Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: Global or National VPS Providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted: Global or National VPS Providers

Hi, I am looking to create a global footprint of VPS systems.

But, I am fairly bandwidth price sensitive, trying to get close to $1/TB or lower at quantity.

It seems the smart way may be to find VPS providers with lots of POPs in US, EU, and the rest. (Asia,etc)
(So I don't have to deal with a dozen VPS providers to get global coverage, so
I end up with 2, 3 or 4 providers, ideally)

I am aware of the following providers, which seem like possible good fits, so far:
PhotonVPS (Psychz.net network)
FDCServers (Mostly or only Cogent????)

Are there others I should know about?

I really like datapacket.com, but they don't directly offer VPS, and I can't
find any large footprint VPS providers based on them. But shout out to @fhr in Prague.

I also am aware of a couple smaller, but apparently quality oriented outfits:

• FreeRangeHosting (lots of sold out's, sadly)
  • IonSwitch (small footprint, but seems interesting)

Thanks for any ideas and wisdom shared.

Thanked by 1FHR

Comments

• If you're looking for high bandwidth - perhaps @SmartHost can get you a nice deal. Lots of US locations and some in EU. Very nice and reliable.

Thanked by 1CameronE
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

@Zappie for Oceania region

New Zealand & South Africa: https://zappiehost.com/

Thanked by 2CameronE Zappie
  • SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@t0ny0 said:
    If you're looking for high bandwidth - perhaps @SmartHost can get you a nice deal. Lots of US locations and some in EU. Very nice and reliable.

I'm sure we can work something custom out...feel free to reach out Cameron...

Thanked by 1CameronE
  • williewillie Member

If you are trying to make a CDN, why not just use one?

Thanked by 1CameronE
  • sanvitsanvit Member

IonSwitch's network's fast my man :)

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

CameronE said: Are there others I should know about?

For North America and Europe - UltraVPS.eu, AlphaVPS.bg, and HostHatch all have a goodly number of locations. HostHatch may not be the best choice if you need fast support (at least not for the super-low priced deals - however they do take care of business and their systems themselves are superior potassium in my experience.)

as far as "global" goes - I don't know nothing about asia, boss ... but, might take a look at @HostDoc. I have good experience with their Dallas location, though I do have some lingering concerns about other - relatively minor - details still unresolved. Their current offerings in Singapore and Australia seem to work really well for some people - while there have previously been issues with certain of their nodes in Singapore - so as usual, YMMV - I get the feeling that if you're willing to work with them patiently (har har) - over a period of time they might turn out to be a pretty good deal. (Note that they're currently reselling on top of infrastructure of larger providers such as OVH, Hetzner, etc - but for purposes described in OP wrt not wanting to deal with a dozen different providers, they might help to scratch that particular itch.)

@willie said:
    If you are trying to make a CDN, why not just use one?

Good question - I'm guessing maybe because they're trying to make their own? (Who knows ...) In any case, for CDN, BunnyCDN is a really nice deal. (Edit: I see OP and @BunnySpeed have already been introduced.)

@CameronE any specific use cases that might help narrow down suitable providers?

For example - sometimes seems like BuyVM is the last left standing (that isn't totally sketchy) in terms of "anything legal" (including TOR) - as you may already know they offer service in Las Vegas, New York, and Luxembourg (if you can get one).

• imokimok Member

Virmach has multiple locations available

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @uptime said:

as far as "global" goes - I don't know nothing about asia, boss ... but, might take a look at @HostDoc. I have good experience with their Dallas location, though I do have some lingering concerns about other - relatively minor - details still unresolved. Their current offerings in Singapore and Australia seem to work really well for some people - while there have previously been issues with certain of their nodes in Singapore - so as usual, YMMV - I get the feeling that if you're willing to work with them patiently (har har) - over a period of time they might turn out to be a pretty good deal. (Note that they're currently reselling on top of infrastructure of larger providers such as OVH, Hetzner, etc - but for purposes described in OP wrt not wanting to deal with a dozen different providers, they might help to scratch that particular itch.)

Thanks @uptime
    With a small team and real life to contend with as well as business/locations/clients constantly expanding, minor issues are easy to overlook when you have a major issue that needs to be seen to.
    Dispite this, the wheels have already been put into motion to addressing this minor issue. But being a provider who operates off the infrastructure of larger DC's, it becomes a man in the middle job awaiting a response from the DC to be able to shed further light on possible causes of said issue.

Regarding SG, a lot of work has been put into revamping our service offerings there and I am pleased to say it has definately paid off. Performance is available on tap and I believe you will be hard pressed to find a client of ours in SG (many on LET) with a complaint regarding our new E5 (replaced both E3's) or our recently re-built i7 SG3 which was the main pain for many clients before.

We have earned our reputation from being patient with immediate support as well as exceptional hardware at exceptional prices.

@CameronE We currently have 8 global locations available with a total of 10 geographical locations.

• How much automation do you intend to do around provisioning?

If it's a lot, Providers with APIs are your best bet : Hetzner cloud should have you covered for EU for pennies/TB ( for handling EU 'baseload'. )

Linode Mumbai includes an incredible value amount of bandwidth considering the geographic location. Vultr also has a an api and a go library now.

If you just need a worldwide footprint for low latency http(s), bunnycdn is probably the way to go. (after taking in all the human and time costs, it doesn't seem expensive at all)