Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• @Francisco said:

@lowfatgeek said:
    any ETA when will you launch the DA shared/reseller plans?

Me? Resellers are already posted.

If you have a reseller in Vegas you can use the promo code CPANELLIKESNICKELBACK for 3 free months.

Francisco

Is it possible to convert my current cpanel into direct admin reseller?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yokowasis said:

@Francisco said:

@lowfatgeek said:

If you have a reseller in Vegas you can use the promo code CPANELLIKESNICKELBACK for 3 free months.

Francisco

Is it possible to convert my current cpanel into direct admin reseller?

You can log a ticket and we can move you if you want.

Imports may need a bit of mangling to fix them up but yeah.

Francisco

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

The new theme looks great!

I was just wondering if anyone knew what features were being implemented yet??

Also any news on JetBackup?? It’s very quiet over on their board?

• @Francisco said:

cimaserver said: Do the directadmin resellers have the Spanish language?

Only english I think. I'll see if I can find a language pack :)

Francisco

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=56902

• @MikePT said:
    I can have Sara design the icons to be morr stylish and without the colors. I will see what we can come up with, whats the file format?

Icons are in svg format. If you just want the new icons set, it’s possible to so this even without a subtheme :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:
    I can have Sara design the icons to be morr stylish and without the colors. I will see what we can come up with, whats the file format?

Icons are in svg format. If you just want the new icons set, it’s possible to so this even without a subtheme :)

Awesome, thanks :)

• smtalk said: I guess he might have been waiting for sub-theming to be announced https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58500&p=299418#post299418

Looks good. But i suggest to replace the default icons, the current ones remind me somehow on a comic.

• Cpanel don't like Pantera?

• SnowStylezSnowStylez Member
    edited August 2019

my idea was that you could integrate your advertising ;) .. (e.g. for Free Hoster ,, well)
    and
    (Reseller Paket/Hosting)

• @Francisco said:

@lowfatgeek said:

Francisco

Sweet! Didn't notice it available in the order page. One question tho, pricing is similar to cPanel reseller plans. Any key advantages making DA plans better than cPanel ones?

Thanks, you rock!

lowfatgeek said: Sweet! Didn't notice it available in the order page. One question tho, pricing is similar to cPanel reseller plans. Any key advantages making DA plans better than cPanel ones?

Thanks, you rock!

Well, on DA you aren't paying a per-user price.

I'm not sure what I want to do. There's some discussion about bumping resources on the resellers with a minor price bump up. Given people are already complaining about paying more I don't think I'll do that though.

Francisco

edited August 2019

Looks like JetBackup has a stand-alone Linux product in beta, way work with directadmin?

https://www.jetbackup.com/jetbackup-for-linux/

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • KrisKris Member

smtalk said: I guess he might have been waiting for sub-theming to be announced https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58500&p=299418#post299418

This.

I poked around a week or two including some time on vacation and was having a hell of a time getting the vue-js front-end dev area setup. It was well setup but I admittedly would have had a theme that would have been out of date with new Evolution features, and they let me know this was around the corner.

Any work I will do will be based upon the supporte sub-theming, so I am not releasing an out of date theme in lieu of a nicer look.

Also looks like the icons are easier to work with now which should make theme easier to switch out.

Not gonna lie, having a bit more of a learning curve getting to DA from cPanel, but that's more from my lack of time, and trying to take on all 3 sections at once.

Going to be focusing on the 'Client' section at first, and basing it on the newly available sub-theme schema so I'm not releasing old code from the get go, wouldn't feel right.

Thanked by 2eva2000 ITLabs
  • I tried to skim through this thread and see what all was being suggested. A few things that would be important to me.

• The ability to do pretty much everything from the CLI. As a server administrator, I am much more CLI than GUI. Logging into the WHM in cPanel just to do a task is mind-numbing. Especially when you have 40 to 60 servers to do this on. Being able to push this out via a CLI or CLI script via SSH, can take a task that takes 2 hours to complete via GUI logins to be done in 30 seconds with SSH CLI scripting.

• For backups - I have to admit I haven't looked at this in-depth with DirectAdmin - but being able to split a backup into individual parts would be useful. On cPanel I make extensive use of the --skiphomedir parameter to pkgacct when creating daily backups. I just need the portion of the backup that is necessary to re-create the account. Being able to rsync the account's home directory independently saves a ton of time. For the most part, an account's home directory isn't going to change a lot from day to day. Mostly mail is what is going to change. I think it's rather stupid to package up the account's home directory every single night - when I can just rsync it to a different location, to keep a backup of that directory.

