Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Anyone else having a pretty barebones UI under "Select PHP version" and "Resouce usage" options - but I guess this comes under the area/work of CloudLinux or ?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@SpeedBus said:
    Anyone else having a pretty barebones UI under "Select PHP version" and "Resouce usage" options - but I guess this comes under the area/work of CloudLinux or ?

Yep. CL.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I must say that Cloudlinux In cPanel is all pretty, in DA it’s a bit blah.... Maybe they may put a bit more into it now :)

It would be great to see DA grow with this.

It definitely needs more plugins thou.....

Especially an easy one for mail tracking

• @experttechit said:
    I must say that Cloudlinux In cPanel is all pretty, in DA it’s a bit blah.... Maybe they may put a bit more into it now :)

It would be great to see DA grow with this.

It definitely needs more plugins thou.....

Especially an easy one for mail tracking

CloudLinux already said they are working on it

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • @experttechit said:
    Any updates on more plugins like JetBackup/Acronis ??? These 2 really would be amazing..... :)

@experttechit said:
    Any updates on more plugins like JetBackup/Acronis ??? These 2 really would be amazing..... :)

I raised a ticket two days ago and they said:

Hello,

It is already planned to create DirectAdmin and StandAlone backup panels for Jetbackup.

But there is no ETA for the Jetbackup plugin availability in DirectAdmin.

however, you may want to vote and add feedback to the following feature request if you'd like to see this option
    https://request.jetapps.com/topic/make-a-fork-for-directadmin

Highest Regards,

So make sure to everyone who has jetbackup to raise a ticket on sales and sign up for the feature requests, the more requests and the more tickets the faster they will develop.

• AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

@DA_Mark what is the improvements DA are planning for the current time ? I really need to see something we can beat this greedy cpanel with it!

And migration options from cpanel servers to DA ?

• AndrewSSD said: And migration options from cpanel servers to DA ?

What do you mean?

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@Mic-hael said:

AndrewSSD said: And migration options from cpanel servers to DA ?

What do you mean?

Probably this:

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58059

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

I wish there is a GUI migration tool for DA like WHM transfer tools and doesn't require manual making, transfer, restoring the backups.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @Francisco said:

@sweatbar said:
    reseller hostname for direct admin would be a +1

What is this? What do you have in mind?

Francisco

Hi

I'm talking about setting hostnames for resellers so they can log in from there own URL.
    Creating an A RECORD did not help.

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=57520

I’d be interested to know the current road map for DA..... it would be nice to know.... @DA_Mark

To be fair the cPanel import isn’t too bad.... rename a file and upload it, or bulk upload and restore... it’s pretty easy.

If you try transferring from DA to cPanel using cPanel transfer tool... it took forever and broke sites I found.....

• I'll be honest, immediate roadmap (~2-3 weeks) is some very heavy back-end development, including changes to our licensing/updates system. After that, we can really go hard.

I am taking seriously requests like @Francisco to have a webmail/phpmyadmin SSO/autologin feature, and also vast improvements of our backup system. Especially one-click seamless system migrations. We have some incredible talent behind the scenes, and are willing to compete against those 3rd-party backup solutions, at least at a functional level.

As with any feature suggestion, don't be afraid to share how you envision using it. Forget the tech stuff -- that's our job. Just share how you want to see the feature, how to interact with it, and how it will work for you. Don't be afraid to say "I want to click on X, to make Y happen."

• Don't really have any suggestions but I like DA better than cpanel as is, new design is satisfying, ols works out of the box, and I run it on a 512mb slice for free from @Francisco no complaints.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

@lonea said:
    I wish there is a GUI migration tool for DA like WHM transfer tools and doesn't require manual making, transfer, restoring the backups.

Check the last paragraph of the DA migration topic guide https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58059

(connect cPanel server to DA one with keys)

Run on the cPanel

for user inls /var/cpanel/users/; do { /scripts/pkgacct ${user} /home/all_backups; rsync -avt /home/all_backups/cpmove-${user}.tar.gz root@your_directadmin_server.com:/home/admin/all_backups/cpmove-${user}.tar.gz; rm -f /home/all_backups/cpmove-${user}.tar.gz ; }; done

when some backups are already in you could run restore on them while others still coming in and when that is done, run the restore again and select the new ones that came in that time (It will get you pretty good Admin UI experince :) you just got to remember to where you restore last time )

P.S do not forgot to enable pigz for multi core system and set the cores both on cPanel (Tweaks) and DirectAdmin (custombuild and directadmin.conf)

https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1612

It will speed up the process

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:
    We have some incredible talent behind the scenes, and are willing to compete against those 3rd-party backup solutions, at least at a functional level.

