Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hourly VPS [Different from other threads]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hourly VPS [Different from other threads]

Hi, I'm looking for an hourly VPS.

I've seen the same ones come up again and again on other discussions, however this is my problem:

• I'd prefer to top up the balance, then it goes down every hour. Not top up for the entire month to even use the service for an hour and only subtract the hour
  • I need to be able to pay by PayPal without a credit card
  • There has to be no credit card validation. SMS Is okay.
  • I need to be able to top up a balance of sub 1 dollar (for example, if the hourly price is $0.01, I'd like to be able to top up $0.05 or so)

Is there really any hosts that offer this? I've tried CloudCone but they require the full balance first, Vultr & Linode need a credit card, I've clicked many links on Google but all seem to require the full monthly amount first.

Comments

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

I need to be able to top up a balance of sub 1 dollar (for example, if the hourly price is $0.01, I'd like to be able to top up $0.05 or so)

You know that Paypal charges (atleast for US customers) $0.30 + 2.9% right? So if you paypal me 35 cents, I only get 4 cents of that.

VMHaus supports the rest of your requirements for anything over their 512MB VPS.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

PayPal charges $0.30 + 2.9% normally, with micropayments is $0.05 + 5% so generating an invoice of $0.05 would net the provider $0.00 per transaction, you'll need to find a provider who gives away free service.

• KJLegitKJLegit Member
    edited June 2019

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

I need to be able to top up a balance of sub 1 dollar (for example, if the hourly price is $0.01, I'd like to be able to top up $0.05 or so)

You know that Paypal charges (atleast for US customers) $0.30 + 2.9% right? So if you paypal me 35 cents, I only get 4 cents of that.

VMHaus supports the rest of your requirements for anything over their 512MB VPS.

Well, that's weird. I've topped up 5 cents on cloudcone and it worked perfectly, and Interserver accepted it too. Also, on VMHaus I need to top up $3 minimum (Just noticed you meant this as the rest of the requirements, oops). My paypal doesn't even have $3 at the moment 😂

• emghemgh Member
    edited June 2019

KJLegit said: I've topped up 5 cents on cloudcone

why even

To be clear, I understand not everyone is financially free and so on but if you're on such a budget spend time on getting a sick BF deal or something. Topping up 5 cents at a time seems time consuming and the return is minimal each time.

• @emgh said:

KJLegit said: I've topped up 5 cents on cloudcone

why even

Well... Since the hourly price was reasonable and seemed what I wanted I hoped it would actually bill the amount I have in my credit every hour and suspend the VPS is the balance was too low. But it seems like they want the full amount

Thanked by 1emgh
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@KJLegit said:
    I'd like to be able to top up $0.05 or so

LOL... this is sooo low end :smile:

• @KuJoe said:
    PayPal charges $0.30 + 2.9% normally, with micropayments is $0.05 + 5% so generating an invoice of $0.05 would net the provider $0.00 per transaction, you'll need to find a provider who gives away free service.

Oh well jeez I hoped they got at least a cent or so from it lol

@ITLabs said:

@KJLegit said:
    I'd like to be able to top up $0.05 or so

LOL... this is sooo low end :smile:

Well most VPS' that have a per-hour billing (just for the flex really, you gotta pay monthly anyway) seem to be around 1 cent per hour so I thought it was normal welp

• emgh said: spend time on getting a sick BF deal or something

well it's a bit far really plus I'd need the VPS like once in a while not permanently so it wouldn't do me much use to get it for black friday only

• jamujajamuja Member

@KJLegit said:
    Hi, I'm looking for an hourly VPS.

I've seen the same ones come up again and again on other discussions, however this is my problem:

• I'd prefer to top up the balance, then it goes down every hour. Not top up for the entire month to even use the service for an hour and only subtract the hour
    • I need to be able to pay by PayPal without a credit card
    • There has to be no credit card validation. SMS Is okay.
    • I need to be able to top up a balance of sub 1 dollar (for example, if the hourly price is $0.01, I'd like to be able to top up $0.05 or so)

Is there really any hosts that offer this? I've tried CloudCone but they require the full balance first, Vultr & Linode need a credit card, I've clicked many links on Google but all seem to require the full monthly amount first.

I think you can try Aruba Cloud @ArubaCloud.
    Long time ago I tried all the things you mentioned. I top up balance for one measly dollar from PayPal account without credit card. And I remember it was very good performance, with just one dollar I could transfer a lot of data between servers using their hourly plan.
    I remember one dollar fits for the entire month!

Although to be honest topping up 5 cents is useless because of the things people mentioned above. PayPal or the server company incur charges on micropayment bigger than 5 cents 😁 So there's no point on letting customers to top up very small account. I'd say from business side of things they should let the customer top up at least minimum 10 dollar amount per top up to be worthwhile for their time.
    Honestly of you can't afford to top up that much you probably shouldn't order vps online.

• Im also interested in this. Im new to Vultr and such. I read that if its your first time signing up, you get $50? Then that expires after a month? What about credit you topup? Does that expire too?

I want to install Zimbra on a vps to test something out and it requires 8 gb ram. I read @uptime say that I can run it on Vultr hourly rate then save as snapshot then destroy. Then I can spin up new 8 gb vps and use my snapshot again?

Can someone pls enlighten me? Im a newbie so apologies if I really sound dumb. Thank you!

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited June 2019

@timelapse said:
    Im also interested in this. Im new to Vultr and such. I read that if its your first time signing up, you get $50? Then that expires after a month? What about credit you topup? Does that expire too?

