Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time4VPS legacy package deprecation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time4VPS legacy package deprecation

BochiBochi Member

The day has come, Time4VPS is getting rid of their legacy packages (Storage & VPS) we all fell in love with some years ago:

I just renewed my service, so I should be fine for another two years - so act fast if you still own a legacy service from them.
Service was stellar the last four years, so let's see how they develop further!

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2019

Bochi said: Service was stellar the last four years, so let's see how they develop further!

Full ack.

Hint: You can renew manually in their client panel.

Thanked by 1Aleksio
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Called it.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • BochiBochi Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Called it.

Sure, I doubt this is a too much of a surprise to anyone. ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Literally 1 day notice for people that renew next month.

That's some cPanel level bullshit right there.

Francisco

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2019

The end of a glorious Era of storage idling. 🤓

Thanked by 1willie
  • lowfrontlowfront Member
    edited July 2019

Super disappointed.

• BochiBochi Member

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I think the packages had their first appearance in August, so assuming most people opted for the yearly or most likely biennial billing cycle, this should affect most legacy customers.

• williewillie Member

It's also not clear at all what plans the old storage plans are supposed to switch to. If the new storage plans, those are almost the same plans except with higher prices. If the C-series container plans, those have a lot more cpu and ram but are stupendously more expensive. An ironic thing is that the old plans' pricing is finally sort of sustainable due to a few years of disk drives getting cheaper.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

Francisco

On August 1st we will only upgrade resources which client will be able to use free for the remaining service billing period.

The prices will only change on September 1st and will take effect only on the next billing cycle.

• BochiBochi Member

@time4vps said:
    On August 1st we will only upgrade resources which client will be able to use free for the remaining service billing period.

The prices will only change on September 1st and will take effect only on the next billing cycle.

I can still edit the initial post. So if you feel like explaining the changes in more detail than the mail does, feel free to do so here. I can put it to the top.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Remember when they said they were sustainable plans with profit :)

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • lowfrontlowfront Member
    edited July 2019

I guess they don't want our money. I will not be staying.

Thanked by 1gonzo
  • LeeLee Veteran

@lowfront said:
    I guess they don't want our money.

Of course, they do, they just want more of it.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@cazrz said:
    time4planB

I think 11th trimester abortions are illegal in most places.

Francisco

Thanked by 2AuroraZ julesZA
  • williewillie Member

Will the old storage plans be converted to the plans currently shown at https://www.time4vps.com/storage-vps/ ?

Are those actually somehow different from the old plans, except for costing more?

Thanks!

• Thanks for helping us build our business! Everyone can F off now!

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    Will the old storage plans be converted to the plans currently shown at https://www.time4vps.com/storage-vps/ ?

Are those actually somehow different from the old plans, except for costing more?

Thanks!

Yes, Storage plans will be converted to current ones. Till 1st of September, you will be able to prolong service with current prices.

From a resource point of view, you are correct. However from the time old packages were provisioned, Time4VPS has opened and successfully certified Tier III Data Center, continuously invested and renewed network infrastructure and servers hardware and started offering 24/7 support for our clients. Time4VPS always tries to make our services more easy and comfortable to use that is why we have launched User API. Also during the period of time, we have introduced new functionalities which will only grow in the future:

IPv6 addresses;
    Local IP addresses;
    1 Gbps port speed component;
    Init Scripts management;
    SSH keys management during installation;
    Server DNS change through client area;
    Web SSH client and more.

• @time4vps I have been requesting Ubuntu 18 for awhile. Is that ever going to happen? Thank you!

• @lowfront said:
    @time4vps I have been requesting Ubuntu 18 for awhile. Is that ever going to happen? Thank you!

Not if they are running OVZ6 still. Unless they manually the template, which I do not see them doing anytime soon.

• williewillie Member

Iirc my storage plan had 1gbps when I got it, and those plans were later downgraded to 100mbps on some pretext (some other less interesting parameter had been increased). There was a thread about it at the time.

