Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is ChicagoVPS 'good'?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is ChicagoVPS 'good'?

GuineaGuinea Member
edited July 2019 in General

So I've been looking at ChicagoVPS for a while now, especially at their $2.50/month 512MB KVM plan (great deal, if they aren't overselling, that is) and im wondering if anyone here has had good/bad experiences with them, if anyone could share that would be great.

Thanked by 1JerryHou

Comments

• donlidonli Member

If you think $ 2.50/month for 512MB KVM is a "great deal", you must be new here.

Thanked by 2ITLabs Ouji
  • GuineaGuinea Member

@donli said:
    If you think $ 2.50/month for 512MB KVM is a "great deal", you must be new here.

Is there actually better deals out there? I would be pretty surprised (not including yearly)

• uptimeuptime Member

Joined June 27

hmmm ..

Visits 52

the math checks out.

I think they may be ready for the next level stuff.

Someone tell Thompson to prepare the diving bell!

• GuineaGuinea Member

@uptime said:

Joined June 27

hmmm ..

Visits 52

the math checks out.

Does visits mean how many times my profile has been viewed?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Even if they are "good" you can definitely find "great" elsewhere at that price

Thanked by 1uptime
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

ChicagoVPS started the race to the bottom in VPS offers. Make of that what you will...

Thanked by 1Guinea
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@Guinea said:

@uptime said:

Joined June 27

hmmm ..

Visits 52

the math checks out.

Does visits mean how many times my profile has been viewed?

Good question! I never considered that possibility, but ... I don't think so?

I always assumed it was something like number of threads read or something like that but not exactly. But I haven't been able to figure it out really. (So no, the math does not actually check out, lol.)

As for ChicagoVPS - they have a long history on this forum ... about which I actually know very little. (Mostly before my time here.)

Due to some of the personalities involved you'll really have to dig through quite a lot of noise if you want to find many search results regarding the service itself.

My best guess is that they're more or less okay these days but you can probably do better without trying too hard. Likewise you could possibly do worse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanked by 1Guinea
  • honestly was a cvps custumer for 5 ish years and all i can say is CURRENTLY they are not worth touching with a 5 foot pole and price wise you can do much better. Some companies worth looking into would be buyvm/letbox which would both get you better value for your money.

• I won a free ChicagoVPS recently, in the provider polls. Hadn't used them before. The server seems fine, although emails from the server keep getting marked as spam (I guess that's what you get with ColoCrossing IPs) and there's no native IPv6 so it's not exactly future-proof.

Guinea said: Is there actually better deals out there?

BuyVM is $2 per month for 512 MB RAM, 10 GB SSD space and unlimited transfer: https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/. You can sign up for stock alerts here: https://buyvmstock.com/.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Guinea said:
    So I've been looking at ChicagoVPS for a while now, especially at their $2.50/month 512MB KVM plan (great deal, if they aren't overselling, that is) and im wondering if anyone here has had good/bad experiences with them, if anyone could share that would be great.

1please try it for one month ,then you will know

• creepcreep Member

@Hugo20161216 said:

@Guinea said:

1please try it for one month ,then you will know

why are you begging him with "please"? This is suspicious.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

creep said: This is suspicious.

I am suspicious!

Who sent you?

Who are you working for?

EDIT2: I reckon he just may be in cahoots with @geek2009 ...!

• It must be the aliens

Thanked by 2uptime reikuzan
  • uptimeuptime Member

seems to me they've been fomenting seditious opinions!