Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions About netcup and Hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions About netcup and Hetzner

spitzspitz Member

After years of wasting money with idle VPS, I eventually realized that using a pay per hour VPS is much better than getting any Black Friday deal.

I have a small VPS with netcup that I snatched from last year Black Friday that I paid for a year subscription. Does the VPS use a pay per hour model? If so, if I deleted the data completely, I will not be charged? So by the time I need to renew the subscription, they'll be balance money?

Reading Heztner's FAQ, it seems that if I delete everything completely I will not be charged, is this correct? Also for Hetzner, what if the amount to be charged is so small, can I top up some credit to my account and be charged there instead of my CC/PayPal?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

If you paid for a year then it's not hourly.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • LeviLevi Member

If there is hetzner on the table, always go with hetzner. Let it be hourly or monthly billing. Viva la hetzner!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

netcup's vServer promotions generally don't use hourly billing -- just look at the payment conditions of your contract.

Thanked by 1spitz
  • Answer: hetzner.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • spitz said: Reading Heztner's FAQ, it seems that if I delete everything completely I will not be charged, is this correct?

Yes.

spitz said: Also for Hetzner, what if the amount to be charged is so small, can I top up some credit to my account and be charged there instead of my CC/PayPal?

Yes, there's a Credit Balance option, there you can preload money for auto payments.

Thanked by 2spitz Hetzner_OL
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

The thing to be careful of is you have to actually delete/destroy the server to stop getting charged, not just shut it off ("powerdown"). In Scaleway's case you can end up deleting the server while leaving the IP address assigned, so you get charged for that.

Netcup has hourly vservers (https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php) that are priced competitively with Hetzner, plus the monthly "root servers" that actually beat Hetzner's dedicated-core cloud pricing by a lot, though they aren't hourly.

I haven't tried any Netcup products myself (not avoiding, just haven't had a need for them). A couple things to watch out for are 1) it's apparently rather complicated to cancel a monthly server from them and you have to be careful to follow all the steps. 2) they charge EU VAT even if you are not in the EU, unless they have fixed that. Some of the offers are attractive anyway though.

I'm very happy with Hetzner--their main deficiency is they only have the DE and FI locations. I've been using mostly Digital Ocean when I want an hourly server anywhere else, but there are several others in the same category.

Thanked by 2spitz Hetzner_OL
  • spitzspitz Member

willie said: The thing to be careful of is you have to actually delete/destroy the server to stop getting charged, not just shut it off ("powerdown").

Yes, I deleted the data completely, not just powered off.
    I don't see any other option (like destroy VPS) other than delete data.
    But the vps is still listed and when reinstalled it still uses the same IP so I think it's not completely deleted.

• spitzspitz Member

On a side note; wasn't there a ColoCrossing appreciation thread stickied before? Something about ColoCrossing bringing in new uplifting and positive changes and ipv6 to LET. Whatever happened to the thread?
    Sorry, can't be bothered enough to make a new thread asking about it.

• HurleyHurley Member
    edited July 2019

spitz said: On a side note; wasn't there a ColoCrossing appreciation thread stickied before? Something about ColoCrossing bringing in new uplifting and positive changes and ipv6 to LET. Whatever happened to the thread? Sorry, can't be bothered enough to make a new thread asking about it.

OP clicked a link on his profile and was never bothered to log back in ever since.