Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online Data Center Park Falkenstein turns 10 - free setup special! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online Data Center Park Falkenstein turns 10 - free setup special!

Comments

• cpsdcpsd Member

I got one, thanks

• Hourly billed storageBox sounds like a great idea.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Congratulations & nice offer!

Offtopic: Not trying to be a dick but that image you put up there is very heavy! (in terms of data size) You can reduce the resolution or put a lighter image.

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@BlaZe said:
    Congratulations & nice offer!

Offtopic: Not trying to be a dick but that image you put up there is very heavy! (in terms of data size) You can reduce the resolution or put a lighter image.

I really liked that it was a large image and how I could look at details like how Hetzner apparently keeps costs down by not having any humans on the premizes. I do sympathize with you people getting Internet access from your phone handsets mounted in an acoustic modem cradle though.

• The image is that large for you to see that there aren't any fire friendly recycling neighbors.

Thanked by 1angelius
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

No clue how you keep on being a profitable business with offers like these, but thanks!

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@dahartigan said:
    Happy birthday Hetzner! May the potassium remain superior for another decade :)

You're gonna have to explain this reference. I spent time trying to find it and came up with nothin'.

@scarecrow said:
    Damn no SX62 setup discount. Why is setup for the SX series never removed on all your specials?

If we do free setup sales for entry level servers, or even ones a step up from that, lots of our customers benefit, especially people who've always wanted to try us but just hate setup fees on principal. When we get complaints from potential customers about setup fees, they tend not to be for SX servers. We do get some requests, but not nearly as many as we get for the other lines.

@willie - Thanks for the detailed feedback! I'll pass those comments onto my coworkers.

@donli said:
    I really liked that it was a large image and how I could look at details like how Hetzner apparently keeps costs down by not having any humans on the premizes. I do sympathize with you people getting Internet access from your phone handsets mounted in an acoustic modem cradle though.

I'd never noticed how empty the parking lot is in this image. And I really have no idea why. I'm not sure which day of the week or time of the day it was taken. Perhaps there were more coworkers who came with their bikes that day. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@BlaZe - Yeah the size of the image is large. We'll try to pay more attention in the future to that. Thanks :)

@DrCornFlakes - I have no idea what "fire friendly recycling neighbors" could be.

Thanked by 2Wolf dahartigan
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    And I really have no idea why. I'm not sure which day of the week or time of the day it was taken.

EXIF says that date was 23.08.2018 so it Thursday. Also sign of Adobe.
    But name of file 1907 and that (19.07.2018) was Sunday (thats more realistic without cars on parking lot).

/truedetective

• Hetzner_OL said: I have no idea what "fire friendly recycling neighbors" could be.

You should follow everyday your almost-competition:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157973/scaleway-dc5-threat-of-explosion-fire

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@Hetzner_OL said:

@dahartigan said:

You're gonna have to explain this reference. I spent time trying to find it and came up with nothin'.

There goes any hope of a Hetzner data center in Kazakhstan.

(Not Borat fans, obviously).

Thanked by 2dahartigan uptime
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@donli said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

@dahartigan said:

There goes any hope of a Hetzner data center in Kazakhstan.

Let's give Julia and Katie this nice gift for Hetzner's DC birthday.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Hetzner_OL said: If we do free setup sales for entry level servers, or even ones a step up from that, lots of our customers benefit,

This time it seems like it was mostly one customer (the one who bought 150 EX42's) who benefited :).

• fLoofLoo Member

Sadly i was not able to buy any server :neutral:

• Shot2Shot2 Member

A datacenter made entirely from body parts. Amazing.

• donlidonli Member

@Shot2 said:

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • lurchlurch Member

@Hetzner_OL be naughty and give us special free setup on SX line

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@Shot2 said:

Strange times are these in which we live.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@SashkaPro said:
    EXIF says that date was 23.08.2018 so it Thursday. Also sign of Adobe.
    But name of file 1907 and that (19.07.2018) was Sunday (thats more realistic without cars on parking lot).
    /truedetective

Yes, then it would more sense. I would clearly make a terrible detective.

Thanks for the explanation. We've been lucky with no major issues like flooding, fire, etc. But we did have a bit of a small scare earlier this year in Nürnberg with a undetonated WWII bomb that was found on a construction site.

@donli said:

I hadn't gotten around to that one yet. But I like the clips that I've seen from some of Cohen's recent stuff on "Who is America."

@lurch said:
    @Hetzner_OL be naughty and give us special free setup on SX line

Do you all really hope that just asking often enough will change my mind...?
    --Katie

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Smith42Smith42 Member
    edited July 2019

@Hetzner_OL Hi there, I just wanted to ask, are the 1Gbps ports on your servers come with 1Gbps guaranteed bandwidth and true un-metered traffic?

