Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 27
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• @Shamli said:
    A previously removed account from DA cant be re-created with same username. Error folder already exist.

Have to change username to continue. Ex: add number at end of username.

Experienced it just now on buyshared.

Removal and re-creation is done from DA panel.

thats weird, it works fine on my end

• ShamliShamli Member
    edited October 2019

@stephfd21 said:

thats weird, it works fine on my end

Maybe because time between removal and recreation is to short. Less than 5 minutes.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited October 2019

Haven't gone through all the 16 pages (did use search though, didn't help).
    Not sure if this is the particular server setup, or general rule:

Is it possible to see hidden files in the file manager?

Evolution skin looks nice, but it also reminds me of Windows 10 - can't get all the options/menus to show, have to use the search in order to do so.

Power user skin is ugl... 90s, but has all nicely structured and logical to navigate.

Another note on the file manager: cPanel's is more intuitive when it comes to copy/move files for example.

DNS setup: would prefer to either have all the values listed with quotes ( "value"), or have none. This way it is a bit confusing: IP addresses (A records for example) are shown as they are, while DKIM and SPF are shown with quotes included.

The default directory structure differs from cPanel's. DA has:
    domains/mydomain.com/public_html
    CP has:
    home/server_username/public_html

The DirectAdmin's choice is more logical though, IMO, just less compatible with the currently prevalent option. Also, not being able to change directory to differ from the domain name has advantages, I suppose - DA to DA migrations should go smoother.
    But it is one more thing to edit when migrating websites from cPanel.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • @bikegremlin said:
    Haven't gone through all the 16 pages (did use search though, didn't help).
    Not sure if this is the particular server setup, or general rule:

Is it possible to see hidden files in the file manager?

Apparently so https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=302

Another note on the file manager: cPanel's is more intuitive when it comes to copy/move files for example.

Have to admit, my first testing period I made a few mistakes not realising the clipboard situation.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

DA is OK, I like the speed of it, I like the fact it’s not bloated and light weight.

Install takes forever and so does recompiling.

I hate all the clicking to get to somewhere that could have been changed several clicks ago.

I hate the fact it’s very command line and php extensions can be a pain.

Also we had an issues with SSL’s not working last week, due to the fact it was out of date, but didn’t realise because custom build was out of date... When I updated custom build, there was a load of updates... just wasted half my life trying do something simple...

Surely we can get things to update automatically???

Do DA have a road map yet of what they plan to do? Or any other changes they plan to make?

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2019

@bikegremlin said:
    DNS setup: would prefer to either have all the values listed with quotes ( "value"), or have none. This way it is a bit confusing: IP addresses (A records for example) are shown as they are, while DKIM and SPF are shown with quotes included.

You haven't noticed that these are TXT records, compared to other types? Data typing: An A record expects octets, for example. Also notice records vary in the number of fields. ;)

The default directory structure differs from cPanel's. DA has:
    domains/mydomain.com/public_html
    CP has:
    home/server_username/public_html

I'd rather have the Unixy System 5 /home/user any day of the week instead of some arbitrary formatting (always thought Plesk compared to WHM/cPanel was crap, particularly in the directory structure.)

/home/user +1 it makes sense.

I moved an account with sub domains and it was a pain, especially cron jobs, they were a mile long.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited October 2019

@experttechit said:
    DA is OK, I like the speed of it, I like the fact it’s not bloated and light weight.

Install takes forever and so does recompiling.

I hate all the clicking to get to somewhere that could have been changed several clicks ago.

I hate the fact it’s very command line and php extensions can be a pain.

Also we had an issues with SSL’s not working last week, due to the fact it was out of date, but didn’t realise because custom build was out of date... When I updated custom build, there was a load of updates... just wasted half my life trying do something simple...

Surely we can get things to update automatically???

Do DA have a road map yet of what they plan to do? Or any other changes they plan to make?

In options.conf you can set applications to auto update via cron. I just set notifications. Dunno about custombuild itself though.

• DA's documentation is really not good. So much old and outdated stuff in there. It should get revised from the ground.

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@bikegremlin said:

You haven't noticed that these are TXT records, compared to other types? Data typing: An A record expects octets, for example. Also notice records vary in the number of fields. ;)

It is my impression that it could benefit from being displayed without the quotes - even for the TXT fields. Would make copy/paste to separate DNS simpler for one.

As with all the other notes - it's my impression. User feedback. It is for the developers to decide what's good and/or worth bothering to implement/change.

How does one enable file manager to show hidden files (on a shared/reseller DA account)? Can't figure it out, Google doesn't help.

• @Amitz said:
    DA's documentation is really not good. So much old and outdated stuff in there. It should get revised from the ground.

