Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• @Amitz said:
    Good pricing. I unfortunately really bite my ass that I just bought a lifetime license, as I could get along well with one of the "smaller" and cheaper licenses, but still good, fair and competitive pricing. Well done, @DA_Mark!

New pricing should be up within 48 hours. After that, feel free to open a ticket for a refund. We can change your existing license to a new product type so you experience no downtime. :) Then you can order the license you really want.

The whole idea behind this new pricing is to introduce some fairness into retail pricing, so we are happy to do it.

• @DA_Mark said:

@bula said:
    This seems reasonable for personal sites and small business. Like myself I am no longer in Hosting business but help friends and family members with hosting needs. This works just fine. looking forward for entry level plans.

Thanks for the feedback -- it really helps me because there was a bit of internal resistance/grumblings about my price proposal for the personal license; mostly that it was too much of a discount compared to other solo-type licenses out there. That's the reason it took so long to finalize pricing. My business partners made good points -- that even a 50% discount (compared to others) would be a deal.

Ultimately it came down to what I would do in that situation. My own VPS, a few hobby domains/projects, maybe looking like a hero to a friend/acquaintance by hosting their static content and domain. Would I really pay $10-$15/month ($120-$180/year) in addition to the cost of my VPS? Zero chance. My hobby VPS isn't a money maker. I don't want it to become that much of a financial burden.

But $2/month.. Hmm. I'm getting a commercial product.. I'm giving up a bit of cash to support development, but I don't mind -- because someone finally decided to be fair about pricing.

My thoughts anyway. :neutral:

Hello, I congratulate you for these important changes, these prices help boost web hosting in Venezuela again, my country is in a crisis that the monthly salary of a worker is $ 3, your new prices are a blessing from God to us . and thanks also to Francisco for what he has accomplished in this forum about Directadmin. Sorry my bad english.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited August 2019

@cimaserver said:
    Hello, I congratulate you for these important changes, these prices help boost web hosting in Venezuela again, my country is in a crisis that the monthly salary of a worker is $ 3, your new prices are a blessing from God to us . and thanks also to Francisco for what he has accomplished in this forum about Directadmin. Sorry my bad english.

Thank you for the nice & kind words. :smile: I'm sure @Francisco appreciates it too.

I'm hoping our retail price changes demonstrate that we are truly listening to feedback and that any price changes are fair, rather than opportunistic.

Thanked by 3Francisco MikePT iKeyZ
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@DA_Mark said:

@Amitz said:
    Good pricing. I unfortunately really bite my ass that I just bought a lifetime license, as I could get along well with one of the "smaller" and cheaper licenses, but still good, fair and competitive pricing. Well done, @DA_Mark!

New pricing should be up within 48 hours. After that, feel free to open a ticket for a refund. We can change your existing license to a new product type so you experience no downtime. :) Then you can order the license you really want.

The whole idea behind this new pricing is to introduce some fairness into retail pricing, so we are happy to do it.

I want this for myw.pt main server. Runs a single domain only. I guess the license would apply?

Cheers and well done mate!

@cimaserver said:

@DA_Mark said:

@bula said:
    This seems reasonable for personal sites and small business. Like myself I am no longer in Hosting business but help friends and family members with hosting needs. This works just fine. looking forward for entry level plans.

Thanks for the feedback -- it really helps me because there was a bit of internal resistance/grumblings about my price proposal for the personal license; mostly that it was too much of a discount compared to other solo-type licenses out there. That's the reason it took so long to finalize pricing. My business partners made good points -- that even a 50% discount (compared to others) would be a deal.

Ultimately it came down to what I would do in that situation. My own VPS, a few hobby domains/projects, maybe looking like a hero to a friend/acquaintance by hosting their static content and domain. Would I really pay $10-$15/month ($120-$180/year) in addition to the cost of my VPS? Zero chance. My hobby VPS isn't a money maker. I don't want it to become that much of a financial burden.

