Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap storage KVM Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap storage KVM Europe

tehdartherertehdartherer Member
edited July 2019 in Requests

I saw a few offers here about large storage KVMs, but I need even more storage. To summarize:

• 2+ cores
  • 2+ GB RAM
  • 6+ TB (RAID) storage
  • Some TB of BW
  • 1 Gbps uplink

I don't need a dedicated ipv4, NAT or ipv6 only would be fine for me. Most of the data will just sit there (probably) forever, but sometimes I will be searching/replacing/converting a few things.
Normally I would go for a Hetzner dedi, but getting 6 TB with raid will cost at least 35 € incl VAT. Since I don't need all that power and it will be idling most of the time anyway, I wonder if one could get a better offer.

Comments

• edited July 2019

SoYouStart ARM storage boxes are ridiculously cheap, but they prolly lack the processing power you need and RAID.

Not sure what you need exactly but if it will be sitting 90% of the time consider a $5/mo VPS plus GSuite.

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    SoYouStart ARM storage boxes are ridiculously cheap, but they prolly lack the processing power you need and RAID.

Not sure what you need exactly but if it will be sitting 90% of the time consider a $5/mo VPS plus GSuite.

+1 for this suggestion

• Shot2Shot2 Member

The SyS ARM line is to be discontinued, and they haven't been in stock for weeks now. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.

• williewillie Member

€22/m 5TB Hetzner Storagebox or €40/m 10TB. Spin up an hourly cloud vps when you want to access it.

• Hetzner auction server?

• ryotsuryotsu Member

It won't be any less than 34 EUR a month, if you like NL, go with Worldstream.nl

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

JerryHou said: Hetzner auction server?

Outside of price range. Look at @cociu offer though:

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2019

For just 6TB, it will be hard to get lower than 4.25 Eur/TB

For valuable data that's just going to sit there, Hetzner 10TB storageBox (backed by ZFS) seems like the peace-of-mind option. I doubt you can beat their infrastructure's bitrot factor.

Plus you can mount any excess space via SMB to hetzner hosts.

@AlexBarakov maybe offer a custom 7TB kvm?

Thanked by 2MikePT uptime
  • williewillie Member

vimalware said: Hetzner 10TB storageBox (backed by ZFS)

Is it known that SB uses ZFS? I hadn't heard that before. It's interesting.

For just 6TB, it will be hard to get lower than 4.25 Eur/TB

Cociu's 6TB plan is 3.15 euro/TB on promo. It's a brand new product though. Might be best to wait for some user reports.

Cheap storage has been appearing all over recently. I need to reorganize my crap.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Check @cociu's plans. Its a brand new service, KVM based.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

MikePT said: Its a brand new service, KVM based.

would suggest maybe best to approach the @cociu stuff more as experimental and/or for entertainment purposes only until it's had a reasonable amount of exercise. It's probably fine - and it might make sense to grab the early-adopter pricing while it lasts.

But I wouldn't want to rely too heavily on it - seems like a surefire recipe for stress and the proverbial agonizing reappraisal should there be any glitch in that matrix ...

EDIT2:

Have you checked ultraVPS.eu ? If a 6-month pre-payment is an option for you their "Storage Special 2" gives 2 vcores, 2 GB ram, and 2 TB for €10 per month (including 19% VAT). I don't know if they can stack plans together into a larger system. Anyway would save a little bit compared to the €35 you mentioned re the auction server.

CrownCloud is another possibility (in Frankfurt) at around the same price, month-to-month payment possible but some discount for semi-annual - and they can stack plans together.

Otherwise, +1 for the Hetzner storage box (especially regarding data replication for that product).

• williewillie Member

I've had a 1TB OpenVZ with Cociu for the past couple years. There was bad network congestion early on because of the flood of orders when the product was introduced, but that is long since fixed, and the storage itself has always worked fine. No idea about the new KVM product.

Thanked by 1uptime