Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent VPS hosters that allow to change PTR record by myself - via my dashboard?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent VPS hosters that allow to change PTR record by myself - via my dashboard?

Except Vultr, what else are these?

Comments

• BuyVM

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

Isn't everyone offering this?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • donlidonli Member

@intovps said:

No, there are still some places you need to file a ticket for that.

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

@donli said:

@intovps said:

and there's reason for that actually :)

• How often are you changing PTR records that you need it self-service? I've only changed it once, maybe twice for repurposing otherwise it stays pretty static for me.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

daxterfellowes said: How often are you changing PTR records that you need it self-service? I've only changed it once, maybe twice for repurposing otherwise it stays pretty static for me.

But if I want it changed, it's because I'm doing something and want to check it off my list immediately...a ticket could take hours. I agree, it's not something you change every day, but convenience is always attractive.

Thanked by 1intovps
  • LimpanLimpan Member
    edited July 2019

Hetzner

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

DigitalOcean
    Netcup

Thanked by 1Limpan
  • BopieBopie Member

@intovps said:

Not everyone, like my self and my company its cheaper for us to sometimes lease hardware and use ip space of the DC so we can't have dns delagated, saying that I am moving away leasing ip space from a dc so it's also something I will be offering soon :D

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@Bopie said:

@intovps said:

Not everyone, like my self and my company its cheaper for us to sometimes lease hardware and use ip space of the DC so we can't have dns delagated, saying that I am moving away leasing ip space from a dc so it's also something I will be offering soon :D

Even if you are leasing IP from DC, just ask them to create NS record for your name servers instead of PTR record, that should do the job even for smaller subnets like /29

We have our own IP Space but we even take some IP from DC all we ask is to create NS records and it works just fine, you can even do it via CNAME records, our clients can then easily manage PTR Records via solusVM

• I was pleased to be able to do this myself on InceptionHosting 's solusvm last week,
    after I took advantage of their free DirectAdmin license for UK location KVMs.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

We've got this enabled/available as well (https://crowncloud.net/) :)

• @estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

there's a reason for everything on the planet

• kankandikankandi Member
    edited July 2019

@ITLabs said:

DigitalOcean
    Netcup

DigitalOcean allows you to edit a PTR record by youself? are you certain?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2019

+1 BuyVM

In my experience the better hosts with their own ASN and own IP range often have this feature, while the hosts that lease IPs and don't have their own ASN don't.

@daxterfellowes said:
    How often are you changing PTR records that you need it self-service? I've only changed it once, maybe twice for repurposing otherwise it stays pretty static for me.

I've got a different PTR on each IPv6 address I'm using... That'd be quite a few support tickets with a host that doesn't have self-service PTR updates.

kankandi said: DigitalOcean allows you to edit a PTR record by youself? are you certain?

DigitalOcean are a bit different, they automatically set it based on the hostname you enter in their control panel. AFAIK there's no way to set it to something else.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • edfoxedfox Member

Contabo does it

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

u don't know? well, sometimes happens...

@estnoc said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

In that case, I'm just going to assume that you're talking shit. There's no reason to respond like that otherwise.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

Probably to discourage (though not to prohibit) the use of mail servers. If a ticket needs to be opened, it's an additional step that needs to be taken by the client, and it also acts as a signal to the provider that the client most likely intends to run a mail server.

@angstrom said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

Probably to discourage (though not to prohibit) the use of mail servers. If a ticket needs to be opened, it's an additional step that needs to be taken by the client, and it also acts as a signal to the provider that the client most likely intends to run a mail server.

Seems like that's accomplished with much less collateral damage by just blocking outbound port 25 until a ticket is filed, like a number of providers do.

(I have some additional thoughts on whether discouraging mail servers is a good thing or not in the first place, but that's a discussion for another thread.)

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@joepie91 said:

@angstrom said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

Seems like that's accomplished with much less collateral damage by just blocking outbound port 25 until a ticket is filed, like a number of providers do.

Why "much less collateral damage"?

Blocking port 25 strikes me (intuitively) as an even bigger discouragement than not allowing the client to set PTR.

(I have some additional thoughts on whether discouraging mail servers is a good thing or not in the first place, but that's a discussion for another thread.)

I would say that it's not such a good thing.

Thanked by 1vimalware

angstrom said: Why "much less collateral damage"?

Blocking port 25 strikes me (intuitively) as an even bigger discouragement than not allowing the client to set PTR.

Because while it's a bigger discouragement, blocking port 25 only affects e-mail, and not other services. PTRs are relevant for much more than just e-mail.

angstrom said: I would say that it's not such a good thing.

We agree on that, then :)

Thanked by 1angstrom

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

In that case, I'm just going to assume that you're talking shit. There's no reason to respond like that otherwise.

there is no reason for asking such ridiculous question in the first place :) you have provider tag and I automatically assumed you are familiar with the hosting industry and how the drill goes with those port 25 and rdns things. but I realized now that it wasn't the case with you. sorry.

@angstrom said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

@joepie91 @angstrom answered on my behalf :)

@estnoc said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

there is no reason for asking such ridiculous question in the first place :) you have provider tag and I automatically assumed you are familiar with the hosting industry and how the drill goes with those port 25 and rdns things. but I realized now that it wasn't the case with you. sorry.

I'm not actually a hosting provider, but even if I were, your response was a shitty one.

When somebody asks you "why", they're asking because they want to hear the answer. Either because they don't know, or - like was the case here - because they want to verify whether it's some popular-but-wrong reason before possibly undeservedly going off on you (like "preventing phishing" in the case of PTR records, which is much better solved via A record validation, but still often named as a reason).

There is literally not a single situation in which your response would have been a useful one, all it does is potentially make people feel bad or get them angry. Sometimes people just don't know particular things for some reason you're not aware of, sometimes they just want to understand better what your particular reason for a decision is.

TL;DR: Instead of being judgmental about people's questions and being an ass about it, just either answer or ignore the question. When you call a question "ridiculous", all that tells me is that you're an asshole.

• launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

Hey, we allow this in our control panel without the need to file a ticket.

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

I'm not actually a hosting provider, but even if I were, your response was a shitty one.

When somebody asks you "why", they're asking because they want to hear the answer. Either because they don't know, or - like was the case here - because they want to verify whether it's some popular-but-wrong reason before possibly undeservedly going off on you (like "preventing phishing" in the case of PTR records, which is much better solved via A record validation, but still often named as a reason).

There is literally not a single situation in which your response would have been a useful one, all it does is potentially make people feel bad or get them angry. Sometimes people just don't know particular things for some reason you're not aware of, sometimes they just want to understand better what your particular reason for a decision is.

TL;DR: Instead of being judgmental about people's questions and being an ass about it, just either answer or ignore the question. When you call a question "ridiculous", all that tells me is that you're an asshole.

@joepie91 do you have mirror at home or something? take a look and you'll see the biggestone there :) if you are seeking for the place and time to shine like a diamond, please search someone else on whos expense you can shine ok? matter of a fact is, that everyone whos having slightest knowledge about the hosting industry, knows how those ptrs and things are abused. but not you :)

@estnoc said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@joepie91 said:

@estnoc said:

@donli said:

@intovps said:

Which is?

@joepie91 do you have mirror at home or something? take a look and you'll see the biggestone there :) if you are seeking for the place and time to shine like a diamond, please search someone else on whos expense you can shine ok? matter of a fact is, that everyone whos having slightest knowledge about the hosting industry, knows how those ptrs and things are abused. but not you :)

Good job failing to understand literally anything of what I just told you.