But $2/month.. Hmm. I'm getting a commercial product.. I'm giving up a bit of cash to support development, but I don't mind -- because someone finally decided to be fair about pricing.

Politics... Its not easy there mate... Hope you guys can do it.

Thanked by 1cimaserver
  • SSL access to DA panel via user's domain without any SSL error. It would be very nice if it could be made by default.

@astrovps said:
    SSL access to DA panel via user's domain without any SSL error. It would be very nice if it could be made by default.

Its planned. I have been bugging Martynas about this so they can release it faster. Resellers really want/need this.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited August 2019

@MikePT said:
    I want this for myw.pt main server. Runs a single domain only. I guess the license would apply?

Totally fine. This applies to anyone. And, if you ordered a more expensive license that you don't need, we are happy to refund it and get you setup with a Personal or Lite license instead.

The only thing I ask is that you wait until the new licensing shows up on our site (1-2 days at most). Then open a ticket.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@DA_Mark Appreciate the low end offers! Can see myself grabbing a personal license or two for the servers that aren't with @Francisco :tongue:

I know it's already set, but personally I would've preferred a flat domain limit rather than account + domains, so it's easier to isolate single domains in their own accounts with unique logins.

I think I understand the business decision and avoiding having smaller commercial shops cheap out on licensing, but it would've been nice to see. Even if it meant a lower domain limit, like 5/30. Can't have everything in life though, lol.

Thanked by 2Francisco DA_Mark
  • @DA_Mark said:

@bula said:

Honestly,
    If you guys are going that extra mile of creating personal license, might as well go webuzo route :).

1 flat price. 1 user, unlimited usage. Simple life.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @MikePT said:

@cimaserver said:

@DA_Mark said:

@bula said:

I recommend the services provided by @MikePT. when in spanish? :expressionless:

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Harambe said:
    @DA_Mark Appreciate the low end offers! Can see myself grabbing a personal license or two for the servers that aren't with @Francisco :tongue:

I know it's already set, but personally I would've preferred a flat domain limit rather than account + domains, so it's easier to isolate single domains in their own accounts with unique logins.

I think I understand the business decision and avoiding having smaller commercial shops cheap out on licensing, but it would've been nice to see. Even if it meant a lower domain limit, like 5/30. Can't have everything in life though, lol.

Oh trust me, I know where you're coming from. But we had to draw the line somewhere. You hit the nail on the head -- the single login was strictly a business decision. We didn't cripple any DA features whatsoever. So allowing 10 consecutive logins from 10 different accounts... on a $2 license.. just can't do it.

Would be awesome if we could.. but like you said, the intent isn't to allow commercial shops to cheap out on licensing. It was more to be fair to the regular person/hobbyist who manages a bunch of domains (and maybe for friends/family/acquaintances).

Our Lite license does allow 10 different human beings to login a the same time.. similar price range as a certain competitor's solo license... So.. like you said, would be awesome to have everything in life. But I hope this shows we are at least willing to be fair.

Everything is a compromise I guess. :smile:

Thanked by 2Harambe seriesn

@DA_Mark said:

@MikePT said:

Totally fine. This applies to anyone. And, if you ordered a more expensive license that you don't need, we are happy to refund it and get you setup with a Personal or Lite license instead.

The only thing I ask is that you wait until the new licensing shows up on our site (1-2 days at most). Then open a ticket.

This sounds great. Thank you so much Mark.

@cimaserver said:

@MikePT said:

@cimaserver said:

@DA_Mark said:

@bula said:

I recommend the services provided by @MikePT. when in spanish? :expressionless:

Soon!

I need time to install a few languages... Tomorrow I will get this done. :)

• Unable to use the DA backup option to remote FTP.

An error occurred during the backup (id=1)

User admin has been backed up. <0:03:03>
    ftp_upload.php exit code: 3
    ftp_upload.php output: ncftpput /home/tmp/admin.4745/admin.root.admin.tar.gz: miscellaneous error.
    ncftpput return code: 3
    <0:18:04>

Although a backup error has occurred, the upload of valid backups would have still been attempted to ftp://xxxxxxxx

I am using the same backup server to transfer backup files from other cPanel reseller accounts without any issues.

