Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

    Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

    Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

    FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider
    edited July 1 in General

    As we're all trying to recover from the cPanel sticker shock, DirectAdmin has been making improvements to their panel to help ease the transition for people.

    The latest updates are to the new Evolution UI, adding an "icon grid" option to give users a more "cPanel" feel to things.

    Admin: https://i.imgur.com/lvmjSQd.png
    Resellers: https://i.imgur.com/SpH5TfL.png
    Users: https://i.imgur.com/xvXKc1t.png

    In their latest beta feed they've also integrated a cPanel importer so you just have to drop your cpmove files into a specific folder and it's done.

    The icons for sure need to be changed to something more fitting (they feel a little Windows 95'ish), but I think it's a push in the right direction. No, the cPanel icons are trademarked to cPanel, using them will get you a C&D.

    What else do you think DA needs to change to make a migration from cPanel to DirectAdmin better?

    Remember, DA doesn't have control over JetBackup or other 3rd party plugins.

    Francisco

    BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    «13456718

    Comments

    • key900key900 Member, Provider

      it looks good!

      *LetBox.Com Make it Simple, Dallas & Los Angeles - Pure NVMe + Block Storage Boxes!. Discord Community https://discord.gg/g6dqjmm
    • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

      i might jus nut on directadmin

      lurking in the shadows like a wombat or some shit

    • mlcmlc Member

      The introduction of comic elements and seems to be more suitable for young people.

      VPS Promo: https://vpsname.com
      VPS Worldwide Locations Collection: https://loc.vpsname.com

    • 404error404error Member

      (1) Make sure the migration from cPanel to DA is flawless.
      (1.a) Ability to resync files after migration to make sure all changes to DB and new email received by the old cPanel server during the DNS update are caught and migrated as well.
      (2) Get a confirmation from JetBackup and they are working on it
      (3) Roll out the new panel asap as it seems to be a concern to so many hosters, which I frankly dont' get it .. but meh.

      Thanked by 1Shazan
    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

      404error said: (1.a) Ability to resync files after migration to make sure all changes to DB and new email received by the old cPanel server during the DNS update are caught and migrated as well.

      This would be a tough one. Does cPanel even do that? When we did our hardware rebuilds we simply suspended websites, that way there was no changes registered. It may have freaked some users out, but the only time we had issues was when someone was screwing with their DNS.

      Francisco

      Thanked by 3eva2000 jvnadr LowVM
      BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
      BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    • williewillie Member

      I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

      Thanked by 1Ympker

      #lexit spread the word.

    • 404error404error Member

      @Francisco said:

      404error said: (1.a) Ability to resync files after migration to make sure all changes to DB and new email received by the old cPanel server during the DNS update are caught and migrated as well.

      This would be a tough one. Does cPanel even do that? When we did our hardware rebuilds we simply suspended websites, that way there was no changes registered. It may have freaked some users out, but the only time we had issues was when someone was screwing with their DNS.

      Francisco

      Yes. Or I have been lied too for many... many moons.

    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider
      edited July 1

      @willie said:
      I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

      Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking. They have a designer/graphics person, but I figured I'd lend them a hand with a thread to try to get public feedback.

      Francisco

      Thanked by 1mrTom
      BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
      BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    • stephfd21stephfd21 Member

      An option to edit the php.ini file on the dashboard for admin/resellers would be nice.

      Thanked by 1Francisco
    • ITLabsITLabs Member

      Icons are stored in a SVG sprite (/assets/img/icons.svg). Pretty easy to customize.

      #lexit | FatPal - Official LET payment gateway

    • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider

      They are doing a good job, and thanks to you for helping them to make DA a better product

      Thanked by 2ITLabs Francisco

      hostEONS - SSD KVM &OpenvZ VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | VPS Locations: Los Angeles (Psychz and Internap), New York (Internap) | Free Blesta License | Latest Offer

    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

      @stephfd21 said:
      An option to edit the php.ini file on the dashboard for admin/resellers would be nice.

