Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i run away?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should i run away?

My host suspended my kvm vps over a simple python compile while having 4 cores and 8gb ram.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Kindly inform him that the end is nigh and press a chargeback.

• failhostingsfailhostings Member
    edited July 2019

@deank said:

Well i asked what my 4 cores means in their book and what kind of processors they use in their nodes(as they hide via command the cpu model) all i got it was this Number of CPU cores (2.4GHz)*. Wtf?

• PLEASE NAME THAT PROVIDER SO WE COULD FUCK WITH THIS SHIT COMMENT.

• LeviLevi Member

@failhostings said:

@deank said:

Well i asked what my 4 cores means in their book and what kind of processors they use in their nodes(as they hide via command the cpu model) all i got it was this Number of CPU cores (2.4GHz)*. Wtf?

Do they have cpu selekter? If no, what kind of cpu did you expected? Pre selektor cpu's can't handle python script compile. Invoke command:

lsmod

Did you see 'potassium' module loaded?

edited July 2019

@alexvolk said:
    PLEASE NAME THAT PROVIDER SO WE COULD FUCK WITH THIS SHIT COMMENT.

https://www.masterdc.com/virtual-servers-vps/ choose them because nice prices and mainly retn network seems a mistake.

Thanked by 2uptime NanoG6
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Well, Python compiling is indeed extremely processor cycle eating, similar to feeding unicorns on a multi-core system.

• how much you pay?

• @cybertech said:
    how much you pay?

17 euro

Thanked by 1uptime
  • added to the list of why I hate python...

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

Run Forest, run...

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

Just ask them how much % of CPU are you allowed to use all the time, if they are fine with upto 50% just ask them to downgrade your CPU cores to 2 CPU Cores and use 100% of them all the time or figure out a way to use less CPU Resources

Don't know whole situation hence giving above suggestion

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@failhostings - can you give some idea of how long you were pegging the cpu? What was the 15-minute load average?

(for future reference, you may find it useful to install the simple atop utility (if nothing more than that) which will give a retrospective log of your resource use)

One of my favorite low-end providers gives some clear guidelines for what they consider to be the limits for reasonable (aka "fair share") cpu and i/o utilization - I tend to use these conservative limits as a good baseline for self-regulation on all cheap plans (unless otherwise specified, ie advertised as "dedicated core" or "unlimited cpu" etc):

https://virmach.com/terms-conditions/#tab1

• High CPU: Customer’s Service cannot burst to 95-100% usage for more than five (5) minutes and cannot average higher than 50% usage within any two (2) hour period. Packages advertised to include dedicated CPU, Services with the high CPU option, and any customized Service plans that include high CPU option may burst to 100% at all times.
    • High Load: Customer’s Service cannot have a 15-minute load average higher than the number of full logical cores assigned and cannot have a 1-day load average higher than 70% of the number of full logical cores assigned.
    • High I/O: Customer’s Service cannot average more than 80 IOPS within any two (2) hour period, cannot burst above 300MB/s disk write average for more than ten (10) minutes, cannot average more than 300 write operations per second for more than 1 hour, and cannot be above 20% average utilization within any six (6) hour period.

You might check with the host ahead of time if you expect to need a temporary "pass" from these sorts of limits - they may (or may not) be happy to accommodate you.

But generally speaking, the cheaper plans will be best for lighter duties, and if you need more than that, then you'll do better to upgrade (usually to a dedicated server, or at least a dedicated vcore). That said, some hosts and plans are better suited to more strenuous exercise than others - but when in doubt, maybe just ask first to avoid an agonizing reappraisal of your life decisions later ...

And if you absolutely must complete an arduous task on a weaker allotment of resources, there are ways to self-regulate your processes (even as crude as just sending a signal to put a process to sleep for a while every so often) - so you can get your stuff done over a longer period of time without impacting your neighbors and getting your service suspended. That can sometimes be a reasonable way to make good use of a low-end deal.

Thanked by 3level6 FAT32 donli
  • laobanlaoban Member

@failhostings
    maybe, because they just wanted to match it with your username? :-D

How long have you been there? If possible, request refund before running away.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

I'm assuming per month?

Yeah, no ... run like the wind!

EDIT2:

consider getting a Hetzner auction server or even a Kimsufi (etc) if you want to exercise the cpu a lot though. Or look to hourly-billed "compute intensive" products (such as offered by Lunanode and many others) when you need a burst of sheer grunt.