• @shakensoul said:
    Unable to use the DA backup option to remote FTP.

ftp_upload.php output: ncftpput /home/tmp/admin.4745/admin.root.admin.tar.gz: miscellaneous error.

Although a backup error has occurred, the upload of valid backups would have still been attempted to ftp://xxxxxxxx

I am using the same backup server to transfer backup files from other cPanel reseller accounts without any issues.

Weird and generic error regarding a failed transfer. Use FTPS by generating the backup the same way, but when you enter in your ftp login info (ip/user/pass): Where it says "Secure FTP: No", change this to FTPS. This may not fix the issue, but at least give us more info about the problem.

If you would like more personalized troubleshooting then don't be afraid to open a ticket so we can figure this out.

• @DA_Mark said:
    Hi guys,

First order of business is to thank you for your feedback (from what seems like a long time ago) regarding our Lite license. We finally locked in the details of what it will be, all due to the feedback here. Because of the pushback I received, there's actually two new retail products that came as a result of this. Here's a preview of what our retail pricing page will soon contain:

1) Trial license. Actually, a full retail DA license that will last for 60 days. No credit card required. No spam. No contact with a live human being required. Perfect for summer hosts.

2) Personal license. $2/month. Yes, two bucks a month for a commercial control panel. Single login, and up to 10 domains. It will be charged annually due to merchant costs eating up monthly transactions.

3) Lite license. About half price of our $29 retail license. 10 accounts, 50 domains.

4) Regular $29 license remains unchanged.

I realize this isn't earth-shattering news to anyone, because most of you are providers or getting licenses from providers, which is cheaper than retail pricing (even with these new changes). So this is more of a thanks than anything.

Regarding the other suggestions, please keep them coming, especially the installer. Now that the licensing structure has been worked on, we will have much more time for tweaks and development. I really like the idea of wayyyyy more customization in the installer, even to the point of defining default skins etc. (On the other hand, lots of the big guys are demanding a hands-off installer, requiring zero input -- not even license ID etc. We are working on this too.)

Mark

also free license for DA DNSOnly (like cPanel DNSOnly) for multi server dns clustering would be nice.

• xaocxaoc Member

The personal license will surely give Plesk some hard times. So you're in fact killing 2 birds(control panels) with one stone now. I like!

Thanked by 2WSWD DA_Mark
  • LeviLevi Member

I see few benefits for the company from made decisions so far:

• Wider adoption for product. I'am admin, I use DA for personal projects, I learn it and I bring it to my company where I work and where is DA's wanted customer;
    • Faster turnaround with bugs/feature requests as there would be significantly more clientele;
    • Less USD spent on abstract marketing. The best marketing is mouth-to-moth;

Overall: good timing, wise decisions, fast decisions, close relationship with customer, politeness. A good chowder for delicious success and one step closer to that private island with few jets and complementary blondies...

GG/WP. Stay safe.

Thanked by 3DA_Mark lazyt MikePT
  • @DA_Mark said:

@shakensoul said:
    Unable to use the DA backup option to remote FTP.

Weird and generic error regarding a failed transfer. Use FTPS by generating the backup the same way, but when you enter in your ftp login info (ip/user/pass): Where it says "Secure FTP: No", change this to FTPS. This may not fix the issue, but at least give us more info about the problem.

If you would like more personalized troubleshooting then don't be afraid to open a ticket so we can figure this out.

Ticket #18494 submitted.

• @shakensoul said:

Ticket #18494 submitted.

I'll put a tech on it right now. Whether you are happy or not, feel free to keep this thread updated on how it progresses.