      Supposedly this can be done in the admin panel. Maybe they can see about doing it for end users too :)

      Francisco

      BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
      BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    • hammadhammad Member
      edited July 1

      I dont know about other people but
      It is much complicated to install.
      Custom builds and every package
      And if you want to change from apache to nginx
      I guess there is again shell usage.
      Edit : also there themeing system was also complicated
      Diffrent theme for end users . Different for resellers and admin. And if you have to Install it again shell involved

    • corbpiecorbpie Member

      Make shared hosting great again

      grape

    • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
      edited July 1
      1. DA should include a "site builder" like cpanel has or add it with Softaculous, plus one-click Wordpress is a must.

      2. AutoSSL like feature for novice users who can't use let'sEncrypt

      3. Multi PHP selector AND PHP-feature selector (like opcache, brotli) on account/domain basis

      4. CPU load average indicators like WHM into DA "reseller panel"

      5. Increase the 'font-size' of all the headers and text in ALL their skins. It's too tiny size.

      6. Breadcrumb navigation up to the last page. So I've created a database, it has a 'back' button which takes me to 'previous' page (again to create a database) but not directly to the 'Home' or page where main icons are shown. So this should be added to save time and click on 'back' 'back' 'back' grey-buttons!

      7. I didn't find "ModSecurity" toggle on/off feature, though their site shows they support it.

      8. Perl/Pear packages - directory and installation.

      9. jailed-ssh/Terminal to install scripts directly/ move backups etc.

      10. CPU/RAM/Inode usage per 10 mins/1 hour/1day (similar graphs or statistic table like cpanel displays under "CPU and Concurrent Usage") feature. It should also include I/O, Entry Processes, Total Number of Processes. Right now I could only find INODES number display. Also, CPU, RAM, EP, should be displayed on the main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side. Right now only inode is displayed along with disk and bandwidth.

      11. The 'File Manager' page where actual editing/uploads are done should have link to 'home' page. There is a small icon which opens 'Navigation' icons but there's no link to go to main page.

      12. IP blocker where i can add IP addresses/Range to block

      13. Domain Alias

      14. Raw access logs/raw visitor logs AND Latest 1000 Visitors display with IP address and User-agent display inside Stats page. I couldn't find it inside Site Summary/Stats icon.

      15. Display shared/dedicated IP address of the server on User panel on main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side.

      Thanked by 1postcd

      Have a great day! Recommended: Namecheap | Godaddy | Cloudflare | AWS | Google Cloud | Ramnode VPS | BuyVM | OVH | Hetzner lowendtalk.com godaddy namecheap bluehost cpanel hosting shared hosting vps hosting dedicated servers coupons coupon codes promo codes deals offers renewal coupon KVM VPS OpenVZ cloud VPS directadmin reseller hosting master reseller OVH hetzner email support phone contact ramnode serverhub cloudflare google cloud amazon aws domain name registration transfer renewal

    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider
      edited July 1

      @Sofia_K said:
      1. DA should include a "site builder" like cpanel has or add it with Softaculous, plus one-click Wordpress is a must.

      Site builders are always a pain. Truth be told i've never used one for a client and I've only had a couple ask.

      1. AutoSSL like feature for novice users who can't use let'sEncrypt

      DA already supports LE, so I guess it just needs a 'autossl' like cron that auto walks domains?

      1. Multi PHP selector AND PHP-feature selector (like opcache, brotli) on account/domain basis

      It has a PHP selector but no on/off options. To be fair, cPanel's 'multiPHP' doesnt let you turn on/off things either. Cloudlinux provides both either way.

      1. CPU load average indicators like WHM into DA "reseller panel"

      Seems simple enough :)

      1. Increase the 'font-size' of all the headers and text in ALL their skins. It's too tiny size.

      >

      1. Breadcrumb navigation up to the last page. So I've created a database, it has a 'back' button which takes me to 'previous' page (again to create a database) but not directly to the 'Home' or page where main icons are shown. So this should be added to save time and click on 'back' 'back' 'back' grey-buttons!