Thanked by 2lazyt Hetzner_OL
  • @failhostings said:

@cybertech said:
    how much you pay?

17 euro

U could possibly do more for less with @HostDoc

• edfoxedfox Member

@deank said:

refound is the last opention

Thanked by 2uptime Falzo
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Chargeback costs them far more.

• There are more tolerant hosts. This one probly assumes that everyone is running a static website.

If you paid for so much resources, you should get to use them for few hours at a time.

Just switch host and remember to chargeback too. Sounds like a shit tier provider. Why suspend when you can just cap the cpu usage.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

cybertech said: U could possibly do more for less with @HostDoc

@HostDoc may or may not be suitable (they do have a "dedicated core" offer in Arizona) - otherwise they may allow up to an hour a day of high CPU utilization. They're easy to communicate with and often offer superior potassium at low prices, occasionally with a few rough edges that hopefully will get smoothed to perfection at some point (from my experience so far sometimes can be more of a work-in-progress situation.)

You might do well to take a close look at Wishosting (@exception0x876) for affordable "unlimited" (still, shared) cpu deals with beaucoup ram. They've been running solid low-end systems for a long time, and handle their business with a minimum of BS as far as I can tell (so would hope that their customers know to do the same. That means you @failhostings.) Don't expect them to hold your hand and change your diaper - and they may take a few days to handle some tickets - but they will take good care of you.

Plenty other options but definitely look before you leap (and ask about and/or check expectations for extended heavy use of shared resources if that's what you need.)

edited July 2019

@stefeman said:
    There are more tolerant hosts. This one probly assumes that everyone is running a static website.

If you paid for so much resources, you should get to use them for few hours at a time.

Just switch host and remember to chargeback too. Sounds like a shit tier provider. Why suspend when you can just cap the cpu usage.

Well I consider the price to be okay for 4 cores 8gb ram 80gb hdd 1gbs unlimited bw and 50% retn routing the problem is that they prolly aren't fair about their cores > @uptime said:

cybertech said: U could possibly do more for less with @HostDoc

@HostDoc may or may not be suitable (they do have a "dedicated core" offer in Arizona) - otherwise they may allow up to an hour a day of high CPU utilization. They're easy to communicate with and often offer superior potassium at low prices, occasionally with a few rough edges that hopefully will get smoothed to perfection at some point (from my experience so far sometimes can be more of a work-in-progress situation.)

You might do well to take a close look at Wishosting (@exception0x876) for affordable "unlimited" (still, shared) cpu deals with beaucoup ram. They've been running solid low-end systems for a long time, and handle their business with a minimum of BS as far as I can tell (so would hope that their customers know to do the same. That means you @failhostings.) Don't expect them to hold your hand and change your diaper - and they may take a few days to handle some tickets - but they will take good care of you.

Plenty other options but definitely look before you leap (and ask about and/or check expectations for extended heavy use of shared resources if that's what you need.)

Well I'm looking to change ship but it's verry hard due my requirement with retn even If I know i can get a better price ... And yes I do look carefully at reviews before choosing a host.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

You need a cheap dedicated server not a vps.

/thread.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

LTniger said: Did you see 'potassium' module loaded?

• @raindog308 said:

Could you explain the joke, I don't get it fully. Is it because potassium are needed as electrolyte for running? But I was thinking since I don't know Linux well it is is a Linux inside joke or something?

• donlidonli Member

@failhostings said:

Could you explain the joke, I don't get it fully. Is it because potassium are needed as electrolyte for running? But I was thinking since I don't know Linux well it is is a Linux inside joke or something?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@failhostings said:
    My host suspended my kvm vps over a simple python compile while having 4 cores and 8gb ram.

How many pythons were you trying to compile?

Thanked by 2Falzo failhostings
  • LeviLevi Member

@angstrom said:

@failhostings said:

How many pythons were you trying to compile?

Probably all of them. When you try to compile half of them than they compile without a problem.

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

failhostings said: My host suspended my kvm vps over a simple python compile while having 4 cores and 8gb ram.

You may wish to investigate the 'nice' command, which will give the command a lower priority. Not sure if that'd help here or not.

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • LeviLevi Member

@raindog308 said:

Perfect kernel.

• Try compiling with nice and you'll be the most courteous neighbour of the node.

Thanked by 1failhostings