Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Serial console/ Oracle java serial console client.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Serial console/ Oracle java serial console client.

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Have any providers found a work around for the solusvm serial console issue that has come with the latest java release?

I opened a ticket with soluslabs and even pointed out a work around/fix that oracle have put on their blog but they just closed the ticket without replying.

Any luck else where?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

No luck here and I did try. Lately nobody complained though, but a week ago were multiple tickets.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said:
    No luck here and I did try. Lately nobody complained though, but a week ago were multiple tickets.

The lowendspirit service pretty much depends on it for people who dont have IPv6 so its really screwed me over, I think the most annoying thing was the fact that I gave them a potential work around and said waiting for the next java release (end jan 2014) is simply not a solution after they told me that is what they are waiting for essentially. but they just closed the ticket at that point without responding.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited November 2013

Yes, there's a solution. You have to sign your jar's now. It has to be tied to your website. At least, that's how I understand the situation to be.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    The lowendspirit service pretty much depends on it for people who dont have IPv6 so its really screwed me over, I think the most annoying thing was the fact that I gave them a potential work around and said waiting for the next java release (end jan 2014) is simply not a solution after they told me that is what they are waiting for essentially. but they just closed the ticket at that point without responding.

I never used it actually, connected from a RamNode box with ipv6 to it =)

totallyusellesinformation

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Rallias said:
    Yes, there's a solution. You have to sign your jar's now. It has to be tied to your website. At least, that's how I understand the situation to be.

So, you should be able to just self-sign the JAR and replace it wherever it's located?

• @perennate said:
    So, you should be able to just self-sign the JAR and replace it wherever it's located?

It has to be a trusted CA.

• Did anyone find a workaround to this? is there anything i can do client side?

• This has been on the agenda for a while. The last two Java updates have warned of this coming. I think SolusVM should switch to NoVNC

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

I would really like them to move away from java. In general java has always been a pain in the rear.

Thanked by 3Mark_R switsys Andri
  • ironhideironhide Member
    edited December 2013

Though not really a workaround for Java, however in Solus Serial console panel you can "View Connection Settings" after creating a session. And using those details you can login from your terminal just just like regular SSH session. You do not need this java applet for connecting anyway

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@ironhide said:
    Though not really a workaround for Java, however in Solus Serial console panel you can "View Connection Settings" after creating a session. And using those details you can login from your terminal just just like regular SSH session. You do not need this java applet for connecting anyway

Yes, this is often overlooked.

Nick_A said: Yes, this is often overlooked.

As well as the fact that other people make java plugins too and those happen to work.
    I am using iced tea on both windows and linux, no problem with it.

• SreeSree Member
    edited December 2013

try this.. :)

In windows go to control panel > java > settings > uncheck the setting "Keep temporary files on my computer"

• @Sree said:
    try this.. :)

In windows go to control panel > java > settings > uncheck the setting "Keep temporary files on my computer"

I've tried that before, didn't help. The solution for me was to revert to an earlier version of Java, quite annoying.

• i always copy link and direct port that given before serial console get connected -

• the easy ways is
    copy paste ur host, user and pass console to putty

• ayik said: the easy ways is copy paste ur host, user and pass console to putty

from View Connection Settings Serial Console Window

• I'm using a VNC client to connect instead of going through the panel.

• I have a lot of experience with Java so I was able to fix it easily. All you need to do is extract the jars and repack them and then sign it using your own certificate. There was an issue where the hashes of the jars didn't match up with the manifest and the certificate had expired. If you guys need it, I can post my repacked and signed jars.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • Yeah our latest OnApp upgrade brought a HTML 5 console :)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@soluslabs @solus @solusvm Any update?

SolusVM will fix this or we need to buy a Java Code Signing Certificate?

• The problem with connecting using putty or similar is that if your ISP does not have ipv6 then it will not work for LowEndSpirit. I think that is originally why Ant was asking for advice on this matter. If the console worked then you could use it connect to your box regardless of ipv6 or not.

I might have to do a write up for LowEndGuide and the Spirit Forum on how to do this through a tunnel for people who do not know how. Maybe include some easy to follow pics and things.

• SolusVM can't be arsed fixing it, they close tickets if you ask about it (for about a year now.) The solutions that any host can take upon themselves to do are:

1) Install NOVNC , it's really not that hard to do. You now have HTML5 VNC, enjoy.

2) Continue bitching to Solus, even though they refuse to fix it.

3) Repack and sign the jar yourself, if you have a real certificate this isn't a problem for most people, but Java is still terrible for VNC...

We took option 4 in this case, to drop the skiddy software (SolusVM, and soon to be WHMCS) and move on to real software.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@AuroraZ said:
    The problem with connecting using putty or similar is that if your ISP does not have ipv6 then it will not work for LowEndSpirit. I think that is originally why Ant was asking for advice on this matter. If the console worked then you could use it connect to your box regardless of ipv6 or not.

I might have to do a write up for LowEndGuide and the Spirit Forum on how to do this through a tunnel for people who do not know how. Maybe include some easy to follow pics and things.

Please do write something, remember that you could get a free vps for the work you do.

• I thought Solus had made some headway on this, I saw this in the latest release notes:

Changed the way the client area serial console works for Xen PV and OpenVZ. The client is now presented with instructions on how to use it. The Java applet is now optional but still available.

http://docs.solusvm.com/release_versions_beta#revision_1_11_january_2014

I don't know if any hosts are using Beta but hopefully a fix is on the way...

Rather, a workaround...

• Just updated to SolusVM beta 1.15.00 and the console is still broken. Lol

• Well looking into it now,

They Now tell the user to connect via ssh or putty with the console credentials now.

or they can choose java.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@HardCloud said:
    SolusVM can't be arsed fixing it, they close tickets if you ask about it (for about a year now.) The solutions that any host can take upon themselves to do are:

1) Install NOVNC , it's really not that hard to do. You now have HTML5 VNC, enjoy.

2) Continue bitching to Solus, even though they refuse to fix it.

3) Repack and sign the jar yourself, if you have a real certificate this isn't a problem for most people, but Java is still terrible for VNC...

We took option 4 in this case, to drop the skiddy software (SolusVM, and soon to be WHMCS) and move on to real software.

I like the sound of option 3, sadly I have no idea how to do that.

• Switch to a control panel that works and has developers that actually listen to their clients. ;)