      2. I didn't find "ModSecurity" toggle on/off feature, though their site shows they support it.

      3. Perl/Pear packages - directory and installation.

      >

      1. jailed-ssh/Terminal to install scripts directly/ move backups etc.

      SSH likely already works, but for public shared people should be using CageFS anyway.

      1. CPU/RAM/Inode usage per 10 mins/1 hour/1day (similar graphs or statistic table like cpanel displays under "CPU and Concurrent Usage") feature. It should also include I/O, Entry Processes, Total Number of Processes. Right now I could only find INODES number display. Also, CPU, RAM, EP, should be displayed on the main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side. Right now only inode is displayed along with disk and bandwidth.

      These are cloudlinux things though. cPanel doesn't include this, this is entirely on CL.

      1. The 'File Manager' page where actual editing/uploads are done should have link to 'home' page. There is a small icon which opens 'Navigation' icons but there's no link to go to main page.

      Good call.

      1. IP blocker where i can add IP addresses/Range to block

      Does cPanel allow this? Maybe through cpHulk it allows this? Supposedly CSF is working on better integration.

      1. Domain Alias

      Good one if it's not there.

      1. Raw access logs/raw visitor logs AND Latest 1000 Visitors display with IP address and User-agent display inside Stats page. I couldn't find it inside Site Summary/Stats icon.

      2. Display shared/dedicated IP address of the server on User panel on main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side.

      Another good one!

      Keep 'em coming, I'm sure the DA dev's are following this all.

      Francisco

      Thanked by 3kkrajk Sofia_K ITLabs
      BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
      BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    • williewillie Member

      Francisco said: Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking

      OK fine, but (maybe in another thread) I hope we can do something similar for the FOSS packages. I've never used DA myself so while I'm sure it's great, I don't have specific comments about it. If I can ask for one thing I hope they do a better job with security than cPanel has been doing.

      #lexit spread the word.

    • LTnigerLTniger Member
      1. I wish that DA had more extensive DNS system with PowerDNS support. Current edition is not enough to compare with cPanel's "Advanced Edit" of DNS records and DNS server selection.

      2. Native remote (S)FTP backup support per client/reseller

      3. More examples on API documentation

      Wordpress Hosting - Home made!

    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

      LTniger said: Native remote (S)FTP backup support per client/reseller

      You mean like how in cPanel a user can trigger a 'create backup' job and it stores it to their home directory or a remote host?

      Francisco

      BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
      BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    • RedSoxRedSox Member

      Add Webmoney please.

    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

      @RedSox said:
      Add Webmoney please.

      So you can buy from DirectAdmin's website? Or are you saying that for me?

      Francisco

      BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
      BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    • experttechitexperttechit Member, Provider

      This looks pretty good... be glad to stop lining the pockets of cPanel

    • RedSoxRedSox Member
      edited July 1

      Francisco said: So you can buy from DirectAdmin's website? Or are you saying that for me?

      I've been asking you for about a month to add the ability to pay for your products via Webmoney. Still have no answer. Do you plan to add this ability in the near future or not? Thanks.

    • LeeLee Member

      Any resellers doing cheap DA licences? I just want to do some live testing to make sure the API is doing what I expect then I will sign up with DA to get them. Don't use WHMCS or anything like that so need to code it all from scratch.

      It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

    • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider
      edited July 1

      For me really while I sit here with DA in 1 tab and WHM in the other and go through it item by item it is not that DA does not 'cover it' it is that in almost every element it is just that little bit more basic in DA.

      I really don't mean for this to sound lazy or negative, but if it does then I hope it is at least taken in the spirit of good intentions and feedback from an actual user.

      For example as I do not think a huge exhaustive list of 300 points of feedback from me will help.