As with any feature suggestion, don't be afraid to share how you envision using it. Forget the tech stuff -- that's our job. Just share how you want to see the feature, how to interact with it, and how it will work for you. Don't be afraid to say "I want to click on X, to make Y happen."

As you mention backup I really like how build in backup system integrates with Borg backup with 10 lines bash script (the cli strategy from the forum) It work fast ... If we have some sort of end user way to restore file or folder it will be superb and I'll even prefer that than jetbackup

How good I think it is even in current state ? (I'm doing dual Jetbackup backups on my cPanel servers / VMs to 2 different locations after testing your cli strategy I'm now thinking on how to redone my cPanel strategy to 1 JetBackup so end users can restore easy and second to be switched to similar strategy with Borg) ...

• Tr33nTr33n Member

Migrating from cPanel to DirectAdmin with less downtime would be awesome. While the cPanel backup is being created, data can be changed which will not be migrated.

Especially with online shops or large accounts, where a longer downtime is not feasible, this is problematic. It would be good if there would be a way to make an initial migration of the account first and then copy the changes.

Of course, there are ways to do it manually without long downtime, but an integrated function would be great.

Send backup direct from cPanel to new server and then suspend account and update ip

• @DA_Mark said:
    I'll be honest, immediate roadmap (~2-3 weeks) is some very heavy back-end development, including changes to our licensing/updates system. After that, we can really go hard.

I am taking seriously requests like @Francisco to have a webmail/phpmyadmin SSO/autologin feature, and also vast improvements of our backup system. Especially one-click seamless system migrations. We have some incredible talent behind the scenes, and are willing to compete against those 3rd-party backup solutions, at least at a functional level.

as @experttechit said, it would be nice to have like "transfer tool" in cPanel, the "express" method, this is how it would work.

1. Creates the account on DA.
    2. Sync the content
    3. Export/Import databases
    4. Changes DNS zone on cPanel server to point to the new DA Server IP.
    5. Same with the following account.

This way it wouldn't create downtime for the end user and would be easier to transfer. To be honest, this is the most important feature right now as I am thinking moving mid-august as cPanel prices will go up September 1st. I can wait for backups, as I can use a bash script to sync the /home directory and dump databases to external server in the mean time.

Also @DA_Mark it would be great if Select PHP Version would be on the main user section and not having to browse a lot to change the PHP version, you don't have to delete it from the actual site but in both ways it would be great.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited July 2019

DA_Mark said: vast improvements of our backup system

Please dont forget remote backups (Google drive / dropbox etc) at the user level ref - http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=57602

Thanked by 1MichaelCee

@Kris any news about the template? :P

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@DA_Mark main suggestion from me is look at implementing ccache compiler caching in your CustomBuild 2.0 compile routines. I just added DirectAdmin Apache and PHP-FPM CustomBuild timed benchmarks for with and without ccache compiler cache to step 14 of my DirectAdmin installation guide at https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/

TLDR is

• DirectAdmin Apache recompiles are 20-30% faster on just 1 cpu BuyVM VPS server !
    • DirectAdmin PHP-FPM recompiles for PHP 7.3 + 7.2 + 5.6 are 68-72% faster on just 1 cpu BuyVM VPS server !

Been using ccache for over 10+ yrs and use it all through my own LEMP stack builds - bloody awesome ^_^

• @MikePT said:

I guess he might have been waiting for sub-theming to be announced https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58500&p=299418#post299418 :smile:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

I guess he might have been waiting for sub-theming to be announced https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58500&p=299418#post299418 :smile:

He hasnt logged in for a month, hope everything is ok with him.

Thats a nice release. I will probably develop one too really soon!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

Love it.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

Love it.

Francisco

Would like the option to switch to left menu. ;)

I can have Sara design the icons to be morr stylish and without the colors. I will see what we can come up with, whats the file format?

• any ETA when will you launch the DA shared/reseller plans?

@lowfatgeek said:
    any ETA when will you launch the DA shared/reseller plans?

Me? Resellers are already posted.

If you have a reseller in Vegas you can use the promo code CPANELLIKESNICKELBACK for 3 free months.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@lowfatgeek said:
    any ETA when will you launch the DA shared/reseller plans?

Me? Resellers are already posted.

If you have a reseller in Vegas you can use the promo code CPANELLIKESNICKELBACK for 3 free months.

Francisco

Do the directadmin resellers have the Spanish language?

cimaserver said: Do the directadmin resellers have the Spanish language?

Only english I think. I'll see if I can find a language pack :)

Francisco