Do you have any Fair Use Policy for bandwidth usage on the 1Gbps Unmetered servers (New or Auction) ?

If not, and one (FUP) was added in the future, would we (your clients) receive some sort of notice regarding the change in policy?

PS. Curious to hear back from you specifically.

• dosaidosai Member

Finally I got to see where unlimited servers are stored.

• I > @Smith42 said:

@Hetzner_OL Hi there, I just wanted to ask, are the 1Gbps ports on your servers come with 1Gbps guaranteed bandwidth and true un-metered traffic?

Do you have any Fair Use Policy for bandwidth usage on the 1Gbps Unmetered servers (New or Auction) ?

If not, and one (FUP) was added in the future, would we (your clients) receive some sort of notice regarding the change in policy?

PS. Curious to hear back from you specifically.

It is true unmetered. LET proofed.

• donlidonli Member

@Smith42 said:

See the following document:
    https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Traffic/en

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Smith42Smith42 Member
    edited July 2019

@graphic @donli I have read the wiki and comments on here before, I was just hoping to hear from the Reps themselves and how would they handle a change in their policy. If they decide to add a FUP, would they just sneak it in that wiki link or announce it well in advance to all their clients @Hetzner_OL ?

• donlidonli Member

@Smith42 said:
    @graphic @donli I have read the wiki and comments on here before, I was just hoping to hear from the Reps themselves and how would they handle a change in their policy. If they decide to add a FUP, would they just sneak it in that wiki link or announce it well in advance to all their clients @Hetzner_OL ?

Hetzner isn't sneaky.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Smith42 said:

Wait for Katie or Julia, they will confirm it.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Smith42 said: 1Gbps guaranteed bandwidth

Hahahaha, I think you don't know what those words mean. @Hetzner_OL in case you're wondering what this is about, there is a new form of cryptocoin where mining is done by sending unbounded volumes of junk traffic around the internet instead of burning unbounded numbers of cpu cycles, sort of like a combination of tor and spam.

I don't know for sure that @Smith42 is doing that, but there is another thread about it from a different poster who is trying to get LET users interested in it. It sounds like a terrible idea and you should probably let your ops or SRE team know about it if they don't already. You might want to adjust policies to deal with it before it starts impacting other users. There is more info at nkn.org.

@Smith42, a data center is basically a building with a hole in the wall, with fiber optic going in and out of the hole. 1gbps (or whatever amount) of guaranteed bandwidth on LET normally means the network inside the DC can get 1gbps of traffic from your server to the hole in the wall: it won't be throttled by routers etc. inside the building. What happens outside the building is not guaranteed at all, and your available bandwidth will depend on how busy the outside-the-DC pipes are. On a good day I really do sometimes get nearly 1gbps from my Hetzner dedi to other servers in Europe, but I basically never get more than about 50mbps from Hetzner to the US. That is good enough for what I'm doing so I stay with Hetzner because the other aspects are great.

If you really want 1gbps committed bit rate from point A to point B, that will be at least 10x as expensive as a typical Hetzner dedi. With cheap servers, the external bandwidth is shared with other users, which is why I hope Hetzner blocks this damn crypto mining from eating it all.

Thanked by 2vimalware uptime
  • donlidonli Member

@willie said:

there is a new form of cryptocoin where mining is done by sending unbounded volumes of junk traffic around the internet instead of burning unbounded numbers of cpu cycles, sort of like a combination of tor and spam.

What is that called ?

• williewillie Member

Donli: NKN. There is more info at nkn.org.

Thanked by 1donli
  • donlidonli Member

@willie said:
    Donli: NKN. There is more info at nkn.org.

So this is going to do to bandwidth what crypto did to CPU/GPU usage, eh?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

It sounds that way. I haven't studied it yet, just looked at it enough to be alarmed by the other thread, but at least it sounds possible to route useful traffic through it. It's still scary. Think of tor-like nodes that produce NKN revenue proportional to the traffic they carry, like cpus can produce bitcoin revenue proportional to cycles used.

That means in contrast with tor nodes being supported by a somewhat self-sacrificing activist community (which limits how many there can be), or torrent seeding done by hobbyists who pay for it out of pocket, NKN nodes will be run by the same idiots who mine conventional cryptocoins on cpus when exchange rates make it worthwhile. I.e., like bitcoin, it will have a literally bottomless appetite for consumption since it's self-financing.

Please, make it go away.

Thanked by 1vimalware