      Take a close look at both these images.

      DNS admin:

      WHM
      image

      DA
      image

      WHM is clear, leaves me with no doubt on where to find what i want while DA seems like a basic version that leaves me hunting, yes I know I can perform any of the functions via cli but this is not what I buy a panel for.

      Now I have not added the new skin to DA yet but I don't see why a skin would add features, I will add the skin now though just in case.

      Thanked by 2luper769 postcd

      Had enough of the scams on lowendbox, lowendtalk is now being infiltrated by corruption so I have chosen to make an low end exit #lexit for now - you can find me HERE

    • LeeLee Member

      AnthonySmith said: For me really while I sit here with DA in 1 tab and WHM in the other and go through it item by item it is not that DA does not 'cover it' it is that in almost every element it is just that little bit more basic in DA.

      I completely agree, that sums it up really, but dare I say it, the pricing of cPanel now reflects the difference :)

      It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

    • The last time I used DA, I guess it was 2010 and panel was looking sth like this.

      Looking at what Fran posted, Now they seem to have improved the outlook A LOT!!! Minor changes can be done but I believe this is a usable panel and nice alternative. If Frantech (which I am a long time customer) or any other reliable/well known provider decides to burn the ships and leave the port of cPanel, I will be supportive. During the transition period, minor problems and UIX difficulties may occur on both provider and user sides. However in the end, I believe this will lead to a more competitive and well balanced market.

      Thanked by 2hostdare ITLabs
    • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider

      @DreamCaster said:

      If Frantech (which I am a long time customer) or any other reliable/well known provider decides to burn the ships and leave the port of cPanel, I will be supportive.

      I'm sure most of the Low End Providers are going to switch to DA unless they don't want to serve the Low end market anymore, even we will be soon switching to DA, but we will be waiting at least for another 1-2 months before doing that (hoping some new and better features are added to DA or may be cPanel is able to get their head straight), till then we will just bare the cPanel License costs

      hostEONS - SSD KVM &OpenvZ VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | VPS Locations: Los Angeles (Psychz and Internap), New York (Internap) | Free Blesta License | Latest Offer

    • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider

      Lee said: but dare I say it, the pricing of cPanel now reflects the difference

      Yeah I was thinking about this, but really cpanel is not changed that much since I ran it in 2011 in terms of its base.

      With that said, i cant wait to see how DA responds and all signs are highly positive.

      Thanked by 3Lee ITLabs Mic-hael

      Had enough of the scams on lowendbox, lowendtalk is now being infiltrated by corruption so I have chosen to make an low end exit #lexit for now - you can find me HERE

    • I always appreciate the cPanel/WHM Apache status, where one can see at a glance which user sites are being accessed, down to page served level. It makes spotting rogue crawlers, for example, much easier.

      Thanked by 1postcd

      Support open-source, go on, you know you want to.

      Long live LowEndInfo.com

    • LeeLee Member

      AnthonySmith said: but really cpanel is not changed that much since I ran it in 2011 in terms of its base.

      Agreed, it does make me wonder why other panels appear to be struggling to match the functionality or have we just been completely spoiled by everything cPanel has put in.

      It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

    • KwoonKwoon Member

      I like the icons

    • coolicecoolice Member

      @AnthonySmith said:

      Lee said: but dare I say it, the pricing of cPanel now reflects the difference

      Yeah I was thinking about this, but really cpanel is not changed that much since I ran it in 2011 in terms of its base.

      With that said, i cant wait to see how DA responds and all signs are highly positive.

      I can even say that if it i'snt the change from EA3 to EA4 (which is something they should do as it allows auto updates to apache builds) for host that use LS only other changes are just trying to copy with not the same quality what best plugins for their panel do (Backups from Jetbackup and now node.js and ruby selector)

      OpenVz Node + KernelCare uptime - 1275 Days :)

    • LTnigerLTniger Member

      @Francisco said:

      LTniger said: Native remote (S)FTP backup support per client/reseller

      You mean like how in cPanel a user can trigger a 'create backup' job and it stores it to their home directory or a remote host?

