Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[IN PROGRESS] We are building a new Webserver Control Panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[IN PROGRESS] We are building a new Webserver Control Panel

teochristianteochristian Member
edited June 2019 in Help

Hello!

I avoided to write this post as the system is partially finnished but...

I am working for a non profit organization in Romania. At this time, we are creating a new webserver control panel. Some features of the control panel are finnished, some not. The finnished features are used on around 200 public websites, created by our organization. Personally, I am one of the developers. We hope it will be finnished and published, with the help of God, until the middle of august, current year.

We would like to make it available to everyone, but it will not be free, as we would like to offer support and we want to continue to maintain and develop it. We would like it to cost $10 per month per server, for personal use (ie: one account, unlimited features) and $20 per month per server, for hosting providers (ie: unlimited accounts, unlimited features)... Or in other manner, with donations... However, we want to discuss this here, later, with you. We want anyone to be satisfied.

About the panel
This panel is intended to be secure and optimized as to be able to host lots of websites and accounts on same server. This panel is divided into 3 components:

I. Websites [finnished and tested features]

• This makes no difference between websites and subdomains on user end, but there is limiting number of domains and/or subdomains available.
  • Apache, with mod_php (this is much faster than php-fpm)
  • PHP version 7.3 (we are taking into consideration offering multiple versions - if requested)
  • Each website is isolated. The scripts of an website cannot acces/change other's data.
  • Only rootlevel htaccess (to increase the performance)
  • Letsencrypt automatically generated on each website by default but it can be disabled by the user.
  • One click redirection of www to non-www and vice versa. Same for http(s)
  • Redirects (with simple user interface)
  • Custom SSL
  • Manage File Transfer Accounts

In progress:

• DNS - This will allow users to edit the zones of the domains (from websites section). This will also allow admins to name master and slave servers and create custom nameservers.
  • Email - this will allow users to manage the e-mails, on each domain

In progress (hope will be finnished on a very very short time):

• Stats - this will be our own replacement for awstats and webalizer
  • Cron Jobs - simple interface to manage Cron Jobs

II. Databases [finnished and tested features]

• This uses MariaDB (latest version). Features: Create database, Remove, Export, Change password, phpmyadmin

In progress:

• Importing database (for any size files)

NOTE: We would like to support PostgreSQL too and Mongo DB or other, if requested.

III. File Manager [entirely finnished]

The webpanel does not have FTP(s) available. That's because its speed is not the best, there are some security problems etc. To avoid this and to keep the server as clean as possible we developed a web interface for managing files with some features: create, remove, move one / multiple files and directories; file editor and code editor; file reame; file upload (any size) and download; compress and extract files. The performance is much better than FTP. If requested by the clients, we will try to create our FTP server or an alternative software (server and client) but we insist on the web interface ar this time.

This panel comes with two interfaces: one for admins and another for users. The panel is multiserver. The installation program is divided into multiple segments - one for installing webserver, another for databases etc as to keep the servers as clean as possible. We don't want this to be a collection of hundreds of applications because the risk of vulnerabilities becomes higher and because of resource usage.

This is made for the latest version of CentOS, and uses only open source applications (alongside with ours) and it is not compatible with Cloud Linux, as we are using SELinux for a better security. So resource isolation is not pretty good but we are working on this (some ideas will be apreciated). We don't ever plan to minimize the security and disable or recommend working without SELinux.

We do plan to include shortly (hope 'till oficial launch) a completely free application installer, similar to softaculous and fantastico and a backup system (weekend need also to know how you would like it).

I would like to know what would you like see in such a panel, what features etc. We really want it to be simple, fast, as secure as possible, and satisfying the user needs because that's why we are working on it.

If you have questions, ideas, requirements, please tell me. We need ideas! If there is any problem or something wrong please tell me. Nobody is perfect.

Will update the post with some screenshots and more info soon.

Thank you very much for help!
Sorry for typos.

Comments

• I will instead await the screenshots.
    pics or it didn't happen

• @Actavus said:
    I will instead await the screenshots.
    pics or it didn't happen

Will update. I am on Phone right now, I am sorry!