I want to install Zimbra on a vps to test something out and it requires 8 gb ram. I read @uptime say that I can run it on Vultr hourly rate then save as snapshot then destroy. Then I can spin up new 8 gb vps and use my snapshot again?

Can someone pls enlighten me? Im a newbie so apologies if I really sound dumb. Thank you!

The $50 expires in 30 days. afaik topped up credits and affiliate credits don't expire. And yes you can create a snapshot and destroy the VPS and re-create afterwards with the snapshot. You won't get the same IP address though

Btw you can sign up with this link to get $50 for 30 days on Vultr and help me out :)

• uptimeuptime Member

won't get the same IP address

Hetzner and Lunanode offer persistent (aka "floating") IP ... not sure about vultr

Note both the floating IP and snapshots are billed for as well, but at a lower cost than the live vps would be

minimum topup for lunanode is $5

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@uptime said:

Hetzner and Lunanode offer persistent (aka "floating") IP ... not sure about vultr

Note both the floating IP and snapshots are billed for as well, but at a lower cost than the live vps would be

There i reservd IPs for vultr which costs $3/m

Thanked by 1uptime
  • donlidonli Member

@KJLegit said:

Well, that's weird. I've topped up 5 cents on cloudcone and it worked perfectly, and Interserver accepted it too. Also, on VMHaus I need to top up $3 minimum (Just noticed you meant this as the rest of the requirements, oops). My paypal doesn't even have $3 at the moment 😂

You are in the right place to get low end help, but to really help you we need to know what you need this VPS for.

• uptimeuptime Member

@sanvit said:
    reservd IPs for vultr which costs $3/m

Oy. That's more than running a live vps for a month at Hetzner (€2.5) ...

Lowest cost Lunanode monthly would be about $3.50 ($0.00486 hourly)

persistent IP is €1 / $1 per month respectively

Snapshots a few cents per GB per month (billed hourly)

Thanked by 1vimalware

Well, that's weird. I've topped up 5 cents on cloudcone and it worked perfectly, and Interserver accepted it too.

If you send less than the transaction fee ($0.30)
    you made a donation to PayPal and the host gets none.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited June 2019

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

I took a Uber for $0.19 last time (after discount), my PayPal doesn't even show the record. Perhaps Uber is smart enough to not even donate to PayPal

• sanvitsanvit Member

@FAT32 said:

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

I took a Uber for $0.19 last time (after discount), my PayPal doesn't even show the record. Perhaps Uber is smart enough to not even donate to PayPal

Don't big companies add up your charges until it gets higher than $X? AWS sems to do that, not sure with Uber

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • What exactly is your usecase? Having single hour servers is questionable by many providers (because alot of them are just public proxies)

• williewillie Member
    edited June 2019

KJLegit said: I need to be able to pay by PayPal without a credit card.. There has to be no credit card validation. SMS Is okay. I need to be able to top up a balance of sub 1 dollar

Sounds legit.

KJLegit said: for example, if the hourly price is $0.01, I'd like to be able to top up $0.05 or so

Good luck with your budget.

Thanked by 1uptime
    edited June 2019
  • @FAT32 said:

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

how in the hell did you get a $0.19 uber

i'll take an uber from the bar and it's like $9,000

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@SirFoxy said:

Errr because Google sponsor $15 for every trip to/from Google during their event

• @FAT32 said:

@SirFoxy said:

Errr because Google sponsor $15 for every trip to/from Google during their event

google needs to sponsor my trips to the bar

Thanked by 2FAT32 FHR
  • KJLegitKJLegit Member
    edited June 2019

@donli said:

@KJLegit said:

You are in the right place to get low end help, but to really help you we need to know what you need this VPS for.

It'd be used as a load balancer or to test game server setups.

willie said: Good luck with your budget.

well Interserver was giving VPS' for $0.01/mo so I hoped at least someone else did it by the hour.

@ehhthing said:
    What exactly is your usecase? Having single hour servers is questionable by many providers (because alot of them are just public proxies)

It'd be used as a load balancer or to test game server setups.

• uptimeuptime Member

sounds legit

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I had a debit card that rewards $0.10 per transaction. Therefore, I send $0.01 to my our PayPal account from time to time. The recipient account gets nothing, but I can earn $0.09 per transaction.
    Don't ask me which card, as the loophole has been discontinued.

• mlcmlc Member
    edited June 2019

Maybe VPSServer is a good choose, you can add $5 first and start it, you also can add funds from $1. But you must verify your identity.
    Detials: [removed by moderator]

• @sanvit said:

@timelapse said:
    Im also interested in this. Im new to Vultr and such. I read that if its your first time signing up, you get $50? Then that expires after a month? What about credit you topup? Does that expire too?

The $50 expires in 30 days. afaik topped up credits and affiliate credits don't expire. And yes you can create a snapshot and destroy the VPS and re-create afterwards with the snapshot. You won't get the same IP address though

Btw you can sign up with this link to get $50 for 30 days on Vultr and help me out :)

Thank you Sanvit. I registered using your link but it said my prepaid card is not eligible. Then I removed the free credits and I tried to buy credits but again got another error saying declined by my card issuer.

• @uptime said:

Hello @uptime . I created an account on Lunanode but minimum topup was $10

Anyone with a spare, idle 8 gb kvm I can borrow to install Zimbra on?

Im thinking of just going with @intovps since he said theyre offering free snapshots for now.

Thanked by 1intovps