I suppose they have a lot of things on their hands now - unexpectedly. Support for all the other software and services, a lot more customers to support etc.

Writing documentation and tutorials also takes time and effort.
    Not sure how productive publishing it is, if the DirectAdmin will see more changes soon.

But it does need both "polishing" - not nearly idiot friendly enough - and better support-tutorials.
    I consider myself to be an advanced user (as objective as one can be about themselves) and haven't been able to figure it out quickly, while still not able to see hidden files in the FileManager - after Googling and spending time to figure it out. I did find DirectAdmin page that announces the introduction of that option, but not how to enable it from reseller/shared hosting account. :)

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • How about the ability to open file manager in a new window/tab....??

The sub theme icons is really good and makes life much easier.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Shamli said:
    A previously removed account from DA cant be re-created with same username. Error folder already exist.

Already reported this. Seems to be a bug with CageFS, that is what I was told. It sucks tho

I noticed when editing dns I have to refresh page to add/edit more entries.

• @experttechit said:
    I noticed when editing dns I have to refresh page to add/edit more entries.

It shouldn't be the case in 1.59.2 RC1 anymore :smile: Was fixed ~2 weeks ago.

@Shamli said:
    How about the ability to open file manager in a new window/tab....??

What's the error right when you try doing so? I was able to left-click "System Info&Files -> File Manager" and select "Open Link in New Tab".

@MikePT said:

@Shamli said:

Already reported this. Seems to be a bug with CageFS, that is what I was told. It sucks tho

I've heard they've fixed a similar issue lately, not sure about ETA on the new release :smile:

@bikegremlin said:

@Amitz said:
    DA's documentation is really not good. So much old and outdated stuff in there. It should get revised from the ground.

I suppose they have a lot of things on their hands now - unexpectedly. Support for all the other software and services, a lot more customers to support etc.

Writing documentation and tutorials also takes time and effort.

New documentation is work-in-progress. It'll take time though.

Thank you for the feedback!

Thanked by 2MikePT Amitz
  • The "icon based theme" theme looks great I hope if they can make it similar to cPanel and reseller skin similar to WHM skin. 90% of the web hosting users are used to these cPanel skins so it would be great if DA can make it similar so there are sell issues with users once once they switch.

• What's the error right when you try doing so? I was able to left-click "System Info&Files -> File Manager" and select "Open Link in New Tab".

previously, any changes(navigating menu) on parent or child, will also affect the other...just re-tested, and it works...

• @SkyNetHosting said:
    The "icon based theme" theme looks great I hope if they can make it similar to cPanel and reseller skin similar to WHM skin. 90% of the web hosting users are used to these cPanel skins so it would be great if DA can make it similar so there are sell issues with users once once they switch.

Did you try traditional subtheme for hybrid layout option? https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58500

edited October 2019

DA is such a mess!
    Trying to do a simple ftps/sftp backup from one DA server to another DA server ('Straight' FTP is not an option). Remote user is already setup and local backup settings are set with the correct ssh port. The GUI requests a password but has no indication/field for ssh key. The generic error messages that are displayed are useless. Do backups run as root, diradmin or the admin/end user?
    Googling around, as usual there are conflicting/confusing/complex workarounds/additions/contributions to get this to allegedly work. I'm just about to code my own backup in bash/mysqldump/tar/rsync, 'cos at least I know what the hell it's doing.

I ask myself; what's the point in a GUI control panel, when I repeatedly need to drop to the shell, to get stuff setup? IMHO, DA should take a long hard look at the existing GUI structure/methods and try to streamline/activate the needful. Look at WHM for inspiration; it's not perfect by any means but at least typical admin functions are readily accessible.

/rant

I have done a simple FTP backup from the old server to the new server into admin_backups on the new server, it worked great!

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    DA is such a mess!
    Trying to do a simple ftps/sftp backup from one DA server to another DA server ('Straight' FTP is not an option). Remote user is already setup and local backup settings are set with the correct ssh port. The GUI requests a password but has no indication/field for ssh key. The generic error messages that are displayed are useless.
    Googling around, as usual there are conflicting/confusing/complex workarounds/additions/contributions to get this to allegedly work. I'm just about to code my own backup in bash/mysqldump/tar/rsync, 'cos at least I know what the hell it's doing.

I ask myself; what's the point in a GUI control panel, when I repeatedly need to drop to the shell, to get stuff setup? IMHO, DA should take a long hard look at the existing GUI structure/methods and try to streamline/activate the needful. Look at WHM for inspiration; it's not perfect by any means but at least typical admin functions are readily accessible.

/rant

That's perfectly logical and reasonable.

