Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway free credit scam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway free credit scam

JonaJona Member

Just to inform the community that Scaleway has some shady commercial practices. I signed up with them today July 29, then they offered a $500 free credit to try their services until September 1st upon credit card registration. Right after, I started my first instance, and checked on my bill usage to make sure things apply like they should. To my surprise, I saw the offer was reduced to 2 days instead of the 1 month initial promise... I took a screenshot of the offer and kindly ask the support if that was not a mistake and if the offer would auto-renew at the end of the current month to comply with the initial offer claims... Here is the answer from the support:

Hello,

I confirm you that your discount credit can be used until 1st August, it is not valid until 1st of September.

Regards,

So I still can't tell about the quality of their servers for now, but I can smell the shady stuff coming... I wanted to share this experience here so that people don't get fooled like me :)

Thanked by 1jvnadr

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Where is the "scam" part?

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Jona said: $500 free credit to try their services until September 1st

https://console.scaleway.com/register

Interesting. It does say september 1st above, though I don't know which products ("Elements") are included.

• So you call someone does not give you free meal scam? There may be some false advertisement but it isn't scam.

• It's not a scam @Jona, it's just a free promotion.
    Never take any promotions into account, only look for the actual sustainable prices and decide if it's a fair deal or not.

Thanked by 2ITLabs level6
  • williewillie Member

If they advertise the credit is good til Sept 1 but it's actually only good til Aug 1, that is a bait and switch scam.

• JonaJona Member

Just curious, when someone tells "I'll give you this" then don't give you nothing... how do you call it ?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited July 2019

@Jona said:
    Just curious, when someone tells "I'll give you this" then don't give you nothing... how do you call it ?

Marketing.
    And i'd be very curious as to why the said person would give me anything for free, since nothing good is free and i won't accept it anyhow, knowing he has the upper hand in something that benefits him and could possibly and most likely screw me.

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • JonaJona Member

BTW, who cares if this was a free promo or whatever ?? The point is that we are talking about people trying to do business. I just wanted to share with the community the kind of business Scaleway do. I don't know about you, but I expect a VPS provider to comply with its claims from end to end. But hey, just wanted to share this practice with you, call it how you want, for me this is scammy... :)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • JonaJona Member

@Janevski Marketing ahahahahahaha good one. You call me when Amazon/IBM/Apple etc... do this kind of "Marketing". Thanks, you made my day ahahaha

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited July 2019

@Jona said:
    @Janevski Marketing ahahahahahaha good one. You call me when Amazon/IBM/Apple etc... do this kind of "Marketing". Thanks, you made my day ahahaha

If you try their 'free' tiers and God forbid get DDoSed you would pay with your kidneys.
    Anyhow, it's not a free credit, but them giving you space and time to move to their regularly expensive infrastructure, become dependent and adapt to their milking machine.

• JonaJona Member

Maybe I was not clear: I did not signup for their free credit... I actually signed up before seeing their offer. They just asked me for my credit card information which would give me $500 credit until September 1st. So I am not really looking for free tiers and all. But to provide my user base with reliable service, here is what I do look for: TRUST/RELIABILITY. Clearly I can't trust Scaleway. That was my point.

Thanked by 2Falzo Shados
  • I forget who I saw this same thing happen with, but it autorenewed at the beginning of the month for the 1st month. So I'll just say wait and see what happens on Aug 1st.

• JonaJona Member

@captainwasabi That was my first thought, this is why I asked the support before anything. They just told me it was until 1 August...

Thanked by 1captainwasabi
  • JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited July 2019

Jona said: I took a screenshot of the offer and kindly ask the support if that was not a mistake and if the offer would auto-renew

Can you share the screenshot here?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Oh wow make me hate online.net/scaleway even moar

Thanked by 1captainwasabi
  • uptimeuptime Member

Clickbait scam ...!

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

• JonaJona Member

I put the image on Imgur for you to see :) https://imgur.com/rAA4YnR

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

is that a screenshot or a potatoe ?!? :smiley:

(@jona I am trolling, :trollface: no major critique intended here)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

Janevski said: Marketing

No. It is not marketing, it is fraud tactics and it is forbidden (at least in EU, I guess in US also).
    When you advertise something, you have the obligation to fulfill your promises to your clients. If not, a client can sue the company.
    When you buy goods and services anywhere in the EU – from a website, a local shop or a seller outside your home country – EU law protects you against unfair commercial practices. The general rules can be found here:
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/unfair-treatment/unfair-commercial-practices/index_en.htm
    https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/consumers/unfair-commercial-practices-law/misleading-and-comparative-advertising-directive_en
    There are also several laws in every European country that takes further the protection of the consumer. In Greece, for example, there is the Consumer Advocate, a public lawyer that is acting when he receives a complaint from a consumer.

Marketing and advertising have limits. You cannot advertise 500€ credits valid until September 1st in order to give a company your cc details and then, without providing a valid reason, decline your offer - much more after receiving the details you asked.
    Period.

Janevski said: And i'd be very curious as to why the said person would give me anything for free, since nothing good is free and i won't accept it anyhow, knowing he has the upper hand in something that benefits him and could possibly and most likely screw me.

It's not for free. When a company gives out something for free, receiving back something: personal details, testing the infrastructure, gaining fame, paying for mouth to mouth advertising. So, the consumer is getting something he bought, just not for cash. It's like gmail. It's free of cash, but you have to give much more than credits. personal informations, buying habits, contact list and the potential to use their paid tier when the free limits are not good for you. Saying that, Google has obligation to fulfill what they described in their terms when you signed for their services. And when those terms are extreme, shady, not fair, the law still is on the consumer side.
    Gmail "marketing" tactics have being caused several times to pay huge fines to the EU.

• imokimok Member

Janevski said: Marketing

Good, time to sue them.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@uptime said:
    is that a screenshot or a potatoe ?!? :smiley:

I think it's imgur to blame for feeding you some low res crap, here's what they gave me: https://i.imgur.com/rAA4YnR.png

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

hrmmm yes, I see. Thanks.

and ... I see the wiggly words "offered" and "available"

Definitely would be looking at the fine print on this one, ammirite?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

deank said: Good, time to sue them.

It's not so hard as you think. Of course, not filling a lawsuit by himself, more of deposit a complain to the EU. This is completely free, it's online and it is really working.
    https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/?event=main.home2.show

Ah, reminds me of a certain dork who filed a complaint to EU after breaking rules.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

deank said: Ah, reminds me of a certain dork who filed a complaint to EU after breaking rules.

Even a killer can go to court to suit the victim claiming that he pissed him off. That does not mean that the court will decide in his favor. And that does not mean a consumer has no rights or he should not fill a complain because random people on the internet will maybe call him "dork"...

• uptimeuptime Member

inb4 EU complaint deposit scam ...

• @deank said:
    Good, time to sue them.

Agreed the Yeti lawyers are standing by.