Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Import cPanel backups to DirectAdmin not possible?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Import cPanel backups to DirectAdmin not possible?

Has anyone managed to import cPanel backups to DirectAdmin successfully?

I've recently been told by staff of a well known hosting provider in this board that it is simply not possible.

Hello *,

DirectAdmin has username limits that are far less reasonable that cPanel.

Technical Support

-

Hello,

I am sorry but we are unable to import these accounts. You will need to manually create >these accounts and import the data from the backups. Alternatively, you can stay on >your cPanel reseller plan.

Technical Support

Comments

• @MikePT does that. afaik you can manually import each domains but not in full

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

Yes, we have done successfully. You can change the username length by editing directadmin.conf file.

sed -i 's|^max_username_length=10|max_username_length=16|' /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf

After changing the length, restart directadmin.

• @kauriman you can import cPanel backups into DA, no problem, details here - https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58059. You can also specify the username length up to 14 characters here - https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=189 - or up to 30 characters here - https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2294. Hope that helps.

• LeviLevi Member

Wondering why such hard limit is introduced.

• @LTniger said:

I believe it is because of mySQL limits. MariaDB 10.x allows up to 80 characters for username but <= MySQL 5.7.8 only allows max 16 characters.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@LTniger said:

MySQL has some ugly limits.

@kauriman - That was with us. Are any of your users that long? We already bumped our limit to 16 but I'm guessing Anthony tried and it was failing.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@LTniger said:

@kauriman - That was with us. Are any of your users that long? We already bumped our limit to 16 but I'm guessing Anthony tried and it was failing.

Francisco

@Francisco Yes, this is happening with a DA slice I have with you. None of my accounts are 16+

• LeviLevi Member

kauriman said: None of my accounts are 16+

Are those account names have some non UTF-8 characters?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@sanvit said:
    @MikePT does that. afaik you can manually import each domains but not in full

@LeonDynamic said:

@LTniger said:

I believe it is because of mySQL limits. MariaDB 10.x allows up to 80 characters for username but <= MySQL 5.7.8 only allows max 16 characters.

@Francisco said:

@LTniger said:

Francisco

It can and should totally be bumped to 32 chars. That's the reason why it fails.

Open directadmin.conf and set max_username_length=32

Magic! :)

• Restrict it to good old eight chars. and be done with it! :-p
    More space=more crap. ;)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Restrict it to good old eight chars. and be done with it! :-p
    More space=more crap. ;)

I agree. For easy management, its better to have 8 char usernames. But, if op already have longer usernames, then its a different case.

• Happens everyday, I have done a few myself and so has at least one host I use.