From my own experience, trying to be objective and laugh at myself a bit at the same time:

Not liking and quickly getting a hang of a new control panel means I'm getting old (and grumpy). :)
    "The ol' one was working fine, why did they have to change it all!?!"

My first DA experience was strongly influenced by this aversion, from the very start. Would even call it prejudice.

Could they have made it "a copy" of cPanel? Sure, it would make sense now, after the cPanel's price hike, when many people are moving to DirectAdmin to save money basically, without having planned to use it otherwise and having gotten used to cPanel. Just not certain how difficult that would be and whether it would beat the point of having a different control panel, with some advantages (apart from the downside of having to get the hang of it and learn new stuff).

Bottom line, since there's no third alternative that is somewhat useful emerging, it boils down to cPanel (now premium, costly option) and DirectAdmin. So I decided to reset my brain:

"Pretend cPanel doesn't exist, never existed. You know what needs to get done - now see the logic of this control panel and figure out how to do it using it, the easiest and quickest way".

This helped a lot. Now all the praises and complaints I have are more objective.
    After a few more months, website setups and migrations, I'd be able to make a list of pros, cons (compared to cPanel) and suggestions for change/improvement.

So far, my biggest gripe is the directory structure.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
    edited October 2019

@experttechit said:
    I have done a simple FTP backup from the old server to the new server into admin_backups on the new server, it worked great!

Would love to know your magic sauce! Though zero secure tunnel ain't a good idea except on a LAN.

Error during Backup Creation
    FTP information invalid.

Chocolate teacup comes to mind.

Note: a cli sftp works as expected.

edited October 2019

I am trying to suss out DA but it is a real struggle.
    DNS is another area: try changing nameservers at the user level - they don't match up to those at admin level (my fault).
    In Account Info, they still display the 'bad' nameservers, so trying to change them (to porkbun ones)..

Error saving Nameservers
    ns1 or ns2 are not valid nameservers

Fab.

Note: I wouldn't be so critical if this was a free open source control panel. It's a commercial product albeit at low rates compared to WHM. My criticism is just as cutting for CWP. ;)

@AlwaysSkint

On the new server in the admin account I created an FTP account. Set it up to the admin_backup folder.

On the old server I set the backup to use the FTP account I created on the new server.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @bikegremlin said:
    "Pretend cPanel doesn't exist, never existed. You know what needs to get done - now see the logic of this control panel and figure out how to do it using it, the easiest and quickest way".

This.

There's a lot of things that I like about DirectAdmin that I think they actually do better than cPanel. It's just that after 15 to 20 years (how long has cPanel been around?) of working with cPanel, it's hard to undo a lot of that in my head.

Having said that though, I do think there are some thing that cPanel does better (like embracing RPMs and less of a "compile everything" approach). And I think it would be a good idea for DirectAdmin to look at some of those things. That doesn't mean make a clone of cPanel. But it seems the impression I get - and I don't know if this is necessarily from DirectAdmin developers or maintainer or from long-time DirectAdmin users - is that any way cPanel does a task... it's wrong. It's this mindset that seems to stall innovation.

Personally for me, the lack of GUI stuff in DirectAdmin doesn't bother me. I'd rather work through the command-line anyway. And just like backups, I prefer to write my own scripts so that I know exactly what it is doing - just so long as DirectAdmin can provide the tools or a template of what should be backed up for each account. cPanel taught everyone to take the administration out of being a server admin, so there seems to be a whole group of "server admins" that aren't really admins. DirectAdmin forces you to be a real server administrator.

edited October 2019

@sparek said:

@bikegremlin said:

This.

There's a lot of things that I like about DirectAdmin that I think they actually do better than cPanel. It's just that after 15 to 20 years (how long has cPanel been around?) of working with cPanel, it's hard to undo a lot of that in my head.

Having said that though, I do think there are some thing that cPanel does better (like embracing RPMs and less of a "compile everything" approach). And I think it would be a good idea for DirectAdmin to look at some of those things. That doesn't mean make a clone of cPanel. But it seems the impression I get - and I don't know if this is necessarily from DirectAdmin developers or maintainer or from long-time DirectAdmin users - is that any way cPanel does a task... it's wrong. It's this mindset that seems to stall innovation.

Personally for me, the lack of GUI stuff in DirectAdmin doesn't bother me. I'd rather work through the command-line anyway. And just like backups, I prefer to write my own scripts so that I know exactly what it is doing - just so long as DirectAdmin can provide the tools or a template of what should be backed up for each account. cPanel taught everyone to take the administration out of being a server admin, so there seems to be a whole group of "server admins" that aren't really admins. DirectAdmin forces you to be a real server administrator.

As a reseller hosting user (customer), I don't mind one thing having stuff done using GUI.

