Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online Data Center Park Falkenstein turns 10 - free setup special! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online Data Center Park Falkenstein turns 10 - free setup special!

13»

Comments

• @willie said:
    Please, make it go away.

I know this is bringing the thread way off-topic, but I just looked at the NKN site and stopped reading when I saw this:

"Current Internet were designed for peak traffic but most of the time these networks are underutilized, leaving unused bandwidth wasted every second."

Whatever they're trying to do, somebody should probably stop it.

Thanked by 2Electr0man vimalware
  • Smith42Smith42 Member
    edited July 2019

I have no idea what @willie is on about. I'm merely wanting to hear from the Reps themselves if the 1Gbps Unmetered link is guaranteed or not. I recently learned that my OVH servers that showed 1Gbps outgoing bandwidth on the panel is not guaranteed but only best-effort, even though multiple sales agents confirmed to me that 500Mbit guarantee would be doubled to give 1Gbps guarantee post January 2019. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158739/ovh-double-bandwidth-guarantee-no-longer-guaranteed#latest

No where on Hetzner's wiki it mentions the word "Guarantee", which is fine I guess, maybe one day Hetzner may use that word as a shield to not provide the full port speed like OVH is doing today. I am however more curious about how Hetzner would handle changes to their policies. Would there be shadow changes and we find them to into effect one morning or would there be sufficient notice @Hetzner_OL . OVH added new Fair use policy for bandwidth consumption and there was no notice or announcement of it. https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/faq.xml

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

I can tell you as a several year Hetzner and OVH user that you will not get 1gbps transit from them to arbitrary locations, and you won't get it from other LET providers either, guarantee or no guarantee. OVH does use the word guaranteed but you still won't get that amount of bandwidth. I tried to explain why that was. If you couldn't understand the explanation maybe you should not be buying this type of server.

If you want some useful info, it will probably help if you say what you want to do with the server. What destinations do you want to transfer to? Hetzner Falkenstein to Hetzner Nuremburg will probably get the whole gigabit of something like it. Hetzner to OVH (France) will also do pretty good because they have direct peering. Hetzner to the US or OVH France to the US, or even OVH France to OVH Canada, you won't get anything of the sort. OVH Canada to OVH France is better than the other direction. I have servers in both OVH locations as well as at Hetzner and can report these facts from direct observation.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • JorboxJorbox Member

@willie said:
    I can tell you as a several year Hetzner and OVH user that you will not get 1gbps transit from them to arbitrary locations, and you won't get it from other LET providers either, guarantee or no guarantee. OVH does use the word guaranteed but you still won't get that amount of bandwidth. I tried to explain why that was. If you couldn't understand the explanation maybe you should not be buying this type of server.

Sharing is caring...

• @willie Honestly I can do without your opinion or wisdom. I appreciate you taking so much interest in my request to someone else and assuming my usage, I assure you its not necessary.

I was looking to hear from @Hetzner_OL directly about what's their stance on the bandwidth guarantee of their 1Gbps unmetered ports, and would they offer a notice before making any changes to their bandwidth policy, such as making the ports metered again or adding a FUP.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

This has come up many times. You are guaranteed NOT to get a full 1gbps except under certain conditions.

If you want to communicate privately with Hetzner about something, open a ticket with them. If you post on an open forum like this one, responding is open to everyone.

Thanked by 2vimalware emgh
  • @Smith42 said:
    @willie Honestly I can do without your opinion or wisdom. I appreciate you taking so much interest in my request to someone else and assuming my usage, I assure you its not necessary.

I was looking to hear from @Hetzner_OL directly about what's their stance on the bandwidth guarantee of their 1Gbps unmetered ports, and would they offer a notice before making any changes to their bandwidth policy, such as making the ports metered again or adding a FUP.

You are connected via a gigabit NIC to 100s of Gbits of peering and transit shared across Hetzner datacenter parks.
    Hetzner do not restrict your gigabit NIC.

What Willie is trying to explain is that there are lots of factors limiting your ability to sustain gigabit speed output 24/7, because of the nature of the internet.
    On average, 500mbps is always available. Most of the time, 800mbps is available too. Some of the time, 1Gbit will be possible for majority of the day to a select excellent peered network (eg. Ovh).

My educated guess based on Hetzner social media responses, is they no longer throttle NIC to 100mbit after a certain threshold.
    Truly revolutionary, no?

• Smith42Smith42 Member
    edited July 2019

@vimalware said:

Truly is, however I was more curious to see how transparent Hetzner themselves are and how would they handle policy changes. I am fully aware of the factors that may affect the sustainability of true 24/7 gigabit throughout (which is not what I'm looking for btw).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I imagine all Terms of Service are susceptible to change without notice, unless you are colo-ing with a bandwidth commit from transit/DC vendors.

Hetzner have been good chaps so far, as long as the traffic is used for business applications, and doesn't drag them through copyright drama.
    That's how they keep costs down and pass on the goodies to us.

Thanked by 2willie Hetzner_OL