Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner for US traffic, anybody using?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner for US traffic, anybody using?

Is anybody here using Hetzner for US traffic? If so I wonder how you deal with ping issues and if you're satisfied with overall network speed.
I can ping my server in NY from Hetzner and get about 80ms but for other locations, it's over 120 - 150ms.

Comments

• donlidonli Member

What are you using it for ?

Website (static content?)

Game server ?

or ?

• ckissickissi Member

@donli said:
    What are you using it for ?

Website (static content?)

Game server ?

or ?

I would like to host LEMP stack.

• edited July 2019

Bunnycdn. Add it to your sites, and things will be blazingly fast, so no more 180ms latencies.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@ckissi said:
    Is anybody here using Hetzner for US traffic?

I believe the https://hostballs.com forum is hosted on Hetzner - maybe drop by there and ask about their experience with US traffic.

The latency for sticker delivery to west coast USA may be of particular concern - seems packet routing may involve several round trips before reaching final destination. (j/k, a private joke!)

• ckissickissi Member

@uptime said:

@ckissi said:
    Is anybody here using Hetzner for US traffic?

I believe the https://hostballs.com forum is hosted on Hetzner - maybe drop by there and ask about their experience with US traffic.

The latency for sticker delivery to west coast USA may be of particular concern - seems packet routing may involve several round trips before reaching final destination. (j/k, a private joke!)

Thank you for the tip! I'll try to ask there too.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • williewillie Member

Yes I use it, an auction dedi mostly as a storage and computation server. Latency from west US is noticable but tolerable for interaction using ssh. I also seem to get max transfer speed of around 50Mbit/sec per connection, though I can get more total transfer by having several connections active at once.

I frankly wouldn't recommend something that far away for a normal web site if you care about speed. A cdn can help for static assets but not so much for dynamic pages. Use something closer to your audience.

• Light speed matters.

East <=> West is about 80ms

East <=> Hetzner is about 90ms

So latency adds up when you're serving middle / west users.

But TBH 170ms latency on loading website is nothing. (OK, it's something, but not that big of a deal if bandwidth is great.) You can use a CDN service to cache your static files globally. CF, bunny, or host-your-self-CDN.

• I wouldn't recommend it. It's the only reason I don't use Hetzner. Not gonna have a fun time.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

Technik in der unsere Welt!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • williewillie Member

msg7086 said: But TBH 170ms latency on loading website is nothing.

It's not just latency, any transfers are likely to start out quite slow. I mentioned earlier I got xfer speed in the 40 mbit range, which is low to begin with, but I usually transfer large files (many mbytes). Transfer only reaches 40 mbit when it has been going on for a while. It starts out much slower. I ran a pyjupiter notebook on a hetzner VM a few times (browser in the US) and it was kind of painful because of the latency and blurpy speed. It's much better with a more nearby machine.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

uptime said: The latency for sticker delivery to west coast USA may be of particular concern - seems packet routing may involve several round trips before reaching final destination. (j/k, a private joke!)

:smiley:

@ckissi Why don't you just test it out yourself :smile: We do grant our customers the right of withdrawal from their contract within the first 14 days so should you not be satisfied with latency and network speed, you can just withdraw from the contract without giving a reason. (See point 11 in our AGBs)

• williewillie Member

Good point. Even simpler is spin up an hourly cloud server.

• ckissickissi Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

uptime said: The latency for sticker delivery to west coast USA may be of particular concern - seems packet routing may involve several round trips before reaching final destination. (j/k, a private joke!)

:smiley:

@ckissi Why don't you just test it out yourself :smile: We do grant our customers the right of withdrawal from their contract within the first 14 days so should you not be satisfied with latency and network speed, you can just withdraw from the contract without giving a reason. (See point 11 in our AGBs)

I've with you for years already and really love your service. I just never hosted sites that are primarily for US audience.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

Hetzner_OL said: Why don't you just test it out yourself :smile:

just to add to this discussion - and to put on my "taking the question literally rather than rhetorically" dunce cap for a minute ...

so (in case it might help Hetzner's marketing, let's say :))

some possible responses to the literal "why not just test it" question might involve:

1) if I don't really know what I'm doing (and I seldom do) - it might be difficult for me to test some things ahead of time, especially involving real, live traffic

2) the cost for a testing server may be the least of my concerns, compared to extra development time invested, so-called "opportunity costs" (I'm losing millions!) and so forth

3) I might like to compare notes with the low-end experts here ... maybe just for the lulz, but quite possibly I'll learn a bit in the process (see item number 1 above).

4) it might give a wee window of opportunity to encourage Hetzner to carefully consider their market potential in North America ... Hetzner Dallas could be quite interesting for example. (Or maybe even Miami - which might be better for South America, while still more-or-less acceptable for western US/Canada and quite decent for east coast and even for western Europe - and perhaps even a nice place for a company vacation business trip as well).

EDIT2: I understand that as a rule Hetzner will neither confirm nor deny any plans, schemes, or devisings with regards to future developments. That's okay. (Just do it!)

Anyhoo ... I know it was a rhetorical question to remind about the 14-day evaluation possibility, which is a great feature. And of course there's much to be said for doing one's own research and real-world testing as well.

Just hoping to add some balance and/or literal-mindedness - and maybe also to encourage a bit more discussion here about making good use of Hetzner services, even from the wild wild western parts of North America. (For example, the Hetzner-hosted hostballs forum seems to work just fine for me even way out here on the west coast, despite being a fairly feature-rich interface.)

Thanked by 2ITLabs Hetzner_OL
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

I never hung around hostballs much partly because it is so slow. LET is much faster. I figured it was because of the software though, not the ping latency, since I think it's cached by cloudflare anyway.

For an even faster forum, try news.ycombinator.com which has far less bloaty software than either. For a fast news site, try lite.cnn.io. Now that's UI design ;).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

@willie said:

msg7086 said: But TBH 170ms latency on loading website is nothing.

It's not just latency, any transfers are likely to start out quite slow. I mentioned earlier I got xfer speed in the 40 mbit range, which is low to begin with, but I usually transfer large files (many mbytes). Transfer only reaches 40 mbit when it has been going on for a while. It starts out much slower. I ran a pyjupiter notebook on a hetzner VM a few times (browser in the US) and it was kind of painful because of the latency and blurpy speed. It's much better with a more nearby machine.

I haven't seen the same 'slow-start' performance for OVH across the Atlantic, though, which suggests that there's something else going on as well.

willie said: For an even faster forum, try news.ycombinator.com which has far less bloaty software than either. For a fast news site, try lite.cnn.io. Now that's UI design ;).

If you're in the EU, try https://eu.usatoday.com/ instead. Just as fast as CNN Lite, but with a design from this decade!

(Won't work if you're not in the EU, you'll just get shunted off to their tracker-laden horrible regular website.)

Edit: A screenshot for the curious:

Thanked by 1uptime
  • williewillie Member

joepie91 said: If you're in the EU, try https://eu.usatoday.com/ instead. Just as fast as CNN Lite, but with a design from this decade!

Sounds ok but I prefer CNN Lite's futuristic 22nd century design, optimized for post-Javascript low bit rate interplanetary networks ;).

• donlidonli Member

@willie said:

optimized for post-Javascript low bit rate interplanetary networks ;).

That's called a "RSS feed".

Thanked by 1uptime