• .htaccess down to 3 levels, is my default. :-|

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • donlidonli Member

@teochristian said:

If you have questions, ideas, requirements, please tell me. We need ideas! If there is any problem or something wrong please tell me. Nobody is perfect.

Make it do everything cPanel does. Make it skinable to look like cPanel. Make it effortless to move accounts from cPanel to yourPanel. Make it cheaper than cPanel - guarantee that the pricing won't change.

Thanked by 2level6 teochristian
  • LeeLee Veteran

Amazed at how many new panels are 'in development' in the last 48 hours.

Thanked by 2vimalware taubin
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited June 2019

@Lee said:

Gold rush :wink:

• @ITLabs said:

@Lee said:

Gold rush :wink:

Low end style

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • teochristianteochristian Member
    edited June 2019

Some screenshots:

NOTE: It will be translated to english. For now it was using GTranslate.

• @Lee said:

Thanks! We started the panel development in 2018, but we started to build terminal scripts for server management from 2017.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    .htaccess down to 3 levels, is my default. :-|

Thank you. We will change that.

• uhhh, the interface looks like it’s out of the ‘90s.

Thanked by 1Kwoon
  • @doghouch said:
    uhhh, the interface looks like it’s out of the ‘90s.

yea make it more simple, flat, less vibrant, and remove the rocks out of the back ground (?)

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited June 2019

That UI reminds me of Contabo - like 95% similarity

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited June 2019

@SirFoxy said:
    remove the rocks out of the back ground (?)

I second that. A beautiful plaza with pigeons and some benches would be fine... we like benches.

• @Lee said:

Not entirely true. Probably people are starting to market themselves more and also people are paying more attention to alternatives due to the cPanel stunt.

• Panel selektor: Is finnished?

• donlidonli Member

@vimalware said:
    Panel selektor: Is finnished?

Version 5.2 ok ?

Thanked by 2ITLabs teochristian
    edited June 2019

@doghouch said:

@FAT32 said:

This is not the final design. We initially wanted to design it to look like an operating system. We looked at some websites and made a temporary look, because we want to ask it here, to design is as you want. We really want it to be user friendly.

@SirFoxy said:

@doghouch said:

yea make it more simple, flat, less vibrant, and remove the rocks out of the back ground (?)

Will do it. Thank you. But we need some ideas.

@doghouch said:

Thank you. Some ideas would ne nice!

Thanks to all!!!

• @vimalware said:
    Panel selektor: Is finnished?

OK

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@teochristian said:

@doghouch said:

How about this:

Thanked by 2teochristian Kwoon
  • @donli said:

@teochristian said:

Make it do everything cPanel does. Make it skinable to look like cPanel. Make it effortless to move accounts from cPanel to yourPanel. Make it cheaper than cPanel - guarantee that the pricing won't change.

Thanks! Will make a similar skin then. Yes, we do plan to build a cPanel migrator. Regarding the features, as I said there are some differences, especially resource isolation, as cPanel is usually installed with Cloud Linux, but we want it to use only open source applications and to make use of SELinux.

edited June 2019

UPDATE: Regarding the prices, we discussed at the Organization and we will not set prices, but there will be a monthly donation system per server (the same old way cPanel did, ie "per server" - no matter if vps or dedicated - but to help business to grow up) anyone donates how much wants, as to be profitable to your business. In this way you help us to help you, by maintaining it updated and developed. Thank you!

• @ITLabs said:

@teochristian said:

@doghouch said:

How about this:

Thank you.

UPDATE: we will create a similar look as cPanel.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • Hi @teochristian , hi everybody !

Teo, I'm really happy to see this initiative, a fellow Romanian here :) I hope I am not hijacking your topic here, but wanted to present the fact that we also built a control panel, you can see it at https://clustercs.com

I've seen on this post what a great feedback the community offers and we are also starving for opinions here. The short story about ClusterCS is that we started in 2004 and we worked with large traffic websites in general. After seeing that handling high traffic is not something you can do with current panels, we started turning our tool into a customer friendly product and we've been working on the current image for more than 3 years. ClusterCS is meant for server owners currently and it does offer the tools needed to handle simple servers and complex cluster architectures. What we do miss right now is a file manager and a per domain management. We are working on both of these items so we allow sub accounts to be able to manage their own emails, files databases etc.

