Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Livestream infrastructure
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Livestream infrastructure

Hi guy
I'm pretty new as poster but was reading this forum from long time.
I'm French startup owner and we are currently developing our application.
Here is the description of our needs :

Our goal is to develop an application (in progress with development company) allowing users (ios and Android, later on website) to livestream from their mobiles a video. Those users of the app will be able to watch it through the application. This video will then be available in replay on the app for 72h.

Would you be able to help me on this subject

cloud infrastructure with auto scaling (for instance one live can have 1 viewer and another one can have 10000 viewers. So the infrastructure need to be able to growth automatically. We don't want fix infrastructure but agile.

hosting : the application will be worldwide so we need relay all around the world to avoid big latency. Maybe cloud flare or something like that?

licencing for encoding (I've seen red5 for instance but if you know other one like jw player etc , Woaza is too expensive for us because of payment on use). Don't forget that we will need API or sdk to integrate it in our app.

unlimited bandwidth usage (cloud must be unlimited in terms bandwidth usage, I think 10 gbps will be good but not sure, need your help)

If a provider / integrator is interests let's talk :)

Hope you will be able to help me.

Thank you for your help and wish you a pleasant day.
Tim

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

This is doable and there are qualified people here, but costs will be way outside the low budget stuff this site is organized around. Yes there are a number of CDN options you can use. ffmpeg (free) should be ok for most types of transcoding. It can be a little bit confusing to use (all command line tools) but once you get your pipeline figured out you shouldn't have to mess with it much. If you are serious and have budget for this, PM me your email address and I may be able to help find someone in France for you to work with. That is probably better than trying to coordinate so much custom development from overseas.

Do you know about OVH's startup program? https://www.ovh.com/fr/dlp/

• @Timidy said:
    10000 viewers.

>

I think 10 gbps will be good

10gbps/10000 viewers = 1mbit/s per viewer.

Have you WATCHED 1mbit/s videos?

And this is with just that ONE user on your platform having 10k viewers. With two(!!!!) users having 10k viewers, bandwidth per user halves.

• If you are to start from beginning and small, try to choose with something least dev for you and more ready product.

A few ready made solution for live streaming. Don't reinvent the wheel unless you have plenty of time and resources. You might be spending more than you think at the end.

• Oops . . you just joined LET. Hope you are serious.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Use a nice CDN for end user content delivery, it will simplify things quite a bit and enable you to focus more on the software aspect of your project without having to worry about scaling too much.

• TimidyTimidy Member

Hi guys thank you for your answer its precious!

Cdn is way over price for us.

We were thinking about 2k to 5k per month at the beginning for the infrastructure do you think we can have something serious with that?

Cdn were <20k per month without infrastructure...

You've already decide that video quality will be 480p.
    Thanks a lot guys.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Get a CDN with RTMP support, unless the typical 30-45 second latency of HLS is acceptable for your use case. This will become your biggest cost if you need truly global delivery. Try offseting some of it by recording the stream to a MP4 container directly on the user's device as it airs. The video is H264 probably anyway so no encoding required, only the MOOV atom needs to be moved. Let the device upload the video to your storage from where the CDN would then deliver it as VOD for the following 72h. No need for 10Gbps and no need for encoding servers/services.

• @Timidy said:

We were thinking about 2k to 5k per month at the beginning for the infrastructure do you think we can have something serious with that?

Thanks a lot guys.

2k to 3k per month is good start. Part of your infra is with them. I don't see your viewers are 24/7 and 10k concurrency is a factor.

@Timidy said:

Talk to BunnyCDN

• @PUSHR_Victor said:
    Get a CDN with RTMP support, unless the typical 30-45 second latency of HLS is acceptable for your use case. This will become your biggest cost if you need truly global delivery. Try offseting some of it by recording the stream to a MP4 container directly on the user's device as it airs. The video is H264 probably anyway so no encoding required, only the MOOV atom needs to be moved. Let the device upload the video to your storage from where the CDN would then deliver it as VOD for the following 72h. No need for 10Gbps and no need for encoding servers/services.

Nope webrtc one-way broadcasting is what you want if you want near 0 seconds delay. you can tweak hls to 5-10 sec delay. If you have really good network and powerful hardware even down to 3 sec but that is unlikely. There is also chunked cmaf but it's just hls tweaked to it's absolute limit.

• TimidyTimidy Member

Hi guys to be more specific

Livestream will be limited at 10 min max so are replays. Latency like 20 sec is not a problem people will only watch then comment.

We need something very elastic I mean we can have a livestream with 1 live streamer and 10 viewers and at the same time with 3 streamers and 100000k viewers then nothing for 20 minutes.

Thank you for your help

• TimidyTimidy Member

@mrclown said:

@Timidy said:

Thanks a lot guys.

2k to 3k per month is good start. Part of your infra is with them. I don't see your viewers are 24/7 and 10k concurrency is a factor.

Hi guys bunnycdn doesn't allow livestream (in their policy).. Do you have another one with this kind of price?

Thanks

• hzrhzr Member

Timidy said: Hi guys bunnycdn doesn't allow livestream (in their policy).. Do you have another one with this kind of price?

If you do not have a ton of money, use HLS and standard file serving.

@Timidy said:
    Hi guys bunnycdn doesn't allow livestream (in their policy).. Do you have another one with this kind of price?

Thanks

That's why I said talk to them :wink:
    They certainly do exceptions if your use case is legitimate.