Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want a website panel made
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want a website panel made

edited July 2019 in Help

How much would it cost?
We have a £3000 - £5000 max budget but i have been offered a panel for less than £1000 though it has a few bugs so not sure about it.

Any offers let me know, we will make the panel have a free version and paid version, pro version would have an option to offer shared reseller hosting. The free version you can sell shared hosting but not reseller hosting.

Because the panel will be free we will not be making any scripts for whmcs or blesta, we will leave that down to end users. Also planning a billing system that works with the panel free and pro version.

We want to make money from the panel but also offer it for free to encourage people to contribute to plugins etc.

Clone of cPanel is what we want basically, obviously, this cannot be achieved 100% due to legal reasons but something close enough.

This post is to gather information and generate offers based on the ideas presented above.

The panel would be using a customised bootstrap left side admin panel, end-user panel.

We can maintain the panel and have basic knowledge of PHP & Python etc.

Some members here live in a fantasy world this can be done for maybe $600 so anyone saying my budget is too small must not understand the real world.

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

It's one thing to buy a cp built by someone else. Your budget could very well be sufficient. It's a whole different story to have it maintained in terms of security features.

Thanked by 1websitehostingvps
  • vovlervovler Member

If anyone could make a panel, they would not sell it to you for that price. They'd rather license it to other companies and make a recurring profit out of it.

• laobanlaoban Member

If it is £5000 monthly, you will surely receive many offers.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

imho Python Selekter is an important requirement for this project.

Thanked by 2Kwoon vimalware
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

websitehostingvps said: and have basic knowledge of PHP & Python etc.

I think this part would be what most folks would have concern with - basic knowledge isn't enough TBH

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

YAWPIP (yet another web panel in PHP)? Save the efforts and the money because you'll end up as just one fish in a pond with many, many fishes.

What is really needed, albeit not by the millions of mindless morons who accept almost anything they can click on, is a panel that is designed and implemented professionally and with all the needed know-how, in particular wrt. to being really secure.

Something like that would however require an investment of min. 25k € and probably more towards 50k. And it would be done in a compiled, strongly static typed language and offer a proper C API (that would among other things allow for PHP or Python modules to be written (not because it's the right thing to do but because it's something many clients will ask for).

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • LeviLevi Member

@jsg said:
    YAWPIP (yet another web panel in PHP)? Save the efforts and the money because you'll end up as just one fish in a pond with many, many fishes.

What is really needed, albeit not by the millions of mindless morons who accept almost anything they can click on, is a panel that is designed and implemented professionally and with all the needed know-how, in particular wrt. to being really secure.

Something like that would however require an investment of min. 25k € and probably more towards 50k. And it would be done in a compiled, strongly static typed language and offer a proper C API (that would among other things allow for PHP or Python modules to be written (not because it's the right thing to do but because it's something many clients will ask for).

So, we are looking for panel written in GO? No. You can achieve world class results with perl, php, ruby, python, java or any other pre-compiled language. There is no single tool perfect for this job.

Everything depends on budget, dedication and management.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2019

@LTniger said:
    So, we are looking for panel written in GO? No. You can achieve world class results with perl, php, ruby, python, java or any other pre-compiled language. There is no single tool perfect for this job.

No, not Go. And, pardon my french, what you say is exactly the kind of BS that brought us a ton of insecure panels.

I'm working in the IT security field and know what I'm talking about. I also know that much of the common "wisdoms" that are blurted are wrong and/or short-sighted and/or not anymore up to date or ...

Example: I hear so much about "dedication". You mentioned it too. What I rarely hear - and what you also didn't mention - is facts and "knowledge and experience". Speaking of facts I mean things like verifiably no errors or at least low error probability plus clean (error free) critical paths.

Another fact is that we simply do not need more average (read: mindlessly cobbled together PHP, Python, Perl, JS, ...) panels. There is already plenty many of those. What we do need however is a reliable and safe panel because we are talking about payments (or at least payment relevant stuff) and customers and their data.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • LeeLee Veteran

websitehostingvps said: We can maintain the panel.

See, if that were really true then you could build the panel yourself. Anything you get for that budget is very unlikely to be production-ready. It will need audited and then a maintenance program to find issues, keep things up to date and so on.

If you are not willing to invest heavily in your own panel which will be way more than 5k then you are putting your customers at risk.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I get a feeling that he just wants to sound cool.

• LeeLee Veteran

deank said: I get a feeling that he just wants to sound cool.

Is there a book for that? I could use it.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@Lee said:

deank said: I get a feeling that he just wants to sound cool.

Is there a book for that? I could use it.

Thanked by 2Lee vimalware
  • jsg said: reliable and safe panel

Do they come cheap too? Like $6000?

• jhjh Member

£5000 isn't anywhere near enough. At that price, you'll get a piece of junk you won't end up using. Better to get a bunch of DA licences at $300/pop :)

• @jh said:
    £5000 isn't anywhere near enough. At that price, you'll get a piece of junk you won't end up using. Better to get a bunch of DA licences at $300/pop :)

Or better, use the money to mod DA to make it looks alike cpanel, and sell it.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Good luck with your budget

• You'll need the custom panel plus pay someone or two guys to update and find security holes in it and release them. In such a tiny budget you can get a custom standalone panel made. Increase your budget and allocate some $$$ on monthly basis to keep the panel up to date.

Thanked by 1websitehostingvps
  • yokowasis said: Or better, use the money to mod DA to make it looks alike cpanel, and sell it.

A nice idea will look into that :)

• level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

Level 6 development recently offered the TEIN Panel (The End Is Nigh Panel). Due to the recent discovery of security vulnerabilities, it has been replaced with the ETTS Panel (Everything Turns To Shit Panel). We can offer the ETTS Panel for only 500 pidgeon coins, today only!

