Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not using wordpress.com for wordpress ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why not using wordpress.com for wordpress ?

Like i understand there no any cpu/ram limits they have, unlimited storage and can upload any plugin/theme for low price , is there any cons they have that people don't use them ?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

Too expensive.

And no written limit means they can cut you off for any made-up reasons at their leisure. Vague term is not a good thing.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

you can get better deals around for VPS or decent shared hosting and you will be able to install and run wordpress without any issues!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

iContact said: low price

That's the thing. It's not a low price.

You said "unlimited theme" and "upload any plugin/theme". Those requirements put you into the Business class, which is $25/month. Now, if you're some dentist's office with no IT support other than google, maybe having someone manage it is not a bad deal. But that isn't the typical LETizen.

I mean, I hope you're not all dentists.

All the packages below $25/month mean either limited theme, limited customization, and no plugins. Storage is also limited, though that may not be a big deal depending on how much media your blog has. Heck, even Google Analytics pushes you into Business class!

At least they don't meter bandwidth, unlike wpengine.com who starts at $25/month for a massive 50GB tranfer...then for a mere $115/mo you can get 200GB and if you really are a baller, $290/mo gets you 400GB.

Thanked by 4level6 ITLabs nfn taubin

For 25/mo, on LET, you can buy a large E-estate.

• VPS are cheaper and in my experience I spend more time dealing with SaaSS/shared hosting restrictions than with the actual WordPress. Setting up VPS from scratch is much less hassle than trying to adjust someone else's platform to your needs.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

In my personal experience Wordpress.com is used by 1) newbies or 2) people that are both stubborn and technically disinclined.

Once reasonable people understand that vastly superior alternatives exist they make the switch asap.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

As @raindog308 said, you can't do anything really useful without buying the business plan ($25/m billed yearly). And, even using the business plan, there are some incompatible plugins.

Also, note that (from their TOS):

1. Termination
      We may terminate your access to all or any part of our Services at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately.
    Thanked by 1level6
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

There's WP hosting deal on a well known deal aggregator site with a partially Japanese name. $ 69 /year for hosting. Been trying it out most of today. For lifetime (cringe!) You can also connect upto 30 sites for backup, updates, etc. and CDN. You can look it up or in true LET sprit, PM for AF link :-)

@ITLabs where did the pigeons migrate to?

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@vyas11 said:

Pigeons will come back. For now I'm following @level6's recommendation.

• level6level6 Member

@ITLabs said:

@vyas11 said:

Pigeons will come back. For now I'm following @level6's recommendation.

Smart move. Here's a typical Wordpress.com user -

Thanked by 3ITLabs uptime taubin
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited July 2019

ITLabs said: And, even using the business plan, there are some incompatible plugins.

Including any backup plugin!

Backup Plugins

If you are worried about losing data, rest assured that we take daily backups of your site through our in-house solution, Jetpack Backups. With a press of a button, you may restore or download a backup of your site from a specific point in time.

We do not allow any other backup plugins, we back up your site for you automatically, so any additional plugins are unneeded and may negatively impact your site’s performance with excessive resource usage.

"Trust us with your backups, and you may not make backups of your own."

GTFO.

Thanked by 3ITLabs level6 taubin

Can't let users handle backups. They are very good hostage.

• WordPress.com only good for its free tier.

• edited July 2019

People on this forum is not the demographic for managed WordPress hosting. We'd probably rather spend the extra time and effort to build something self-hosted and more "barebones" or with more control and then add the customization and management ourselves like using Jekyll, Grav, Hugo, etc.

For actual WordPress hosting, the .com sites restricts some capability of what we can get self-hosted and costs us a pretty dollar.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

ITLabs said: Also, note that (from their TOS):

That's like every hosting provider, e.g. DigitalOcean:

DigitalOcean reserves the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate your access to all or any part of the Services at any time, with or without notice, effective immediately, including but not limited to as a result of your violation of any of these Terms of Service or any law, or if you misuse system resources, such as, by employing programs that consume excessive network capacity, CPU cycles, or disk IO.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@perennate said:
    That's like every hosting provider, e.g. [DigitalOcean]

I see... but never felt comfortable with that.