Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers that offer "Snapshots", "Firewall" and multiple locations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers that offer "Snapshots", "Firewall" and multiple locations

sureiamsureiam Member
edited July 2019 in General

As the title states I'd like to compile a list of providers that provide snapshots and their own software firewalls. Of course you should still harden a server and not depend on that firewall but it's a nice additional feature.

I know of:

Linode
Digital ocean
Vultr
Hetzner Maybe?

Comments

• pikepike Veteran

Hetzner.

• emghemgh Member

I don't know but check if Upcloud.

• Great pricing on instances and reasonable fees for snap shop. Toronto and Montreal are great locations for NA. But hopefully you consider state side eventually. :)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Lightsail from Amazon

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

At Cloudjiffy, we offer Cloning (live snapshots which start a similar environment - can be stopped and kept at no charge upto 20GB space).

Firewalls are pre-configured but also available through the UI.

Try for free - https://cloudjiffy.com/

We have Pune, India and Los Angeles, USA. Frankfurt, Germany is going live next week.

Thanked by 2sureiam PrestigeWS
  • fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited July 2019

AWS Lightsail does basic firewalling (by port, not as comprehensive as whats available in EC2 security groups). And they have snapshot support. We're quite happy with Lightsail for non-production and non CPU bound payloads, although we treat them as ephemeral. And of course multiple locations.

• Transip.nl does them both

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited July 2019

We can setup servers in The Netherlands, Germany and France.

We offer backup snapshots and you can set firewall rules via our panel.

https://finalhosting.nl/products/vps

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • LFCVPS hasn't been around here in a while but they are a great VPS company that offers multiple realtime snapshots that provide no downtime.

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

IntoVPS do it to IIRC

Thanked by 2sureiam intovps
  • Excellent! This is what reviews should be like. I lol when someone puts out a review on LET thinking they did such a great job with their unique and unrelatable bench results and it's actually quite useless and unhelpful.

Yours are fantastic. Really, really great job.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @fpmagic said:
    AWS Lightsail does basic firewalling (by port, not as comprehensive as whats available in EC2 security groups). And they have snapshot support. We're quite happy with Lightsail for non-production and non CPU bound payloads, although we treat them as ephemeral. And of course multiple locations.

I've heard of LightSail but haven't tried it yet. It confuses me as to what they are trying to accomplish vs their EC2 setup. Also doesn't look like LightSail is billed hourly but monthly. With that said of course Amazon is a powerhouse to consider.

I'm really digging this list though. It's a create feature to take SnapShots and to set firewall rules easily. It's nice to see more providers are starting to offer it.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@sureiam said:
    I've heard of LightSail but haven't tried it yet. It confuses me as to what they are trying to accomplish vs their EC2 setup. Also doesn't look like LightSail is billed hourly but monthly. With that said of course Amazon is a powerhouse to consider.

It's their budget lineup/DO competitor. I/O is pretty limited, uses SSD block storage but capped around 65-70MB/s. You don't get all the features of EC2 but you get 1TB+ bandwidth at a cheap flat rate monthly vs $0.08/GB or whatever.

Good way to get a VM in the pricier regions with decent resources bundled, but you sacrifice a bit of performance. I've got a couple of them and no issues so far. Costs me next to nothing as well with discounted AWS credits :smiley:

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Harambe said:

@sureiam said:

It's their budget lineup/DO competitor. I/O is pretty limited, uses SSD block storage but capped around 65-70MB/s. You don't get all the features of EC2 but you get 1TB+ bandwidth at a cheap flat rate monthly vs $0.08/GB or whatever.

Good way to get a VM in the pricier regions with decent resources bundled, but you sacrifice a bit of performance. I've got a couple of them and no issues so far. Costs me next to nothing as well with discounted AWS credits :smiley:

Yikes, way to limit that gigabit transfer down ;). But I guess SSD is still useful for the fast small file access. I agree with credits it's quite the bargain. I'm impressed they have it launched in so many regions. I would have assumed it would be limited to NA and EU.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited July 2019

@Harambe said:

@sureiam said:

lol the windows VPS with 512mb of ram is a joke.. Also it's $8 a month.. If it had been $7 tho...

• Hope they dont cost more than 60 cents

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@sureiam said:
    As the title states I'd like to compile a list of providers that provide snapshots and their own software firewalls. Of course you should still harden a server and not depend on that firewall but it's a nice additional feature.

We have firewall, called "security groups" in OpenStack.

We have the snapshots feature in software (Fleio), not enabled yet on IntoVPS. It's on the way.

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • @sureiam Lightsail actually pays for windows 2012 and 2016 Server licenses- not just the 180 day evals many providers use on LET

• @TinFoil2019 said:
    @sureiam Lightsail actually pays for windows 2012 and 2016 Server licenses- not just the 180 day evals many providers use on LET

ya I get that, I just thought it was funny to think you can run a Windows VPS with 512mb of ram and a 60-70mb/s page (I assume).

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

TimboJones said: Excellent! This is what reviews should be like. I lol when someone puts out a review on LET thinking they did such a great job with their unique and unrelatable bench results and it's actually quite useless and unhelpful.

Yours are fantastic. Really, really great job.

Much appreciated. Thanks :)

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@sureiam said:

Great pricing on instances and reasonable fees for snap shop. Toronto and Montreal are great locations for NA. But hopefully you consider state side eventually. :)

I've recently been using them as I won some free credit. They're pretty snappy and offer lots of cool options :)

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

We do.

Thanked by 1sureiam