      Francisco

      Correct.

      Wordpress Hosting - Home made!

    • LTnigerLTniger Member

      Plot twist: DA devs seeing urgent surge on their panel increase price up to 49 USD per server...

      Wordpress Hosting - Home made!

    • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider
      edited July 1

      LTniger said: Plot twist: DA devs seeing urgent surge on their panel increase price up to 49 USD per server...

      That would be fine, a lot better than the $250 - $500 or more that cPanel propose.

      DA is to cheap already.

      Had enough of the scams on lowendbox, lowendtalk is now being infiltrated by corruption so I have chosen to make an low end exit #lexit for now - you can find me HERE

    • LTnigerLTniger Member

      AnthonySmith said: That would be fine

      DELETE!

      Thanked by 1Ympker

      Wordpress Hosting - Home made!

    • bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
      edited July 1

      @Francisco said:

      @willie said:
      I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

      Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking. They have a designer/graphics person, but I figured I'd lend them a hand with a thread to try to get public feedback.

      Francisco

      Apologies if it's a stupid question/proposal:

      Are there any LET hosting providers willing to open a test reseller hosting account with DirectAdmin control panel?

      I could do with 10 GB storage (even that is generous, but no idea how many zipped files and tries I'd have to make, how much extra space those operations temporarily take etc.) and three control panel accounts (main and two "customer").

      Then try to create user account, migrate a website from cPanel (manually), set up e-mail, integrate it with Cloudflare, set up automated backups of the created accounts, finally make an idiot friendly manual, primarily for my own future reference, but it would be on-line for anyone to use. Something like I did for cPanel and WordPress already:
      https://io.bikegremlin.com/8136/website-migration/

      That would be an average non-expert user return info - if I manage it, anyone could.

      How long?
      I could start today. No idea how long it would take to figure things out and then write about what did the job.

      Mostly harmless™

      I/O Gremlin

    • LTnigerLTniger Member

      @bikegremlin said:

      @Francisco said:

      @willie said:
      I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

      Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking. They have a designer/graphics person, but I figured I'd lend them a hand with a thread to try to get public feedback.

      Francisco

      Apologies if it's a stupid question/proposal:

      Are there any LET hosting providers willing to open a test reseller hosting account with DirectAdmin control panel?

      I could do with 10 GB storage (even that is generous, but no idea how many zipped files and tries I'd have to make, how much extra space those operations temporarily take etc.) and three control panel accounts (main and two "customer").

      Then try to create user account, migrate a website from cPanel (manually), set up e-mail, integrate it with Cloudflare, set up automated backups of the created accounts, finally make an idiot friendly manual, primarily for my own future reference, but it would be on-line for anyone to use. Something like I did for cPanel and WordPress already:
      https://io.bikegremlin.com/8136/website-migration/

      That would be an average non-expert user return info - if I manage it, anyone could.

      How long?
      I could start today. No idea how long it would take to figure things out and then write about what did the job.

      If you restoring files always count double space. For example:

      5 GB backup archive -> 10 GB on server. Just in case. Do not go cheap on storage.

      Speaking about how long... Depends on file count. The more you have the more time it will take to untar it.

      I have restored ~80 GB backup without a problem in 7 minutes on L5XXX Xeon with rust spinners.

      Thanked by 1bikegremlin

      Wordpress Hosting - Home made!

    • @LTniger said:

      @bikegremlin said:

      @Francisco said:

      @willie said:
      I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

      Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking. They have a designer/graphics person, but I figured I'd lend them a hand with a thread to try to get public feedback.

      Francisco

      Apologies if it's a stupid question/proposal:

      Are there any LET hosting providers willing to open a test reseller hosting account with DirectAdmin control panel?