For the most part this works extremely well for me in cPanel. Package up each cPanel account, exclude the home directory, creates smaller .tar backup files and finishes up faster. Then rsync each cPanel account's home directory... makes for a pretty quick backup. The main hurdle being that if an account has a large database, but those are few and far between. I've thought about skipping mysql in the pkgacct and independently dumping databases and rsyncing them... but you're still going to have to dump the databases, so I'm not sure if there is a lot of saving there.

On restores, I simply restore the backup package, delete the home directory that it creates, and copy over my backup of the home directory into it's place.

For the most part in DirectAdmin you can accomplish this if you create a copy of your directadmin.conf and modify/add some skip_in_backup flags and then specify that copy of directadmin.conf in your call to dataskq when running a backup process. This underscores one of the good things about DirectAdmin, you can pretty much do what you set your mind to, but perhaps there's improvements that can make this a bit more eloquent?

Obviously this does not work for end-users who are generating their own backup. They are going to want a backup of everything. But for admin level backups, being able to split things up like this could have huge advantages.

• Compiling everything. I'm just not a huge fan of this. More so with PHP than anything else, since that's going to be something that has to be updated about once a month. That means you're going to be recompiling all of your PHP versions about once a month. I installed the remi repository on my test CentOS 7 box and was able to install php71, php72, and php73 with relative ease. Then write my own systemd service file for a php-fpm master pool using these remi installed php binaries. Use some custom work with the pre/post user_create and domain_create hooks, with some modified virtualhost templates... and you have PHP running for each VirtualHost through these remi PHPs.

While I understand compiling has advantages for some (and specifically the Remi repo won't work if you're using Debian) but should consideration be done to perhaps offload CustomBuild's compiling to be handled by RPMs or packaged binaries? Perhaps add an option to CustomBuild for PHP to tell it to use the Remi repository instead of compiling when installing/updating PHP? Could similar options be put in place for Apache? And other services? I think this would potentially greatly reduce the install times and would definitely help when software updates are available.

Those are just a few of the things I have noticed. Nothing completely earth shattering, but just where I can see where some improvements could potentially be made.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • Have a nice day,

The best feature of the Directadmin panel is that it has a customizable structure. If a personalized design is made for Cpanel / WHM, the end user will not feel much. However, when we present this interface directly, some of the users try to get used to it and some switch to different companies.

Thanks,

moderncloudhosting said: Have a nice day,

The best feature of the Directadmin panel is that it has a customizable structure. If a personalized design is made for Cpanel / WHM, the end user will not feel much. However, when we present this interface directly, some of the users try to get used to it and some switch to different companies.

Thanks,

The new 'traditional' theme feels very cpanel esque.

People can move all they want but pretty much everyone is going to raise rates short them paying a lot and the host just absorbs it.

If my users were all paying me a minimum of $10/m I'd just eat it too.

Francisco

• More thoughts after a night's rest:

• I see the discussion about the DirectAdmin Lite licensing and number of accounts/domains. I don't really have a preference here. I don't really see where a Lite version is going to benefit our company that much. But I do see where there appears to be a ton of confusion over "account" and "domain" and maybe your definition is different than mine.

To me an "account" refers to a Linux username. A username that is listed in the server-wide passwd file (apparently I can't say what). That is 1 account. Now, by default DirectAdmin and all of the other control panels require that every "account" have at least 1 "domain" attached to it. That's certainly understandable... since it's web hosting.

An "account" would have panel access. If you have an "account" with 50 domains attached to it, there's still only 1 panel access username.

I just think a distinction needs to be made with the Lite version are you limiting it by "accounts", or by "domains", or both? I don't have a problem with any way this is done. Up to 5 "accounts" with unlimited domains? 1 "account" with up to 5 domains? I suppose a distinction would also need to be made if a "subdomain" is considered the same thing as a "domain"? I really just think a clarification needs to be made between an "account" and a "domain" or "subdomain" or (perhaps the more accurate term) "virtualhost".

• Regarding domains in DirectAdmin. I would somewhat like to see the "Domain Pointer" deprecated. Although, this can be accomplished by server administrators by adding CMD_DOMAIN_POINTER to never_commands in directadmin.conf.

Domain Pointers work by adding the domain name (and it's www. variant) to the ServerAlias section of the parent VirtualHost entry. This was all fine and dandy before SSL/TLS everywhere became a thing.

Today with Let's Encrypt and SSL/TLS everywhere, when a domain name is added to the ServerAlias directive of a VirtualHost... then the secure certificate for that VirtualHost has be re-issued to include or remove that domain name - otherwise the certificate for that VirtualHost is going to be invalid for that domain name.