• williewillie Member

websitehostingvps said: Some members here live in a fantasy world this can be done for maybe $600 so anyone saying my budget is too small must not understand the real world.

Your budget is too small and you are the one who doesn't understand the real world.

• uptimeuptime Member

counterpoint: your real world is too small and you don't understand his budget!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

websitehostingvps said: We have a £3000 - £5000 max budget but i have been offered a panel for less than £1000 though it has a few bugs so not sure about it.

websitehostingvps said: Clone of cPanel is what we want basically, obviously, this cannot be achieved 100% due to legal reasons but something close enough.

Not gonna happen.

We're talking about an administrative panel here that controls system services of websites potentially handling sensitive data. Which means that you need a well-designed, secure panel. Which means that you want an experienced developer, who also understands the services they're dealing with quite well.

$100 - $200 per hour is a pretty typical rate for such a developer. At a budget of 5000 GBP (= ~$6300), you'll get at best 63 hours of work. That's likely including planning meetings, documentation writing, deployment assistance, and so on.

If you want something with feature-equivalence to cPanel, you should expect at least several hundred hours of work, if not much more. Your budget is off by an order of magnitude, potentially far more.

So, these are your options:

1. Buy a license for an existing panel. It probably won't be secure by construction, as most commercial panels are crap from an architectural point of view, but at least most of the current vulnerabilities will have been ironed out in the years before you.
    2. Pay a developer to modify and improve an existing open-source panel. If you're lucky, it might even be secure!
    3. Pay a developer to build you a custom barebones panel, with only basic functionality. This might actually be possible to do securely within your budget, if you get very lucky, and configurability/scope of the panel is very very limited.
    4. Pay a developer to build you a custom cPanel-equivalent panel. It will be thoroughly unreliable and you'll probably get hacked.
    5. Develop it yourself and hire an experienced developer for guidance and review, which will require less hours because they're not doing all the work. This will only work if you're willing to learn, and very receptive to criticism.
    6. Increase your budget.
    Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • williewillie Member

jsgguy's and joepie's estimate of 25-50k is way too low in my opinion. I posted a similar idea on another thread asking if it seemed plausible for a few hundred hosts to kick in $1K each towards a FOSS cpanel replacement and got lol'd because everyone knows LET hosts are too cheap to consider anything like that, but nobody said the amount mentioned was unreasonable. I think joepie underestimates the amount of features in cpanel. Admittedly most of them look pretty useless, but they all take time to implement. See:

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    jsgguy's and joepie's estimate of 25-50k is way too low in my opinion. I posted a similar idea on another thread asking if it seemed plausible for a few hundred hosts to kick in $1K each towards a FOSS cpanel replacement and got lol'd because everyone knows LET hosts are too cheap to consider anything like that, but nobody said the amount mentioned was unreasonable. I think joepie underestimates the amount of features in cpanel. Admittedly most of them look pretty useless, but they all take time to implement. See:

I did say "or much more" several times :) It's not clear whether OP only wants the common cPanel features or every last one of them.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Yeah there's really a heck of a lot of features, plus documentation, packaging, etc. It's quite a serious product. I haven't looked at more than 1/10th of the feature list and probably won't. And then there's the whole add-on universe.

I spent a few minutes looking at vestacp which is maybe 1/100th as complex as cpanel, and OP's budget is far too low even for that.

Thanked by 1level6
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

You guys are murderers.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • level6level6 Member

There's also the two projects from Romania, one far along. Maybe one of those will work for you.

• fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited July 2019

@jsg said:

@LTniger said:

No, not Go. And, pardon my french, what you say is exactly the kind of BS that brought us a ton of insecure panels.

I'm working in the IT security field and know what I'm talking about. I also know that much of the common "wisdoms" that are blurted are wrong and/or short-sighted and/or not anymore up to date or ...

Example: I hear so much about "dedication". You mentioned it too. What I rarely hear - and what you also didn't mention - is facts and "knowledge and experience". Speaking of facts I mean things like verifiably no errors or at least low error probability plus clean (error free) critical paths.

Another fact is that we simply do not need more average (read: mindlessly cobbled together PHP, Python, Perl, JS, ...) panels. There is already plenty many of those. What we do need however is a reliable and safe panel because we are talking about payments (or at least payment relevant stuff) and customers and their data.

Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Caddy are all written in Golang, I would not consider Golang problematic from the pov of creating secure software. And I say that as someone is not a big fan of Golang, I dislike the lack of parameterized types and syntactic sugar, I also prefer exceptions rather errors as values, although I have contributed multiple times to Kubernetes.

Yes, we should all write in C and manage memory ourselves for something as undemanding are orchestration? /s Really, you have strong beliefs with little knowledge, and I very much doubt your credentials or that you've ever written a line of C in your life.

Personally, going forward, I think Rust lang strikes a good balance of expressiveness (ADTs for the win), safety (thanks to the borrow checker), and deployment (compiled to single static executable), I don't mention performance because that rarely a concern in orchestration.

C API? For orchestration, please stop contributing, there is no need for a C API when a simple REST API or similar will suffice for sensibility. There's also no reason one can't have a secure, safe, reliable control panel written in Python (or even PHP, although I jest that won't happen), equally you can fuck up in Rust or Ocaml or F# or whatever strong type system you think will save the world.

You talk about verifably no errors, C does not provide this in any fashion, just stop please..

• HxxxHxxx Member

If you develop a web panel, keep it to yourself , if done properly it might add value to your company. Examples: DO, BuyVM, Vultr, AWS, Azure. While all I have mentioned are control panels for Virtual servers mostly, is the same logic. Your control panel adds value to your business.

• williewillie Member

Paypal is written in Javascript (node.js) and Stripe is written in Ruby. You have to be careful of what you are doing regardless of language.