      I could do with 10 GB storage (even that is generous, but no idea how many zipped files and tries I'd have to make, how much extra space those operations temporarily take etc.) and three control panel accounts (main and two "customer").

      Then try to create user account, migrate a website from cPanel (manually), set up e-mail, integrate it with Cloudflare, set up automated backups of the created accounts, finally make an idiot friendly manual, primarily for my own future reference, but it would be on-line for anyone to use. Something like I did for cPanel and WordPress already:
      https://io.bikegremlin.com/8136/website-migration/

      That would be an average non-expert user return info - if I manage it, anyone could.

      How long?
      I could start today. No idea how long it would take to figure things out and then write about what did the job.

      If you restoring files always count double space. For example:

      5 GB backup archive -> 10 GB on server. Just in case. Do not go cheap on storage.

      Speaking about how long... Depends on file count. The more you have the more time it will take to untar it.

      I have restored ~80 GB backup without a problem in 7 minutes on L5XXX Xeon with rust spinners.

      Intended to use really small "test sites". To not waste much time, or storage for figuring stuff out.

      Mostly harmless™

      I/O Gremlin

    • The screenshot you share look great Fran. My only main concern is that I'm hoping everything still works when you migrate from cPanel to DA, not sure how it works for other panels since I haven't used anything besides CyberPanel (testing).

    • @Francisco said:
      The icons for sure need to be changed to something more fitting (they feel a little Windows 95'ish), but I think it's a push in the right direction. No, the cPanel icons are trademarked to cPanel, using them will get you a C&D.

      Well, I do like these new icons.

      @bikegremlin said:

      @Francisco said:

      @willie said:
      I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

      Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking. They have a designer/graphics person, but I figured I'd lend them a hand with a thread to try to get public feedback.

      Francisco

      Apologies if it's a stupid question/proposal:

      Are there any LET hosting providers willing to open a test reseller hosting account with DirectAdmin control panel?

      I could do with 10 GB storage (even that is generous, but no idea how many zipped files and tries I'd have to make, how much extra space those operations temporarily take etc.) and three control panel accounts (main and two "customer").

      Then try to create user account, migrate a website from cPanel (manually), set up e-mail, integrate it with Cloudflare, set up automated backups of the created accounts, finally make an idiot friendly manual, primarily for my own future reference, but it would be on-line for anyone to use. Something like I did for cPanel and WordPress already:
      https://io.bikegremlin.com/8136/website-migration/

      That would be an average non-expert user return info - if I manage it, anyone could.

      How long?
      I could start today. No idea how long it would take to figure things out and then write about what did the job.

      I do have a small DirectAdmin server for friends and family that are scared of black screen of death (called shell ;]) but they need their presence in web. If you want i can hook You up with reseller account on my server so You could write this tutorial for the community.

    • jvnadrjvnadr Member

      Some fixes on their website:

      1. https://license.directadmin.com/contacts.php is not working on their site.
      2. I tried to order a trial license but even their link for trial in their price page, leads me on paying the product.
      Thanked by 1Amitz

      I am here occasionally nowadays, because I really prefer https://talk.lowendspirit.com . You should try it, it is fat-free, delicious with fresh ingredients combined with the deep knowledge of the old chefs!

    • @Ponury_Typ said:

      @Francisco said:
      The icons for sure need to be changed to something more fitting (they feel a little Windows 95'ish), but I think it's a push in the right direction. No, the cPanel icons are trademarked to cPanel, using them will get you a C&D.

      Well, I do like these new icons.

      @bikegremlin said:

      @Francisco said:

      @willie said:
      I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

      Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking. They have a designer/graphics person, but I figured I'd lend them a hand with a thread to try to get public feedback.

      Francisco

      Apologies if it's a stupid question/proposal:

      Are there any LET hosting providers willing to open a test reseller hosting account with DirectAdmin control panel?

      I could do with 10 GB storage (even that is generous, but no idea how many zipped files and tries I'd have to make, how much extra space those operations temporarily take etc.) and three control panel accounts (main and two "customer").

