Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does Aruba Cloud react to DMCAs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does Aruba Cloud react to DMCAs?

479555479555 Member

I have a VPS in UK1 with Aruba Cloud and I was considering to use it as a personal VPN. Does anyone know how they react to DMCAs? I've been looking on Google forever but I never found clear answers.

I first wanted to use SignaVPN, but unfortunately the project was killed and I don't want to pay for a VPN I'd use a couple times a month at most. Also, I like to selfhost when possible.

Do you think that using a VPN with an IP tied to someone's real name is unwise?

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

479555 said: Do you think that using a VPN with an IP tied to someone's real name is unwise?

Depends on whose real name it is I suppose ... :smiley:

anyway Imma gohead and suggest maybe a general rule of thumb for these sorts of "if you have to ask" type questions: When in doubt - don't.

Alternatively: It depends ...

I doubt Aruba really gives a flying fuck about lightweight Linux ISO downloading - but give them a good reason to care and they might just cut your nuts off.

Just my 3 cents.

Thanked by 2479555 lazyt
  • 479555479555 Member

Ok, let me rephrase then: does anyone know of someone who had issues with DMCAs with Aruba?

Also, how do you guys do? Does everybody use paid VPN services like PIA and so on?

• What happen to sigavpn?

• 479555479555 Member

@cybertech said:
    What happen to sigavpn?

None really knows, from what I read on Reddit the only guy behind the project kind of disappeared.

Now I tried to visit the subreddit to check but all the posts are gone.

• @479555 said:

@cybertech said:
    What happen to sigavpn?

None really knows, from what I read on Reddit the only guy behind the project kind of disappeared.

Man, he seemed quite prepared to get caught . Good cause, bad luck.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

Well. You didn't hear this from me - but I heard he just went on a long holiday! Before he disappeared, he mentioned something about retiring to somewhere in the Caribbean, maybe Aruba. Said they really just don't gaf about teh dmcas there, so that's where he really wanted to be ... But no one's seen or heard from him since, so ... I dunno.

• They respond very well that you will need a vacation to Aruba.

• jamujajamuja Member
    edited July 2019

@479555 said:
    Ok, let me rephrase then: does anyone know of someone who had issues with DMCAs with Aruba?

Also, how do you guys do? Does everybody use paid VPN services like PIA and so on?

I have downloaded Linux iso in the past via Aruba and never received dmca. But again I chose Aruba eastern Europe, never UK because UK and US is tight mpaa buddies.

Just choose any eastern Europe or even western EU server in Aruba Cloud and choose not fake Linux iso. You should be okay. If indeed you receive dmca they will tell you what to do, which is they ask you to check and remove the content from their server.
    Now running a public vpn or commercial vpn for Linux iso is different matter, because you as a company do this as your business then you are fair play to be sued. As a personal account, I think Aruba Cloud is safe as long as you respond well to them.

For any sane vpn providers out there the safest countries to choose is in Europe: Romania, Netherlands, France,and most eastern Europe. Fair amount of their Internet traffic is for downloading Linux iso, so dmca is rarely big deal

Thanked by 2uptime 479555
  • jamujajamuja Member

@479555 said:

@cybertech said:
    What happen to sigavpn?

That sigavpn guy funded his vpn from oil daily trading. I'm guessing either he's blown up his account and going back to his parents house or he is dirt rich and retired. He is still answering to my pm though. Last time I know he is in legal trouble with us over illegal activities whatever that means.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

jamuja said: legal trouble with us

as a "popular" saying here goes, you might beat the rap but you're not going to enjoy the ride ...

• @jamuja said:

@479555 said:

@cybertech said:
    What happen to sigavpn?

That sigavpn guy funded his vpn from oil daily trading. I'm guessing either he's blown up his account and going back to his parents house or he is dirt rich and retired. He is still answering to my pm though. Last time I know he is in legal trouble with us over illegal activities whatever that means.

From what he posted here it was funded by the $2 buy ins, I doubt believe either of those things and I think he just went broke and closed it down. One-time pricing isn't sustainable.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