Consider a scenario where a VirtualHost entry looks like:

<VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:443>
    ServerName example1.tld
    ServerAlias www.example1.tld
    DocumentRoot /home/example/public_html
    SSLCertificateFile /path/to/example1.tld_secure_certificate.crt # (this would be valid for example1.tld and www.example1.tld)
    </VirtualHost>

Now you add a Domain Pointer:

ServerName example1.tld
    ServerAlias www.example1.tld domainpointer1.tld www.domainpointer1.tld
    DocumentRoot /home/example/public_html
    SSLCertificateFile /path/to/example1.tld_secure_certificate.crt # (this would be valid for example1.tld and www.example1.tld - not for domainpointer1.tld www.domainpointer1.tld unless it is re-issued)
    </VirtualHost>

And you have to re-issue the certificate to include example1.tld www.example1.tld domainpointer1.tld www.domainpointer1.tld.

Also what happens when the individual purchases a secure certificate for example1.tld and www.example1.tld? That purchased certificate won't apply for domainpointer1.tld and www.domainpointer1.tld.

Why not just create a new domain (Account Manager -> Domain Setup -> Add New) and either specify the same DocumentRoot or create a symlink to the parent path? This will create a new VirtualHost entry:

ServerName domainpointer1.tld
    ServerAlias www.domainpointer1.tld
    DocumentRoot /home/example/domains/domainpointer1.tld/public_html
    SSLCertificateFile /path/to/domainpointer1.tld_secure_certificate.crt # (this would be valid for domainpointer1.tld and www.domainpointer1.tld)
    </VirtualHost>

And just create a symlink, linking /home/example/domains/domainpointer1.tld/public_html -> /home/example/public_html

Now you don't have to worry with certificate reissuance. You also don't have to worry about CN mismatches if the user purchases a secure certificate for one of the domain names.

The functionality of adding domain names to the ServerAlias directive was really more or less abused in the past, but didn't really become an issue until SSL/TLS everywhere started to become a thing. I'm sure adding VirtualHost containers for multiple domain names like this would increase memory usage... but this isn't exactly the 80s are we really going to haggle over 64k of memory here and there?

This would probably be difficult for DirectAdmin to remove since it's been built in there since it's inception (?). This is an issue that also hounds cPanel as well, so it's not just a DirectAdmin issue. But I thought bringing this to light before everyone catches the DirectAdmin train might be beneficial.

And like I said, DirectAdmin allows for customization of things like this - so it's easy enough for me to fix on our servers by just adding CMD_DOMAIN_POINTER to never_commands

Thanked by 1webmaster24
  • @Francisco said:

moderncloudhosting said: Have a nice day,

Thanks,

The new 'traditional' theme feels very cpanel esque.

People can move all they want but pretty much everyone is going to raise rates short them paying a lot and the host just absorbs it.

If my users were all paying me a minimum of $10/m I'd just eat it too.

Francisco

Have a nice day,

You're right about that. This is an additional burden for both us and the end user. For customers with whom we provide a VDS / VPS license, keeping an account creates a different workload. Currently the best solution is directadmin. It is now very good in terms of stability and functionality. We realized our plans to move our Shared Hosting and VDS / VPS customers to Directadmin. Initially, we think that all our users will get used to the panel, even if it is difficult. We hope that directadmin will continue with this price policy.

Best Regards,

• Bulk creation of accounts / "addon" domains is the only thing I really need. For some cases I rather start fresh than importing cpmove files.

• Purchased a reseller account to test from @Francisco today . DA has a fairly rudimentary interface as compared to CP, but hopefully, many of the suggestions throughout this thread will be implemented in some future versions of DA.

Not sure if this a bug or I am missing a flag in the settings somewhere?

In List / Modify accounts", click on any existing user.

On the user page, about 3/4 to the bottom is "Resend Welcome E-Mail>>Send To:" field which lists the user's email address - but it also lists my personal email address that I signed up the account with from Buyshared. For example:
    [email protected], [email protected]

Not saying this is a Buyshared issue at all, but what is the reasoning for DA populating that field with an email address that should have nothing to do with DA?

Anyone else experience this?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2019

Weblogics said: On the user page, about 3/4 to the bottom is "Resend Welcome E-Mail>>Send To:" field which lists the user's email address - but it also lists my personal email address that I signed up the account with from Buyshared. For example:

Log in to the admin panel, go to the drop-down in the top right and select messages, then click on the options link. Uncheck the box to copy you in on all messages.

Actually, I miss-read, thought it was messages, not emails.

When restoring backups it could do with a progress bar... also it could do with picking up the new nameservers.

• @experttechit said:
    When restoring backups it could do with a progress bar... also it could do with picking up the new nameservers.

Might be silly question but did you change the backup/restore setting to use local nameservers option rather than NS in backup file?

• @Francisco said:

lowfatgeek said: Sweet! Didn't notice it available in the order page. One question tho, pricing is similar to cPanel reseller plans. Any key advantages making DA plans better than cPanel ones?

Thanks, you rock!

Well, on DA you aren't paying a per-user price.