• @cimaserver wow, can't believe you're about to setup hosting in Venezuela. Most of your people left and came over to my island already, Trinidad and Tobago. Sure its tough and crowded over here and most of our locals have a nasty attitude towards you guys but $3 a month is almost impossible to live on man. If you do decide to come over here, I'd be willing to let you manage my servers and client websites. You'd make a heck of a lot more than $3 a month friend. As long as you can arrange living conditions, immigration would leave you alone. And yes, I use directadmin!

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @LTniger said:
    .. The best marketing is mouth-to-moth;

Don't mind kissin' a frog but I hate dat!

(Moths give me the willies)

• mkvmkv Member

I am a long-timer DA user (since 2008, I believe). Now we have only one DA server left and for a reason (or several reasons, actually). I know pretty much about it and I have to say it used to be pretty good - ten years ago.

The web stuff (Apache/Nginx, PHP, Exim, Dovecot, FTP servers etc) is in installed using the horrible CustomBuild system. That means you have to compile each piece of software from source and it is, of course dead slow. Moreover, the build will crash every now and then. Been there. On low end servers you might hit the RAM limit. I have one server that would run perfectly in 512 MB to run but due to CustomBuild I have had to upgrade the server to 2 GB. To install any PHP monthly upgrades, for example, you have to sit next to the SSH terminal for fifteen minutes each month to see that everything goes OK. The GUI does not help you a bit.

I have asked whether it might be possible to add an alternative to use a good/official repository instead of the ancient compiling fom source but so far that option has not been added.

Also, adding something like mod_security for nginx does not work. I have added it to all non-DA servers but not for DA ones. There are similar reports from others and no success stories. Then, if one needs any changes to a particular apache/nginx virtual host file it might be doable but needs careful planning/testing/hacking. The current system is as flexible as a frozen steel bar.

The development of the backend has stagnated to something which is a reminder of the old days. From what I see they are finally doing something to the front end which has really been a thing of the distant past. As for other problems there are too many of them to report here.

We currently only use DA on one server adding new users/domains and administering email accounts. We will very probably move all domains to another server with no DA.

How are we doing things now then? We have an in-house alternative with less clutter and full support for repositories plus no "reseller" alternative (we do not need it).

• ^ I'm also finding it a bit cumbersome. Only the occasional EasyApache modifications in cPanel causes that platform extended processing. DA's recompile for everything does seem to be excessive, IMO.

• The compile everything in CustomBuild is probably (this is my opinion) born out the fact that DirectAdmin supports multiple Linux distributions (and FreeBSD?)

You can't really use a yum repository on a Debian based OS. So you have to go down to the least common denominator... compiling.

Probably the best thing going forward would be to focus on a single distribution or distribution type (probably RHEL/CentOS since that's commonly what's used in the web hosting industry). But DirectAdmin has been around for so long, to do that, would risk alienating those that run DirectAdmin on Debian or FreeBSD (does anybody use FreeBSD these days?), so it's definitely a slippery slope.

Compiling everything isn't a huge issue for me... except for PHP. PHP is the one thing that you know is going to have a new update released about once a month. Apache, Exim, Dovecot, MySQL/MariaDB? ... I don't think those are updated all that often (but maybe I'm wrong). Still, as others have alluded to - compiling does present potential issues should some error be encountered mid-compile. You don't really have that with packaged binaries.

I do think it would be a good idea for DirectAdmin to shift their focus onto a single distribution type (i.e. RHEL/CentOS) ... but somehow still keep support for Debian (or whatever is left). And shift CustomBuild for that focused distribution type over to packaged binaries.

Having said all of that. I don't think it's all that difficult to setup the Remi repository on RHEL/CentOS based servers and adjust your templates and hooks to accommodate to use PHP from that repository (at least with php-fpm, can't speak for other PHP-to-web interfacing). The main downside is, /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build versions is still going to complain about PHP being out of date, despite the Remi PHP binaries being updated. But you just have to know this and act upon it accordingly.

• @DA_Mark said:

@shakensoul said:

Ticket #18494 submitted.

