Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS as windows network disk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS as windows network disk

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited February 2012 in General

So, i bought a backup VPS from hostination
And i was wondering, how can i use this VPS as a windows network disk?

Please let me know :)

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2012

Quote from other post...

"Samba isn't designed for a high latency environment"

(I don't know about this, but I know Samba sucks when used via internet).

• CIFS will be what you need, probably.

• Or WEBDAV, if your provider blocks non-local Samba (like mine). Webdav also supports https. You can also mount it via SSHFS with the Dokan program: http://dokan-dev.net/en/

• @joodle said: backup VPS from hostination

@Raymii offered the best suggestion of WEBDAV, but sshfs is also an option, just submit a ticket and I'll enable fuse.

• SSHFS is also pretty cool. Although wont be well supported on Windows.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited February 2012

Okay got it working

This is what i did:
    Used Vsftpd, made some changes to the config file
    Made an user on the VPS, via Vsftpd i "jailed" the user into /home/user
    Added the disk to Windows using FTP

And this works pretty good and fast :)

• @joodle said: And this works pretty good and fast :)

That is neither of the options presented here, but..... It works for you and you are happy with it, all that really matters :)

• Yup, i can recommend Hostigation
    Fast servers, and good support :)

• @Joodle But FTP is insecure and submits passwords in plain text.

• never had problems with it

• I find that samba works as well as can be expected given my internet connection. I've been running samba over a pptp vpn. I guess it's all about expectations.

• I tried setting up samba, but i don't know howto connect to it

• Samba over vpn works a lot better than plain samba. Ovh is bundling exactly this service to many hosting offers. According to my trials, this is a viable way to share files. Plain samba does not travel through company firewalls, but vpn+samba often do. On my trials the vpn connection seem to change the ISP bandwith shaping, because file operation using plain samba over Internet could hang or experience extreme slowness (as expected); while samba over vpn mostly works (but it is slower than proper solutions, such as ftp or webdav). I have further experimented with my Hostigation KVM LEB, and I tried iScsi over Internet (whitout VPN), using the native Windows 7 iScsi initiator. This is really stretching the protocol, because it is not meant to be used over a WAN connection. If someone is crazy enough to test this, there is a good step-to-step tutorial on setting the iScsi target at the howtoforge.com web site. The howto is called "Using iSCSI On Ubuntu 10.04 (Initiator And Target)". You need KVM because the iScsi module is not in the standard Ubuntu kernel, and you cannot add it on a OpenVZ virtual machine. I had no luck installing iScsi target on my OpenVZ LEB's, but maybe you want to open a ticket with the provider: this would be a useful feature at least on backup VM's. When you connect the iScsi target, Windows see it as local drive and start an aggressive buffering feature. File operations are extremely fast, way faster than over a ftp or webdav connection, but there is a catch. If you accept the Windows defaults, write operations on the iScsi device are done in background over long time periods. If you shutdown Windows or close the Internet connection while the write operation is still pending, you silently lose data. It is exactly the same problem you experience when removing a Usb drive without propely disconnect it.

• Anyone have success with FUSE and dokan?