      Then try to create user account, migrate a website from cPanel (manually), set up e-mail, integrate it with Cloudflare, set up automated backups of the created accounts, finally make an idiot friendly manual, primarily for my own future reference, but it would be on-line for anyone to use. Something like I did for cPanel and WordPress already:
      https://io.bikegremlin.com/8136/website-migration/

      That would be an average non-expert user return info - if I manage it, anyone could.

      How long?
      I could start today. No idea how long it would take to figure things out and then write about what did the job.

      I do have a small DirectAdmin server for friends and family that are scared of black screen of death (called shell ;]) but they need their presence in web. If you want i can hook You up with reseller account on my server so You could write this tutorial for the community.

      Would be happy to. :)
      Why did they have to do this in the summer... :)

      Mostly harmless™

      I/O Gremlin

    • LTnigerLTniger Member

      For all those who afraid of DA CLI, there is a nice plugin for GUI:

      https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=48989

      Of-course it needs improvements and active maintenance but it's good and almost replaces CLI.

      Thanked by 1kingjj

      Wordpress Hosting - Home made!

    • ouqouq Member
      edited July 1

      @jvnadr said:
      Some fixes on their website:

      1. https://license.directadmin.com/contacts.php is not working on their site.
      2. I tried to order a trial license but even their link for trial in their price page, leads me on paying the product.

      Their trial licencing is confusing. From memory by trial they really mean money-back policy. So you sign up for a month, then if you don't like it you contact them and they refund you for your recent payment...

      Edit: Oh, or you do this... https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58080

    • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

      @ouq said:

      @jvnadr said:
      Some fixes on their website:

      1. https://license.directadmin.com/contacts.php is not working on their site.
      2. I tried to order a trial license but even their link for trial in their price page, leads me on paying the product.

      Their trial licencing is confusing. From memory by trial they really mean money-back policy. So you sign up for a month, then if you don't like it you contact them and they refund you for your recent payment...

      Edit: Oh, or you do this... https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58080

      Yeah, their trial setup was a bit...funny.

      Not sure why they don't just do timed licenses since i'm assuming they already have it so things suspend when it's due.

      Francisco

      BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
      BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    • MikePTMikePT Member, Provider

      They're doing a great job. I've already configured a server that's ready for production. Took me a few hours, not much hassle. What really needs to be done is the Admin UI that needs certain functions, such as WHM, heh. Well, I guess we're too used to cPanel.

      And of course, DNS license, or something like that... www.directslave.com is an option though.

      Thanked by 1Ympker
    • Daniel15Daniel15 Member
      edited July 1

      @AnthonySmith said:
      For me really while I sit here with DA in 1 tab and WHM in the other and go through it item by item it is not that DA does not 'cover it' it is that in almost every element it is just that little bit more basic in DA.

      I really don't mean for this to sound lazy or negative, but if it does then I hope it is at least taken in the spirit of good intentions and feedback from an actual user.

      For example as I do not think a huge exhaustive list of 300 points of feedback from me will help.

      Take a close look at both these images.

      DNS admin:

      WHM
      image

      DA
      image

      WHM is clear, leaves me with no doubt on where to find what i want while DA seems like a basic version that leaves me hunting, yes I know I can perform any of the functions via cli but this is not what I buy a panel for.

      Now I have not added the new skin to DA yet but I don't see why a skin would add features, I will add the skin now though just in case.

      The new skin is a lot better.

      If you don't want to install their new skin, the demo already has it installed: https://www.directadmin.com/demo.php

      Thanked by 1postcd
    • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Provider

      just to ask humbly

      how can you improve directadmin, till you are not a part of the team or till they havent asked you to collect a feedback on their part

      in case you wish to develop some plugins or skins, its a welcomed idea

      Thanked by 1postcd

      skype id : agentmishra, gtalk id : agentmishra, email : [email protected]

    Sign In or Register to comment.