Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• JorboxJorbox Member

@Sofia_K said:

Jorbox said: We shouldn't fail in the same mistake, They just control us !

then develop a control panel for yourself is the only option for ALL.
    and Intel/AMD might also increase their processor prices so why not design and manufacture processors at home, dig a fiberoptic worldwide too, since ISP might bump the prices! -- this list can be long and un-ending!

Why develop my own control panel since there are open source panels, your example of Intel is just funny and not related to my comment !

• is DA offering the free licenses for end users by themselves?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

cybertech said: is DA offering the free licenses for end users by themselves?

No.

Francisco

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • Jorbox said: Why develop my own control panel since there are open source panels, your example of Intel is just funny and not related to my comment !

that was my sarcastic comment just because you're whining about price increase!

• Hello LET -- Mark from DirectAdmin here.

We have been overwhelmed by inquiries to the point that we cannot keep up, which has made it very difficult to participate in discussions like this. I'm not here to drum up business or apologize for ceasing sales of licenses that were unrealistic and unsustainable. The end was nigh, and we had to take action.

At the same time, I couldn't ignore this thread any more. We have a strong community-based following and such a setting is where we feel at home. It didn't feel right to remain absent/silent.

Would love to hear a hello in return :smile:

• LeviLevi Member

DA_Mark said: Hello LET -- Mark from DirectAdmin here.

Ooo...

• @DA_Mark said:
    Hello LET -- Mark from DirectAdmin here.

We have been overwhelmed by inquiries to the point that we cannot keep up, which has made it very difficult to participate in discussions like this. I'm not here to drum up business or apologize for ceasing sales of licenses that were unrealistic and unsustainable. The end was nigh, and we had to take action.

At the same time, I couldn't ignore this thread any more. We have a strong community-based following and such a setting is where we feel at home. It didn't feel right to remain absent/silent.

Hello

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2019

DA_Mark said: Hello LET -- Mark from DirectAdmin here.

Would love to hear a hello in return

welcome Mark !

I can imagine you'd be overwhelmed. Quick suggestion - try to round up as many end users/forum folks who have experience with both cPanel and DirectAdmin and see if you get them to help folks on your forum for cPanel refugees new to DirectAdmin. I'll be one of those DirectAdmin noobs as I'll need to learn the ropes myself for my work with my own clients who use/moving from cPanel. Excited to see what I can do on DirectAdmin as source compilation opens up so many possibilities for optimisation and putting my own spin on things - performance and optimisation wise ^_^

Thanked by 2DA_Mark vimalware
  • williewillie Member

DA_Mark said: Would love to hear a hello in return :smile:

As we old C programmers like to say, "Hello, world!". And Hi Mark :)

• williewillie Member

DA_Mark said: The end was nigh

One of us!

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark

DA_Mark said: Would love to hear a hello in return

hope you've read my suggestions:
    DA should include a "site builder" like cpanel has or add it with Softaculous, plus one-click Wordpress is a must.

AutoSSL like feature for novice users who can't use let'sEncrypt

Multi PHP selector AND PHP-feature selector (like opcache, brotli) on account/domain basis

CPU load average indicators like WHM into DA "reseller panel"

Increase the 'font-size' of all the headers and text in ALL their skins. It's too tiny size.

Breadcrumb navigation up to the last page. So I've created a database, it has a 'back' button which takes me to 'previous' page (again to create a database) but not directly to the 'Home' or page where main icons are shown. So this should be added to save time and click on 'back' 'back' 'back' grey-buttons!

I didn't find "ModSecurity" toggle on/off feature, though their site shows they support it.

Perl/Pear packages - directory and installation.

jailed-ssh/Terminal to install scripts directly/ move backups etc.

CPU/RAM/Inode usage per 10 mins/1 hour/1day (similar graphs or statistic table like cpanel displays under "CPU and Concurrent Usage") feature. It should also include I/O, Entry Processes, Total Number of Processes. Right now I could only find INODES number display. Also, CPU, RAM, EP, should be displayed on the main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side. Right now only inode is displayed along with disk and bandwidth.

The 'File Manager' page where actual editing/uploads are done should have link to 'home' page. There is a small icon which opens 'Navigation' icons but there's no link to go to main page.

IP blocker where i can add IP addresses/Range to block

Domain Alias

Raw access logs/raw visitor logs AND Latest 1000 Visitors display with IP address and User-agent display inside Stats page. I couldn't find it inside Site Summary/Stats icon.

Display shared/dedicated IP address of the server on User panel on main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin DA_Mark
  • LeeLee Veteran

DA_Mark said: Would love to hear a hello in return

Hi, get a discord channel setup, I am quite liking it as it turns out :) Maybe you already have one.