I'm not sure what I want to do. There's some discussion about bumping resources on the resellers with a minor price bump up. Given people are already complaining about paying more I don't think I'll do that though.

Francisco

Please do! Charge a little more. Bump up the resources. Need the speed!

• Question why does DirectAdmin default to installing an old version of MariaDB instead of the latest version?

@zafouhar said:
    Question why does DirectAdmin default to installing an old version of MariaDB instead of the latest version?

What's the MySQL equiv?

It's possible they're picking it to be in line with what cPanel ships.

cPanel ships 5.7 by default now.

Francisco

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2019

Been honest boyzzz... Everytime I decide "Im going to install DA" , I go to this super guide of @eva2000 and after seeing how long it is... I start wondering "man i could setup 3 cpanel servers and I'm going to still be installing and following this guide". It needs to be simplified (the DA).

I then start procrastinating and either install cPanel or maybe centminmod or just go full vanilla.

How has your setup experience been with DA? Lot's of manual pieces to do IMO.

• @Hxxx said:
    Been honest boyzzz... Everytime I decide "Im going to install DA" , I go to this super guide of @eva2000 and after seeing how long it is... I start wondering "man i could setup 3 cpanel servers and I'm going to still be installing and following this guide". It needs to be simplified (the DA).

I do agree, the installation process could use some improvements. That's why I'd like to see the adoption of RPMs or packaged binaries at least as an option. I understand that DirectAdmin is built on customization, so compiling everything is kind of at the core of that. But is there perhaps room for adding the ability to use packaged binaries instead of compiling if the server administrator so desires?

Customization appears to be the core of DirectAdmin. DirectAdmin isn't telling you how to run your web hosting company, they are just providing a tool so that real server administrators can configure their servers however they desire.

The downside here is... you can perform function X with DirectAdmin two dozen different ways. DirectAdmin can't necessarily offer hand-holding support for each of the two dozen methods.

cPanel used to be this way. But some where along the lines, 5 maybe 10 years ago, all of that changed. To do function X you have to do it THIS way. Then you get every web hosting company out of the wood works crying out "How do I do function X that way?" ... well, you click this button. And suddenly a world of web hosting company that really have no idea how hosting works (it's magic!) emerges. Which leads to "I'm going to offer completely absurd limits to my hosting for $0.02 per decade!"

... yea... it's bed time.

Thanked by 2Hxxx kkrajk
  • @zafouhar said:
    Question why does DirectAdmin default to installing an old version of MariaDB instead of the latest version?

I think It is installing the default for centos 7 if you do not modify options conf

• @sparek said:
    I tried to skim through this thread and see what all was being suggested. A few things that would be important to me.

• The ability to do pretty much everything from the CLI. As a server administrator, I am much more CLI than GUI. Logging into the WHM in cPanel just to do a task is mind-numbing. Especially when you have 40 to 60 servers to do this on. Being able to push this out via a CLI or CLI script via SSH, can take a task that takes 2 hours to complete via GUI logins to be done in 30 seconds with SSH CLI scripting.

• For backups - I have to admit I haven't looked at this in-depth with DirectAdmin - but being able to split a backup into individual parts would be useful. On cPanel I make extensive use of the --skiphomedir parameter to pkgacct when creating daily backups. I just need the portion of the backup that is necessary to re-create the account. Being able to rsync the account's home directory independently saves a ton of time. For the most part, an account's home directory isn't going to change a lot from day to day. Mostly mail is what is going to change. I think it's rather stupid to package up the account's home directory every single night - when I can just rsync it to a different location, to keep a backup of that directory.

For the most part this works extremely well for me in cPanel. Package up each cPanel account, exclude the home directory, creates smaller .tar backup files and finishes up faster. Then rsync each cPanel account's home directory... makes for a pretty quick backup. The main hurdle being that if an account has a large database, but those are few and far between. I've thought about skipping mysql in the pkgacct and independently dumping databases and rsyncing them... but you're still going to have to dump the databases, so I'm not sure if there is a lot of saving there.

On restores, I simply restore the backup package, delete the home directory that it creates, and copy over my backup of the home directory into it's place.

For the most part in DirectAdmin you can accomplish this if you create a copy of your directadmin.conf and modify/add some skip_in_backup flags and then specify that copy of directadmin.conf in your call to dataskq when running a backup process. This underscores one of the good things about DirectAdmin, you can pretty much do what you set your mind to, but perhaps there's improvements that can make this a bit more eloquent?

Obviously this does not work for end-users who are generating their own backup. They are going to want a backup of everything. But for admin level backups, being able to split things up like this could have huge advantages.

>

they are able to split how you want there is multiple check boxes what to backup and what not to backup ... and here is the remote home backup strategy witb borg backup https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58157