For example: it's not a problem adding .htaccess rules for hotlink protection, but I prefer to have that done by the control panel - just providing it a list with domains that are allowed.

cPanel does that nicely, reading the created account's domains and subdomains and adding them automatically to a list, so all you need to do (unless you have a good reason to remove a (sub)domain) is click "enable".

It's elegant, fast, convenient. While I sleep better knowing how it is implemented (what's "under the hood"), I prefer being able to do things with a few clicks. This goes double for any less tech savvy friends/customers. Especially for stuff that differs slightly, but enough to not work if just copy/pasted. To use the example of hotlink protection, domain list is different for every user.

Would stress this, since it needs stressing: time is the limiting factor for us all (as @deank often reminds us). With enough lifetimes, I'd devote one of them just to server administration and do it all "by hand", just for the feeling of accomplishment (and knowing it's all done properly :) ). But the main point of a control panel, IMO, is that a group of people put in the time (and effort), to make it easier and faster for all the others, ever since, to complete the same tasks.

I really value and appreciate good tools - both for mechanics and computers. cPanel was not perfect (resource demanding for one). DirectAdmin - using cycling mechanics analogy, it would be a relatively cheap Taiwanese tool (no offence meant to the knowledge and the efforts of the developers and Taiwanese tool manufacturers), that is built well enough for professional (not just hobby) use, but with relatively poor ergonomy, so not the first one you go for in the shop, if you have a choice.

But I believe it can be improved and the most I can contribute is offer objective user experience with all the things I like, dislike and improvement suggestions (ideas) for developers' consideration.

• @bikegremlin said:
    It's elegant, fast, convenient. While I sleep better knowing how it is implemented (what's "under the hood"), I prefer being able to do things with a few clicks.

This is where there's probably some disconnect. And I very well may be in the minority and if I am I can certainly understand why my voice doesn't carry as much. Still, regardless of how loud a voice is, we're all here to give opinions and feedback, right?

The disconnect (and this is actually true with cPanel too) comes with the question... "How many servers are you managing?" If you have one or two servers, then logging into a GUI interface to click a button isn't that time consuming. But what happens if you scale that up to 20, 30, 100 servers? If the only way to perform a certain task is to log into the GUI and click the button... Do you know how time consuming that would be for 100 servers?

I'm all about efficiency. Logging into 100 GUIs to click a button, might take 2 hours. Running a command simultaneously from the command-line... using tools where I can log into all 100 servers at the same time... takes 5 seconds.

DirectAdmin is pretty good at detailing what each button click does, so it's somewhat easy to duplicate this from the command-line. This is what I like about DirectAdmin. cPanel improved this quite a bit when they introduced their command-line API tools.

Prior to the cPanel fiasco, I think DirectAdmin was mostly a hobbyist control panel. It wasn't used en masse for web hosting, so there weren't a lot of DirectAdmin users that had 20, 30, 50 servers. Now it remains to be seen just how adopted DirectAdmin is going to become as a cPanel replacement. But the big question has to be how badly does DirectAdmin want to be a cPanel replacement? Or are they content to remain as a hobbyist control panel? Don't miscontrue this question. If they want to remain a hobbyist control panel, that's fine and there's nothing wrong with that. But if they do want to increase their market share, I think it would benefit them to take a look at some of the things cPanel got right and see how they can add them to DirectAdmin or improve on them and not just dismiss them out of hand because they have a cPanel tag.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
    edited October 2019

@sparek said:
    I think it would benefit them to take a look at some of the things cPanel got right and see how they can add them to DirectAdmin or improve on them and not just dismiss them out of hand because they have a cPanel tag.

This.

I spend most of my time fighting the changing goalposts of email rejection, looking at the server email queue and overall system usage (munin). There is a time & place for both GUI and cli but the GUI should be there to assist not hinder.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
    edited October 2019

@sparek and @AlwaysSkint - I agree.

Depending on one's use-case, GUI is not always the preferred way, for sure. For a customer/user, it does make a lot of things faster and simpler.

Suppose that doesn't mean text mode should be disabled, does it?

One example is WHM/cPanel/JetBackup combination. It allows setting up automated, scheduled backups of all the created cPanel accounts (with lots of options). 100% GUI set up (how it's done with pics - link).

Sure, one can do similar using cron jobs and WHMEasyBackup, or WHMbackup.solutions, but this is simpler (for me, as a user).

Most of the info I can provide is from the user perspective. Don't know how important that is for hosting providers using DirectAdmin - whether server administration "side" of the panel is a lot more important, or whether idiot friendly "customer end" results in fewer support tickets and saves time (and money). Either way, it's the only side I can see and can give feedback on.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint