Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 49
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

@wdmg said:
    Well, I'm not a fan of the new UI on DirectAdmin. It's bloatly, a bit over the top... what happened to the simpler UI days...

Even cPanel got the simplicity aspect right:

cPanel's new UI looks like dogshit. They didn't put two cents into thoughts for us that have to support a client that may have their shit set in another language. Without icons, it's fucking impractical. The end is night.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • cPanel design is horrible, why they removed icons? Those designers nowadays are horrible. They are doing everything Simple. Everyone could do that...

Icons is the best and gives a good and nice aspect... Jesus God. Please @DA_Mark don't remove icons, if DirectAdmin wish to make it Simple. Make an option to hide icons easy..

In my opinion Icons still and need to be there.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I think there should be a toggle to hide icons or words :smile:

I have had to go back to the old icon screen anyway as there seems to be a few glitches in ‘refreshed’ with things going off the screen which is really frustrating.

Saying that the icon Mode in dark mode has some big block white as well.

• @sandoz said:
    cPanel design is horrible, why they removed icons?

Probably they are trying to mimic the best control panel of all time, which had "Text links" set as default iconset more than a decade ago :)
    Just in case, that's H-Sphere by PSoft:
    H-Sphere control panel PSoft
    H-Sphere Positive software hosting control panel

Thanked by 1MechanicWeb
  • @DA_Mark

Could you please enable non-recurring payments from paypal/stripe on DirectAdmin.com?

Due to new rules from RBI(India), paypal/stripe dont allow creating subscription payments(probably temporarily) for Indian users. And one time payments do work.

https://www.paypal.com/in/smarthelp/article/regulatory-changes-to-automatic-payments-made-with-indian-cards-faq4602

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2021

@DataRecovery said: Probably they are trying to mimic the best control panel of all time, which had "Text links" set as default iconset more than a decade ago
    Just in case, that's H-Sphere by PSoft:

A shining light from the good old days!

I loved the panel! The only panel that could mange both Windows and Linux hosting from separate cluster of servers under the same user account!

After using Helm for about a year, H-SPhere was a breeze and the stepping stone of my journey today. I miss that so much!

• LeeLee Veteran

@sandoz said: why they removed icons?

They didn't remove the icons, they provided a new theme, don't like it? Change back to the theme with icons..

• TessiusTessius Member
    edited October 2021

I've been using DirectAdmin for 10 years after I stopped using fly by night cpanel hosts and started running my own servers. Though DirectAdmin prices have changed too, but at least they support multiple operating systems. The themes from them have been hit or miss, we'll see how it changes. Right now I'm paying for a theme license called cyberadmin which looks similar to cpanel. DirectAdmin allows you to use softaculous and a few other auto installers, but honest just use the custombuild plug in, softaculous, and ConfigServerFirewall (CSF) and you should be fine, but make sure to lock down your WordPress installs. Don't misunderstand, I've used a ton of the open source panels too, but DirectAdmin is by far the best alternative for cPanel on the market.

• As the first post on this website, I stayed there for seven days and nights without waiting for a Luxembourg storage block to be available.

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

Is BuyVM having issues in Las Vegas? My VPS has been down for about half a day now. Not responding to CP actions. @Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@m4nu said:
    Is BuyVM having issues in Las Vegas? My VPS has been down for about half a day now. Not responding to CP actions. @Francisco

We had a single node acting up but we have since migrated everyone away from it.

Open a ticket and we will take a look.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2021

Just saw an email to say that the Git Version Control is live, anyone used it yet and can confirm how well it works?

• The new cPanel glass thing is horrendous. Directadmin should see a flood of adopters based off that alone.

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • @Francisco I would like to set up a sub directory running a different version of PHP. Is that possible now? Or set up a sub domain under the main account with different (specified) PHP version. Other than that, I don’t feel the need of cPanel or CentosWebOS. No a deal breaker but backing up accounts to BackBlaze would be cool. :wink: Thank you.

I will say the overall GUI in DA needs a bit of a polish, it’s getting there, but I find when I click on things, there are more things to click on or they just don’t fill the screen correctly.

It would be nice to have custom build laid out a bit better as well, maybe into ‘administration settings’ rather than as a plugin.

@hdpixel said: @Francisco I would like to set up a sub directory running a different version of PHP. Is that possible now?

Sure? You can set a domain as well as sub domain last I checked :)

You can always use the .htaccess tricks to do it too, but if you want something more official, it works.

Francisco

• I see people giving ideas and complaining that some are not very good, but one thing is missing. They could suggest what to do, and in what aspects to improve, this is the only way the opinion counts and helps a lot more... I mean, whether for me or for anyone like @DA_Mark @Francisco

It is better to describe, what kind of product needs to be improved, or what kind of function should be improved, how and why and where.

@sandoz said: It is better to describe, what kind of product needs to be improved, or what kind of function should be improved, how and why and where.

Yep, @DA_Mark and his team have been very open to changes and improvements, people just need to tell them what they want in a panel.

Francisco

• For me, file manager need to be able to open any file type, as Cpanel file manager can.

I like simple file managers.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin

Just had an email from Acronis that they will be demoing the Acronis for DirectAdmin plugin from the 1st Nov 2021 :) This is promising!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Do people like DA better than VestaCP? I've never used DA, but I thought VestaCP was a pretty good replacement. I haven't used a panel in a while though.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited November 2021

@mwt said:
    Do people like DA better than VestaCP? I've never used DA, but I thought VestaCP was a pretty good replacement. I haven't used a panel in a while though.

You are comparing a shitty panel free with a paid panel with regular updates.

Do you realize that VestaCP isn't updated since along time ago? Exploits and vulnerabilities everywhere.. not safe anymore.

Personally I should never go with a Hosting Provider who provides VestaCP panel as their self own web hosting panel...

• @sandoz said:
    You are comparing a shitty panel free with a paid panel with regular updates.

Do you realize that VestaCP isn't updated since along time ago? Exploits and vulnerabilities everywhere.. not safe anymore.

Personally I should never go with a Hosting Provider who provides VestaCP panel as their self own web hosting panel...

I haven't used shared hosting since 2013, but I remember liking VestaCP. It seems to be quite active on GitHub and there are several forks with active development as well. I guess it's not used much anymore though. I remember that hosts used to offer zP as well, but that seems much less active. I guess Webmin and CentOS web are the largest open source ones left.

I don't see why a free thing should be regarded as low quality though. No one ditches free Apache/ngnix for resin pro. Why are panels so different? The panel can never be more secure than the FOSS software it runs on and calls anyway.

The rule usually goes the other way. If I made a proprietary implementation of PHP, everyone would start with the assumption that it was junk and filled with exploits.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

I kindly request from DirectAdmin team to add support for Handshake top-level-domains. Right now TLDs do not work with DirectAdmin.

• For example if customer wants to add TLD "sampletld" in DirectAdmin, it does not work ("invalid domain" error).
    • If some customer wants to add domain "www.sampletld", it also does not work ("invalid domain" error).

Considering how internet evolves, adding Handshake domains would bring DirectAdmin one step ahead cPanel in such features, whilst promoting anonymity and privacy.

• I was creating a backup schedule and made a mistake in the path. It failed, gave me a message and deleted the schedule.

I have to start all over again, not just to change the path.

Hire a UX guy, please.

• @DA_Mark @smtalk

Hey, maybe this is an old question.

How to enable WebDav from the Panel? Is there a plugin for it?

I found some guides for Apache 1.3.x only and I need to tweak the settings first.

I'm afraid that will break my NGINX_APACHE config.

Thanks

• @Fritz said:
    @DA_Mark @smtalk

I found some guides for Apache 1.3.x only and I need to tweak the settings first.

Thanks

If you use any software like NextCloud or OwnCloud providing services over WebDAV - nothing needs to be configured.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited January 2022

@smtalk said: nothing needs to be configured.

Because they inherently use SabreDAV. ;)

• @smtalk said:

@Fritz said:
    @DA_Mark @smtalk

Thanks

If you use any software like NextCloud or OwnCloud providing services over WebDAV - nothing needs to be configured.

What if I want to use the one integrated to the panel? Like what cpanel does.

Is that possible?

• @Fritz said:
    What if I want to use the one integrated to the panel? Like what cpanel does.

Is that possible?

There is no ability to control WebDAV accounts in DirectAdmin interface yet. There seems to be a feature request for it though: https://feedback.directadmin.com/b/feature-requests/webdav-access

Feel free to add your upvote so we can see demand growing for this.