To Time4vps's credit, after a while people were allowed to request undoing the change by opening a ticket. I meant to do so but never got around to it, and I guess it doesn't matter that much. I only have a 500MB plan that I'm using for static backups, so I can transfer it in about 12 hours at 100mbps, which is not too bad.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

time4vps said: However from the time old packages were provisioned, Time4VPS has opened and successfully certified Tier III Data Center, continuously invested and renewed network infrastructure and servers hardware and started offering 24/7 support for our clients. Time4VPS always tries to make our services more easy and comfortable to use that is why we have launched User API. Also during the period of time, we have introduced new functionalities which will only grow in the future

I call this a bullshit. The normal growth of a company, called here as... evolve for their clients... Yeah, sure...
    What of this caused an increase of the price of 300% in some cases? IPv6 addresses; Giving access internally to your client's servers (you called this "Local IP addresses")? 1 Gbps port speed, something standard for the industry nowadays? SSH keys management during installation (let's laugh)! Web SSH client (really you call this a... new feature? OMG).

New fancy TierIII Datacenter. I thought owning a datacenter will reduce costs because you don't rent anything. Is this an excuse for this price hike?

I have a plan that costed 30€ biennially. Now, the same plan will cost me 80€. The specs are exactly the same. Not a new, fancy cpu, just one core to be able to handle storage. RAM? Just 500MB. The same. Storage? The same in the same old disks. 512 GB. Bandwidth? 4 TB capped on 100 Mbps. What ridiculous decision excuses the almost 200% price hike to this plan? Only greed. Nothing else. You are not better than Oakley white collar executives. But the difference is that you are not CPanel. There are similar or better options with similar price nowadays. And it;s not about the cost (it is not so big anyway) but the shady corporate practices that you introduce. Knowing that a, so called, recurring price is just not that...

time4vps said: On August 1st we will only upgrade resources which client will be able to use free

Another bullshit. Your new plans do not upgrade anything... It's just the old plans with upgraded... price. It's a dry lie here, and you admit it in your next post.

Dry lie and greed!

From a resource point of view, you are correct.

When you advertise a promo saying that your price is recurring, you should honor your claim. Every other behavior is shitty. You just want to milk your remaining clients that will be so lazy to find something better and move the hell away from you, sky rocketing the cost. You just want the half clients having the same income, aka, even more profit from the same infrastructure.

At least, when some other players changed their plans (e.g. online.net with the cheap $2 dedicated servers), they withdrew that infrastructure and offered altered servers with much more powerful specs.
    And don't tell me that those plans are/was unsustainable for you, because in the last 3-4 years promoting them, as you said, your company grew a lot. Major growth and unsustainable plans just won't go together as an argument.

It's just greed

P.S.: The only thing that saves your integrity is that you allow your clients to renew the service in current price manually, even if it ends later or next year. Of course, this is the least you can do...

• LeviLevi Member

@jvnadr said:

time4vps said: However from the time old packages were provisioned, Time4VPS has opened and successfully certified Tier III Data Center, continuously invested and renewed network infrastructure and servers hardware and started offering 24/7 support for our clients. Time4VPS always tries to make our services more easy and comfortable to use that is why we have launched User API. Also during the period of time, we have introduced new functionalities which will only grow in the future

I call this a bullshit. The normal growth of a company, called here as... evolve for their clients... Yeah, sure...
    What of this caused an increase of the price of 300% in some cases? IPv6 addresses; Giving access internally to your client's servers (you called this "Local IP addresses")? 1 Gbps port speed, something standard for the industry nowadays? SSH keys management during installation (let's laugh)! Web SSH client (really you call this a... new feature? OMG).

New fancy TierIII Datacenter. I thought owning a datacenter will reduce costs because you don't rent anything. Is this an excuse for this price hike?

I have a plan that costed 30€ biennially. Now, the same plan will cost me 80€. The specs are exactly the same. Not a new, fancy cpu, just one core to be able to handle storage. RAM? Just 500MB. The same. Storage? The same in the same old disks. 512 GB. Bandwidth? 4 TB capped on 100 Mbps. What ridiculous decision excuses the almost 200% price hike to this plan? Only greed. Nothing else. You are not better than Oakley white collar executives. But the difference is that you are not CPanel. There are similar or better options with similar price nowadays. And it;s not about the cost (it is not so big anyway) but the shady corporate practices that you introduce. Knowing that a, so called, recurring price is just not that...

time4vps said: On August 1st we will only upgrade resources which client will be able to use free

Another bullshit. Your new plans do not upgrade anything... It's just the old plans with upgraded... price. It's a dry lie here, and you admit it in your next post.