You can see screen shots under https://clustercs.com/product ans more details on the features here https://clustercs.com/features .

Our pricing is as follows:

• free account - 1 server up to 5 domains, statistics limited to 6h
    • $7/mo/single server - 1 server unlimited everything
    • $30/mo/cluster server - if scaling up to a cluster of several servers, it would be $30 for each server.
    • $30/mo development environments - a per account add-on, no matter how many servers are managed, available with a 14 day trial. This is another great feature that differentiates us, it offers the ability to create dev environments and the entire migration between live and dev envs is automated. Further more, the developer can work exactly under the same URL of the main site, while the normal visitors get the live environment.

I've tried to be very short, if anybody is willing to share opinions, we would be very grateful. We can also offer testing licenses if someone wants to dive deeper.

Thank you all and sorry again if it's not appropriate to post on this thread.

Great day to you all!
    Ionut Dumitru

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2019

@doghouch said:

90s at 0:13:

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@FAT32 said:

Indeed ;D

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • idumitru said: I hope I am not hijacking your topic here, but wanted to present the fact that we also built a control panel, you can see it at https://clustercs.com

No problem, @idumitru :blush:

I didn't write this post as an advertisement. But because we are building a control panel and want to make it publicly available, it is good to know what features are needed and how it should look.

edited June 2019

@Ympker said:
    90s at 0:13

I saw :) As I said, we will create a look for it. It, currently, does not have any design, unfortunately. I can say that's one of the hardest parts, to decide a design.

We built multiple designs (most using Gimp) starting from some color palettes and ideas from the web, only to be able to see it in some different ways. We have one which looks like an operating system:

Another which looks like the android menu etc. The themes are orientative and the control panel will not look like these. The screenshots are meant to preview the features.

However we decided, after asking you, to make it look like cPanel (the look will be similar to cPanel, not the same). For this, we would like it to use this color palette (if it is ok):

Thank you all for help!

• level6level6 Member
    edited June 2019

@idumitru said:
    Hi @teochristian , hi everybody !

Teo, I'm really happy to see this initiative, a fellow Romanian here :) I hope I am not hijacking your topic here, but wanted to present the fact that we also built a control panel, you can see it at https://clustercs.com

I've seen on this post what a great feedback the community offers and we are also starving for opinions here. The short story about ClusterCS is that we started in 2004 and we worked with large traffic websites in general. After seeing that handling high traffic is not something you can do with current panels, we started turning our tool into a customer friendly product and we've been working on the current image for more than 3 years. ClusterCS is meant for server owners currently and it does offer the tools needed to handle simple servers and complex cluster architectures. What we do miss right now is a file manager and a per domain management. We are working on both of these items so we allow sub accounts to be able to manage their own emails, files databases etc.

You can see screen shots under https://clustercs.com/product ans more details on the features here https://clustercs.com/features .

Our pricing is as follows:

• free account - 1 server up to 5 domains, statistics limited to 6h
    • $7/mo/single server - 1 server unlimited everything
    • $30/mo/cluster server - if scaling up to a cluster of several servers, it would be $30 for each server.
    • $30/mo development environments - a per account add-on, no matter how many servers are managed, available with a 14 day trial. This is another great feature that differentiates us, it offers the ability to create dev environments and the entire migration between live and dev envs is automated. Further more, the developer can work exactly under the same URL of the main site, while the normal visitors get the live environment.

I've tried to be very short, if anybody is willing to share opinions, we would be very grateful. We can also offer testing licenses if someone wants to dive deeper.

Thank you all and sorry again if it's not appropriate to post on this thread.

Great day to you all!
    Ionut Dumitru

Since you hijacked the thread, some advice that may sound infuriating. Why don't your two development groups combine efforts?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited June 2019

@teochristian said:
    Hello!

with the help of God,

Nothing like some good old holy water spray blessing:

There. God is with you, nothing will stop you now.

I would say "good luck", but that would be needless and a blasphemy in these circumstances, now the big one is backing you on this.

Thanked by 1Akaike