Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Hetzner Network(BETA) feature for Cloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Hetzner Network(BETA) feature for Cloud

ShihabSoftShihabSoft Member
edited July 2019 in General

Sounds like a cool feature

Thanked by 1Kwoon

Comments

• Premium.
    'HWS' is our AWS

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Great new feature! Seems to be >gbit as well

2019-07-11 11:20:54 (300 MB/s) - '1GB.bin' saved [1048576000/1048576000]

• @vfuse said:
    Great new feature! Seems to be >gbit as well

2019-07-11 11:20:54 (300 MB/s) - '1GB.bin' saved [1048576000/1048576000]

Cool! I was about to do it, thanks for sharing.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Finally.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Now we just need a private network that links their Cloud offering to their dedicated servers. This is what I'm really waiting for!

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@aj_potc said:
    Now we just need a private network that links their Cloud offering to their dedicated servers. This is what I'm really waiting for!

_Can I include my Hetzner dedicated root servers in my Hetzner Cloud Networks?

Not yet, but we hope to change this soon. Keep an eye out for announcements about this on our social media feeds or in our customer newsletter._

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/CloudServer/en#Networks

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • I have tested it this morning between 2 VMs (2xCX21) on the same private network,
    it's faaaast!

Server listening on TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)

[ 4] local 10.7.0.2 port 5001 connected with 10.7.0.3 port 59450
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 3.43 GBytes 2.93 Gbits/sec
    [ 4] local 10.7.0.2 port 5001 connected with 10.7.0.3 port 59482
    [ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 3.39 GBytes 2.91 Gbits/sec

Now I'm really waiting for the LOAD BALANCER and I will have ALL I need :)

• williewillie Member

vfuse said: 2019-07-11 11:20:54 (300 MB/s) - '1GB.bin' saved [1048576000/1048576000]

Yes the cloud servers have 10gbit network interfaces. You got about 3gbit as did Angelius on cx21's. I wonder if the larger cx's or ccx's get closer to the whole 10gbit.

Being able to connect dedicated servers will really be nice!

Thanked by 2pike Hetzner_OL
  • emghemgh Member

But.. but.. top-up?

• donlidonli Member

@emgh said:
    But.. but.. top-up?

Hetzner doesn't want your free money.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • but keep in mind. No L2 functions... no DHCP, no CARP etc... it's not what it should be imho

• donlidonli Member

@ilBarista said:
    but keep in mind. No L2 functions... no DHCP, no CARP etc... it's not what it should be imho

Make an argument of why you need those things and tag Hetzner in a post.

• Nice

• I was happy to see this as well. They have been improving the product nicely. New major feature every couple of months.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Now ideally it needs a way to remove the public IP's from an instance and also put an IPv6 range on the network.

Idea being you can create an edge firewall and that would be the only vm with direct access to the public network.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Impressive... No charges at all?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • LeeLee Veteran

MikePT said: Impressive... No charges at all?

For internal networking... Better not be :)

Thanked by 2emgh MikePT
  • williewillie Member

dragon2611 said: Now ideally it needs a way to remove the public IP's from an instance and also put an IPv6 range on the network.

+1 on removing the public IP's, but if you mean private ipv6, do you really care? If you mean public ipv6, I thought it already had that but I'd have to check. The dedis definitely have public ipv6. It would be interesting to unbundle IP addresses from VM's like Scaleway does, so you don't get charged for external connectivity or public ipv4 addresses if your instance doesn't use any.

• @willie said:

dragon2611 said: Now ideally it needs a way to remove the public IP's from an instance and also put an IPv6 range on the network.

+1 on removing the public IP's, but if you mean private ipv6, do you really care? If you mean public ipv6, I thought it already had that but I'd have to check. The dedis definitely have public ipv6. It would be interesting to unbundle IP addresses from VM's like Scaleway does, so you don't get charged for external connectivity or public ipv4 addresses if your instance doesn't use any.

There's no reason why it couldn't be a routable block (There's enough V6 space for that after all) but you'd need an option to route said block to the public interface of a VM for that to be useful.

It makes sense to NAT v4 to conserve address space, that's not so much a problem for V6

The Idea being you have a VM act as the router/gateway into your network and your other VM's are behind it, after all your database server might want internet access for updates but it probably doesn't want to be directly internet facing.

• @MikePT said:

So far, the charges are nil! And I don't expect them to charge for this feature anyways.

Thanked by 2MikePT Hetzner_OL

@ShihabSoft said:

@MikePT said:

So far, the charges are nil! And I don't expect them to charge for this feature anyways.

Pretty awesome feature. Love Hetzner!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • williewillie Member

OVH has something like this and charges for it. Online.net also has something like it and doesn't exactly charge, but it only comes with the more expensive servers, with the faster version going to the higher end machines.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@willie said:
    OVH has something like this and charges for it. Online.net also has something like it and doesn't exactly charge, but it only comes with the more expensive servers, with the faster version going to the higher end machines.

Hence why I thought this could perhaps be billed as well.

The network performance internally seems top notch. Well done Hetzner.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL maverickp
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

The speeds mentioned (3gbps on cx21) are fantastic for such low end vps, but expensive stuff on other providers really does get closer to 10gbps on a net that speed. That's why I'm interested in seeing numbers for bigger (higher $$$) instances. I'd also be interested in latency figures, like how many redis or pedis queries/sec you can do between two vps on a private network.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

Between 2 CCX41's (16threads):

2019-07-12 09:42:43 (620 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [10485760000/10485760000]

Over public network you get between 180MB/s - 380MB/s there's quite a bit of difference between instances.

• williewillie Member

Nice, thanks! Next thing to try is benchmark Seastar httpd (seastar.io) against Litespeed on that network. I'll put that on my todo list.

• emghemgh Member

@willie said:

Now you're comparing mostly dedicated servers with this cloud feature though, right?

• williewillie Member

Online.net is dedis. For OVH I thought it applied to their Public Cloud as well, but I'm not so sure since I haven't used it.

Oh hmm, I remember there being a charge for OVH VRack but that might just be for dedis. It looks like private networks between public cloud instances are free:

https://www.ovh.co.uk/public-cloud/prices/#network

• emghemgh Member

@willie said:
    Online.net is dedis. For OVH I thought it applied to their Public Cloud as well, but I'm not so sure since I haven't used it.

Oh hmm, I remember there being a charge for OVH VRack but that might just be for dedis. It looks like private networks between public cloud instances are free:

https://www.ovh.co.uk/public-cloud/prices/#network

So generally free. I think Hetzner needs Top-up and possibly more features such as locations and compute optimized for more than CPU. And draticly lower prices for their dedicated CPU core ones. Maybe introduce CPU optimized with ceph too.

Although, I believe Digital ocean, vultr & linode colocate right? Hetzner is in a little different league because they actually own their centers.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Did you open a ticket with Hetzner about pre-paying? Yeah top-up would be nice as a pushbutton feature but as long as people who really want it can ticket for it, that seems good enough.

Their dedicated core hourly VPS offers already beat everyone else's pretty solidly afaict (netcup etc. root servers are not hourly, and their hourly are not dedicated core). Don't know what else you want them to optimize. High ram, low cpu maybe. I like to hope new EPYCs will change the economics of dedicated cores though.

They already have add-on SSD block storage and you can also connect to a storagebox/nextcloud. Hourly GPU would be nice I guess. More (i.e. non-EU) locations would be awesome, but that's a HUGE investment for them, not something they can assign a few developers to.