I'll put a tech on it right now. Whether you are happy or not, feel free to keep this thread updated on how it progresses.

Thanks. The ticket was promptly attended and a fix provided. The backup seems to be working now and transferring to remote FTP server successfully.

• I was going to post a guide on how you might utilize the Remi repository for RPM PHP in DirectAdmin - but that got caught up in the captcha system here on LET.

So I posted it on the DirectAdmin forums, but I thought I'd like to it here since there seems to be at least a few people with concerns about DirectAdmin's compile everything approach.

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58605&p=300155

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2019

Not sure how possible this would be:

https://i.imgur.com/UJvn0wI.png

In cPanel as a reseller you can easily jump between users/etc from a drop down. This dropdown shows when you're logged in as yourself, or even logged in as a user.

I'm not sure where you could put this (maybe make it a right side plugin/applet thingy?).

Francisco

Thanked by 2MichaelCee Limpan
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited August 2019

@mkv said:
    I am a long-timer DA user (since 2008, I believe). Now we have only one DA server left and for a reason (or several reasons, actually). I know pretty much about it and I have to say it used to be pretty good - ten years ago.

The web stuff (Apache/Nginx, PHP, Exim, Dovecot, FTP servers etc) is in installed using the horrible CustomBuild system. That means you have to compile each piece of software from source and it is, of course dead slow. Moreover, the build will crash every now and then. Been there. On low end servers you might hit the RAM limit. I have one server that would run perfectly in 512 MB to run but due to CustomBuild I have had to upgrade the server to 2 GB. To install any PHP monthly upgrades, for example, you have to sit next to the SSH terminal for fifteen minutes each month to see that everything goes OK. The GUI does not help you a bit.

I have asked whether it might be possible to add an alternative to use a good/official repository instead of the ancient compiling fom source but so far that option has not been added.

Also, adding something like mod_security for nginx does not work. I have added it to all non-DA servers but not for DA ones. There are similar reports from others and no success stories. Then, if one needs any changes to a particular apache/nginx virtual host file it might be doable but needs careful planning/testing/hacking. The current system is as flexible as a frozen steel bar.

The development of the backend has stagnated to something which is a reminder of the old days. From what I see they are finally doing something to the front end which has really been a thing of the distant past. As for other problems there are too many of them to report here.

We currently only use DA on one server adding new users/domains and administering email accounts. We will very probably move all domains to another server with no DA.

How are we doing things now then? We have an in-house alternative with less clutter and full support for repositories plus no "reseller" alternative (we do not need it).

Compiling gives you the ability to run on the latest software when it is releases vs to relay on the mercy of your repo provider

Fresh example Netflix disclose the new http2.0 vulnerabilities at 13 th
    https://github.com/Netflix/security-bulletins/blob/master/advisories/third-party/2019-002.md

... Apache relases 2.4.41 and in the early hours of 15th I recompiled my DA Apaches to 2.4.41 folowed by Nginx fix and then by Litespeed 5.4.1 https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-server/release-log on 16th early hours

today is 17th the mega ultra premium cPanel ... 82.0.9 Recommended by them Release Tier
    No packages marked for update
    Server Version: Apache/2.4.39 (cPanel)

Definetly what a premium software cPanel is ... they even deserve more money.... 0.20 per account is too low ...

P.S. I do not used DA in May but I'm almost sure the situation was the same with the Exim vulnerability
    giving a nice edge to security with compiling and DA...

Also I do not think DirectAdmin should focus on one distro and specially RHEL/Cenos is outdated distro if you want some new packages your option are ... strange repos over the internet relaying on their mercy to compile on time or compiling yourself manually and taking care for its updates every time (or DirectAdmin doing the job for you) Example Curl ...

plus I want to run services on 5.0 kernel I use RH/Centos distor as it is what is used for hosting... If Cloud Linux release Debian Edition I'll run servers on it (and they relased only RH bases distro) as what their cPanel target market was using initially...