Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zen Internet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Zen Internet

Does any other user share my exasperation with Zen Internet?

They seemed good when I signed up with them 10 years ago. Has their standard of service gone downhill? Or have our assumptions changed, such that we now expect better? I cannot answer the question to my own satisfaction.

On the last occasion that I sent them an email, the response was a phone call a fortnight later. The Zen lady informed me that I had requested a call-back - which I hadn't. The only pleasure, in phoning Zen, is talking to someone with a Lancashire accent. How the memories come flooding back.

Their livechat system should be called deadchat, it perpetually displays an 'agents are not available at this time' message. The problem may be that it is available to the public, not to customers only.

Perhaps web hosting is difficult to run. The business cannot readily be divided into profit centres that are autonomous, they are too interdependent.

Anyway I've decided to jump ship, I've had enough. Namecheap interests me, as a hosting/registrar combo it offers me almost direct access to my Nominet records. It remains to mention, in these cynical times, that I am unconnected with NC.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have been with BT, TalkTalk, Zen, Sky and Plusnet and I have come to the conclusion, they are all shit, the problem is the system in the UK is shit, everyone buys from BT, BT don't need to care because they get your money one way or another.

The only real exception is BT Business, they will let you pay for it even at home. its about £15 p/month more than regular home grade, but you can pick up a phone and ACTUALLY get service.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I think the OP has an issue with them as a hosting provider not them as an ISP?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

wow what, who would go to zen for hosting only, thats bananas! haha

• I will be leaving Zen as an ISP at the end of my current contract, have seen speeds go from 58Mbps to 36Mbps in the space of 6 months and claim they are unable to do anything about it. I know it's BT's fault but still, expect more effort from an ISP where I'm paying a lot higher than alternatives.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Looking at their twitter they've had a lot of issues recently - we've been lucky. I've had 30 minutes downtime in the last 12 months and our speeds are always where they should be. Only downside is when we did have the 30 minutes down, after 30 minutes waiting on the phone to check if there was a problem in the area, the internet was back up before anyone even answered.
    So in terms of their support staff I can't comment as I was old hold long enough for the internet to fix itself - make of that what you will lol.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

For ISP I personally tried Virgin, BT, EE. The EE was the best due to support based in Bristol and Ireland, no issue.