) https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2130

8GB RAM 40Gb SSD or 320GB SAS - 8.99 EURO - Monthly contract period

Netcup.eu (German ordering page) https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2104

8GB RAM 40Gb SSD or 320GB SAS - 6.99 EURO 12 month contract perioed

You can also order on 6 month and 1 month contract period for a 7.99 and 8.99 on the German ordering page.

Shameless plug for my coupon.

Thanked by 1SunriseFox
  • spectraipspectraip Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2019

SpectraIP can offer you:

VPS X4
    4 GB DDR4
    2 CPU cores
    100 GB SSD
    5 TB bandwidth
    1 IP address

€ 90 per year (approx $ 101)

Datacenter: Amsterdam
    To order, please email us ([email protected])

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Our Farm plan would meet your needs: https://freerangecloud.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=101

I can PM you a promo code to knock it down to your $120/yr budget. It only comes with 1 IPv4 by default, but I can add a second one for you.

Available in Ashburn, Fremont or Winnipeg (Fremont would likely have the best connection to China). We have a looking glass here: http://lg.freerangecloud.com to test routing.

Thanked by 2uptime SunriseFox
  • ServerHunterServerHunter Member, Host Rep

Some offers located in your preferred countries:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=96E-8F9-129 :)

Thanked by 1SunriseFox
  • uptime said: @SunriseFox - well that sounds reasonable enough, shouldn't be a problem for the providers I mentioned (First-Root, CrownCloud and UltraVPS.eu)

Thanks very much for your recommendations.

First-Root has their own datacenter and free BGP / IP announcement which are very charming to me. But as located in Germany, IPv6 latency to China (~450ms) and to US (~120ms) are not quite acceptable...

CrownCloud's QN datacenter is indeed the best for China. I'll take it into consideration if I need another VPS with good network. So does UltraVPS.eu's US datacenter.

Galeej said: Look at @HostDoc and BuyVM.

BuyVM is always out of stock... (and a little expensive too)

rchurch said: Netcup.eu (English ordering page) https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2130

8GB RAM 40Gb SSD or 320GB SAS - 8.99 EURO - Monthly contract period

Their website is really confusing for non-German users...

Thanks everyone again! You really helped me a lot. Currently I've made a deal with drServer, hopefully it will be my main development server.

Thanked by 3uptime ITLabs SpeedBus
  • I’d say get a hetzner cloud and use something like Germany CN2 as proxy

• 🦊

• 🦊