Thanked by 2MikePT xaoc
  • LeviLevi Member

Sofia_K said: hope you've read my suggestions:

Why?

• Or Zulip chat, if you want long-term discovery of already discussed topics.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vimalware said:
    Or Zulip chat, if you want long-term discovery of already discussed topics.

Discord has more people. Besides, there's no reason @DA_Mark couldn't have a a #todo channel that only him and his staff can pin messages to. Keep all suggestions/ideas/comings/etc.

Francisco

• Agree on the 'more people' thing.

But quitting Facebook was hard enough.

I'm all for companies owning their data.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited July 2019

time to put some good hours into DA

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@vimalware said:
    Or Zulip chat, if you want long-term discovery of already discussed topics.

Discord has more people. Besides, there's no reason @DA_Mark couldn't have a a #todo channel that only him and his staff can pin messages to. Keep all suggestions/ideas/comings/etc.

Francisco

Already suggested Discord a few times to @DA_Mark :D

Welcome @DA_Mark!!!

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:

echo 'Hello'

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@ITLabs said:

@DA_Mark said:

echo 'Hello'

printf "Hello"

• donlidonli Member

@DA_Mark said:

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @DA_Mark said:

Hello,

looking for what define lite. Will it support multiple account / reseller ?

• @cybertech said:

^ This. Aside from helping cPanel users feel more at home, first priority is fixing up all the clunky aspects. We got lazy over the past few years. Looking at @Sofia_K's big list above, and the other suggestions here... nobody is demanding anything too complex or unreasonable.

Specifically from this community, would love to hear some ideas about our LET (Lite) license.We are thinking of reducing it to a handful of users/domains so it isn't viable for commercial purposes... more just a "personal" license and darn cheap too. So low that we might have to charge yearly, simply because merchant fees would eat up the tiny monthly payments. Could I get some feedback?

• @DA_Mark welcome on LET. Quick question. If I order now normal DA lifetime license via an account that was created way before the announcement of license pricing changes will this license be on new terms or on old ones (90 days of support with lifetime updates)?

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark Re: tiers, 5, then 15, followed by larger would certainly suit me. ;)

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:

@cybertech said:

^ This. Aside from helping cPanel users feel more at home, first priority is fixing up all the clunky aspects. We got lazy over the past few years. Looking at @Sofia_K's big list above, and the other suggestions here... nobody is demanding anything too complex or unreasonable.

Specifically from this community, would love to hear some ideas about our LET (Lite) license.We are thinking of reducing it to a handful of users/domains so it isn't viable for commercial purposes... more just a "personal" license and darn cheap too. So low that we might have to charge yearly, simply because merchant fees would eat up the tiny monthly payments. Could I get some feedback?

There are lots of people who would love a 1 user/5domain type license. Yearly payment is fine because that's how we pay for our cheap VPSs.

P.S. You have a great opportunity here with the market leader stumbling, take advantage of it.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • do hope for good integration of openlitespeed.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark

transfer tool that works as cPanel ones with backups without homedir and then rsync the files at correct plases on auto from the GUI will allow a lot of hosts to migrate serves and vps faster

About stats request maybe a munin and admin widget will do a faster job

• imokimok Member

@DA_Mark please work with JetBackup to make it available for DA.

• @Ponury_Typ said:
    @DA_Mark welcome on LET. Quick question. If I order now normal DA lifetime license via an account that was created way before the announcement of license pricing changes will this license be on new terms or on old ones (90 days of support with lifetime updates)?

Depends on the account. The ability to order legacy licenses isn't based on when the account was created, it is more based on consistent and/or recent activity.

There are hosts who truly rely on these licenses in terms of being part of their business model. They need fair notice to adjust their plans/pricing/websites as a result of this product no longer being available to them.

An account coming out of dormancy doesn't "need" any particular license in this sense, so it would likely be throttled to 0 by our system, and only new products would be available.

Hope that makes sense. Some are angry that we never made a public "last chance to stock up" announcement, but that would create the very thing we are trying to avoid.

Since this is LET and I don't want to sound too formal, may I share our latest lawsuit threat? Some guy was pretty miffed when he contacted us to buy a bazillion lifetime licenses and I said no. He claimed to have bought hardware and a DC building and "intended" to offer DA. Either we pony up the licenses, or pay for all his hardware/building expenses, because our actions are directly responsible for ruining his business plans.

So there you have it. The secret reason for our price changes. Gonna need some big bucks to compensate this fellow. :neutral: