Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free cloud servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free cloud servers

There used to be quite a few free cloud server companies. I'm starting this thread to post those still available and experiences with them. More to come!

Thanked by 1NanoG6

Comments

• xaocxaoc Member

No love for Azure? :(

• perryoo11perryoo11 Member
    edited July 2019

Post4vps.com

Requires 100 posts to request
    And 20/m to keep

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
  • saibalsaibal Member

xaoc said:

I have used the free tiers of all the big three and paid AWS. Honestly, Azure has really shitty service. Not complaining since I don't pay a cent to MS. AWS is the best followed closely by Google. However, Azure has the most generous offerings in the free tier if you're a student.

• @dahartigan said:
    ssh root@localhost

No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey, password)

• @doghouch said:

@dahartigan said:
    ssh root@localhost

No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey, password)

That's a secure cloud server my man

• @dahartigan said:

@doghouch said:

@dahartigan said:
    ssh root@localhost

(that was the intention) :)

• @doghouch said:

@dahartigan said:

@doghouch said:

@dahartigan said:
    ssh root@localhost

(that was the intention) :)

Lol, I know :)

• donlidonli Member

@dahartigan said:
    ssh root@localhost

My electricity isn't free.

• @donli said:

@dahartigan said:
    ssh root@localhost

Unplug your laptop from the power, free power? Lol

• BopieBopie Member

@donli said:

@dahartigan said:
    ssh root@localhost

Go to Costa the Mc D's, Free internet and free power

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2019

I hear some will provide free vps, if you provide sister as collateral.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

@dahartigan said:

@donli said:

@dahartigan said:
    ssh root@localhost

Unplug your laptop from the power, free power? Lol

google sponsored wifi at train stations in India + govt issued laptop = no collateral needed, free surfing. Super cheap, LET price point compliant tea and coffee. Charging of laptop is also free if you can find a plug that works.

• xaocxaoc Member

@saibal said:

xaoc said:

I have used the free tiers of all the big three and paid AWS. Honestly, Azure has really shitty service. Not complaining since I don't pay a cent to MS. AWS is the best followed closely by Google. However, Azure has the most generous offerings in the free tier if you're a student.

I think i remember using Azure and that control panel was quite confusing plus the service provisioning took ages. It took me a while to find my way around because they offer a lot of options. I've never used AWS as i was afraid of getting dossed and apparently they'd charge me for that(at least a couple years ago). My google cloud VM is still active after a couple years. I have a znc on it but i've blocked everything but my ips and the irc servers ips so i don't get surprise charges or anything in case someone decides to play a "funny" trick on me.

As for education, i see a lot of goodies from Microsoft like office 365 + 1-5TB onedrive storage, github can probably be included there as well since it's owned by MS. Tho ofc i would not use the storage nor the Azure stuff as there's 0 privacy since the school dudes have access to all your data...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

vyas11 said: google sponsored wifi at train stations in India + govt issued laptop

Sounds like the ultimate summer host setup. Do you have a test IP?

saibal said: Azure has really shitty service.

xaoc said: I think i remember using Azure and that control panel was quite confusing plus the service provisioning took ages. It took me a while to find my way around because they offer a lot of options.

I've used Azure since Linux was in beta, some 5-6 years ago. Admittedly, it's only because I get free credits through MSDN. Their panel is pretty and featurefull, but it's obviously oriented towards large enterprise deployments, not freeloaders like me who just want to fire up a lone VM.

That said, they offer all the usual distros, pretty good SSD, and I've never had any problems with them. Since (like AWS, Google, etc.) all network is pay-per-GB, I don't use them for hosting. But like AWS, inbound is free, so they're excellent for backup storage. Until you need to do a large restore, of course...

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@raindog308 said:

vyas11 said: google sponsored wifi at train stations in India + govt issued laptop

No, sorry, we are experiencing some IP address exhaustion in our trains.

Thanked by 2uptime raindog308
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

@raindog308 said:

>

You are welcome to contact google India for a test setup.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@ITLabs said:

@raindog308 said:

No, sorry, we are experiencing some IP address exhaustion in our trains.

Wrong part of the train system. Free wifi at Train stations, not trains. On the trains people happily use their own paid phone data plans.
    station dot google dot com

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@vyas11 said:
    google sponsored wifi at train stations in India ...

What you probably meant to say was that thanks to a government and railroad company Google found a very cheap way to eavesdrop on and completely sell out unsuspecting train travellers in India ...

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • vyas11vyas11 Member

@jsg said:

@vyas11 said:
    google sponsored wifi at train stations in India ...

What you probably meant to say was that thanks to a government and railroad company Google found a very cheap way to eavesdrop on and completely sell out unsuspecting train travellers in India ...

>

Isn't that obvious!!!

• dedotatedwamdedotatedwam Member
    edited July 2019

Free Server Project

It's OVZ, but it's something.

Thanked by 2itgods plumberg
  • itgodsitgods Member

@dedotatedwam said:
    Free Server Project

It's OVZ, but it's something.

Wow, cool thing. <3