Dry lie and greed!

From a resource point of view, you are correct.

When you advertise a promo saying that your price is recurring, you should honor your claim. Every other behavior is shitty. You just want to milk your remaining clients that will be so lazy to find something better and move the hell away from you, sky rocketing the cost. You just want the half clients having the same income, aka, even more profit from the same infrastructure.

At least, when some other players changed their plans (e.g. online.net with the cheap $2 dedicated servers), they withdrew that infrastructure and offered altered servers with much more powerful specs.
    And don't tell me that those plans are/was unsustainable for you, because in the last 3-4 years promoting them, as you said, your company grew a lot. Major growth and unsustainable plans just won't go together as an argument.

It's just greed

Forgot to take some meds? Don't bark on the wrong tree, go to cPanel thread and unleash your inner monster there. Do you even have their services?

P. S. Ask your-self - are you so important for any provider to be able dictate what is good and what is wrong and how fast world should spin according to your wish?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

LTniger said: Forgot to take some meds? Don't bark on the wrong tree, go to cPanel thread and unleash your inner monster there. Do you even have their services?

The same LTniger. Always there to insult other members with his BS. And, yes, I have services with both of their companies, as it shown in my text.

LTniger said: Ask your-self - are you so important for any provider to be able dictate what is good and what is wrong and how fast world should spin according to your wish?

Yes. I am, and as any of client of a company, we are important, not to dictate, but to have our own opinion or be frustrated for shady practices of a company that affect us. After all, a company without clients is a sinking ship.
    Am I so important to them alone? Of course no, but this does not eliminate my right to yell when I see such bad B2C practices...
    Do they have every right to increase their prices 200-300%? Yes, they do. Do I have the right to criticize heavily their decision? Of course, yes. Is this means that I am trying to alter the way the world spins? Only a moron could use this as an argument for criticizing a company's practices.

P.S. Usually I am on a provider's side when has to do with company decisions or crazy demands from clients. But this is not the case. A price hike this big, especially when the excuses are sooo poor and laughable, is not the same thing...

• BochiBochi Member

@jvnadr - you have every right to critize, but it's not what you say, but how you say it.
    I am not happy with this decision myself. However, it's not that we are locked in...
    There are many providers that discontinue some packages every now and then.
    In this case the price was always recurring, so no point there. And who says the new services aren't deployed on a different set of hardware?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

Bochi said: I am not happy with this decision myself. However, it's not that we are locked in...

I am not thinking I am locked there. In fact, I just renew my storage vps for another two years as i like their services. I am not frustrated with their services or their prices, but about their shady corporate practice that is more and more frequent.

Bochi said: And who says the new services aren't deployed on a different set of hardware?

They did. You can see the new plans on their website and compare it with the current one. And here, they admitted it. They don't claim that they will move you to a better server (although it is common for companies to move clients to a newer hardware when they renewing their equipment to match today's standards or to consume less energy), they claim that their company evolved giving new specs as a certification of the datacenter, internal ips and web terminal...

• psb777psb777 Member

Exactly four years minus 8 days ago, they posted an offer with really low biennial prices. Now the lowest plan goes from 15.84 EUR to 59.98 EUR...

I thought, reading the email, that the price goes up on 1st Aug, but from the comments it seems 1st Sep, so that's another one or two years of old price. Either way, I am not renewing, there should be a boycott.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

psb777 said: they posted an offer

I could be mistaken but that thread doesn't seem to mention anything about them being recurring prices?

I don't know about time4vps but I know every offer I've seen for hostens (same company) hasn't been recurring.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ julesZA
  • psb777psb777 Member

@Mr_Tom said:

psb777 said: they posted an offer

I could be mistaken but that thread doesn't seem to mention anything about them being recurring prices?

No, but that was their regular price, not a special discount. In their own words:

Q: Can I receive discount?

A: Do you really need one? Just look at our Annually or Biennially prices. Calculate. Are you feeling bad by asking for additional discount?

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

This is what happens when your profit margin is 2 cents per account.